Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2010, 11:20 AM   #101
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaosinc View Post
Wow... looking good although I'm not sure I could see how anyone could leave the NW for much of anything...

And I think you left a mirror image of your cat here... LOL

There are a lot of parts I miss about the PNW, but that being said i can't really handle the drizzling rain or the cold. But you're right, nothing beats the northwest summer time!

That is hilarious about the cats! we picked ours up a little over a year ago at the humane society in Tri-Cities, WA. I suppose they could be related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Alex,
What is with the black Acer box under the display?
Haha, I was wondering if someone was going to see that! Acer just had a deal, $119 for there 20" LCD, and I had to pick one up for my wife. Before this she had been using a ~15 year old sony LCD my family had picked up when it was brand new. Yep, 15 years old, one of the first widescreen lcds ever...

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2010, 06:31 PM   #102
bluerexy
Registered Member

this is awesome. congrats on getting married. if you ever go back to bora bora, can you knock some of those clams off and send them to me? haha.

bluerexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2010, 10:17 PM   #103
beex215
Registered Member

congrats on marriage and tank

beex215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2010, 08:25 AM   #104
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerexy View Post
this is awesome. congrats on getting married. if you ever go back to bora bora, can you knock some of those clams off and send them to me? haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beex215 View Post
congrats on marriage and tank
Thank you! I'll see what i can do about those clams...

-Alex
Unread 08/09/2010, 08:34 AM   #105
Taqpol
Registered Member

I really need to get my camera back. My wife's point and shoot has been great for documenting the build but it really has trouble with tank shots. That being said:

I got all my stuff back! Also, the three Carberryi anthias had stayed hidden the entire time since I added them to the tank on Friday. Now that my trio of chalk bass are back in there they are finally out and about! In this picture you can also see the Blonde naso (a new addition) and my old Chevron tang that made the trip across the country.

My anemone tank is the only one with lights right now (my prototype LED pendant) so it has the onerous duty of holding all my corals until I can get the lights setup over my tank and the dimming feature figured out on the Arduino. Its quite full...

My wife's Picasso clown pair that thankfully made the shipping.

Lastly, awhile ago I submitted a photo to a certain reef website I can't name here's photo contest where the grand prize was a fancy commercial LED fixture. Turns out my picture did not make it into the top ten, but it did make it into the first seventeen that the judges narrowed it down too!

Facebook link.

-Alex
Unread 08/09/2010, 08:48 AM   #106
Tank2379
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post

Looks like he's stuck in the Sand if you look at it... You should help that little guy...

80G Frag system- Powered by 2X MH Pendants with 250W 20K Radiums, DIY S
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2010, 06:52 PM   #107
salali
Registered Member

Nice tank the chevron tang looks good. What is the name of the birdnest at the anemone tank?

salali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2010, 09:26 PM   #108
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

Thumbs up clowns

those picasso clowns are gorrrrrgeous!!!!!!

May I ask where you got them from and approx how much?

Thanks kindly,

Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2010, 10:35 PM   #109
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Looks like he's stuck in the Sand if you look at it... You should help that little guy...
Are you talking about the snail? If so, he's just on the front tank glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salali View Post
Nice tank the chevron tang looks good. What is the name of the birdnest at the anemone tank?
I'm so glad my Chevron made it through shipping. There are two birdsnest species in the nem tank. One is an ORA green birdsnest Seriatopora caliendrum, the other is a standard pink birdsnest, Seriatopora hystrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohal Tang Tim View Post
those picasso clowns are gorrrrrgeous!!!!!!

May I ask where you got them from and approx how much?

Thanks kindly,

Tim
My wife actually won the pair of them at a raffle at a "local" fish stores third anniversary sale. She bought $20 worth of raffle tickets and put them all in for the Picasso's, so technically they cost me $10 a fish. Joking aside, they definitely look like "Grade A's" to me, so fish stores normally sell them from $100-150 a fish.

-Alex
Unread 08/10/2010, 05:50 AM   #110
crvz
Team RC Member

congrats on getting the fish and corals back.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2010, 05:55 AM   #111
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

Talking nice win!!!!!

Wow! you won the clownfish!!!! Incredibly good score!!!!!!!!!

they are gorgeous and would be easily worth 200 a pair or more for sure.....

very nice.

Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2010, 11:49 AM   #112
Blitzburggirl
Registered Member

Welcome to the area Beautiful build!

Blitzburggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2010, 09:18 AM   #113
Padrino
Registered Member

Alex,
Whats the status on your LED build for the DT? Are you still planning on using the Apex to control the LED intensity? I assume you will be able to use the Apex as a dimmer?
Nice update alex, Looking forward to the progress!
Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2010, 12:05 PM   #114
palmer373
Registered Member

are you going to skin the stand so you can keep the inside messy but have it look nice outside? looks great!

palmer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2010, 09:42 PM   #115
drummereef
Team RC Member

Sorry it's taken so long to get over here. Really excited to see what's going on with the new tank but the pics are unavailable. And you know how much I like pics!!!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2010, 08:40 AM   #116
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburggirl View Post
Welcome to the area Beautiful build!
Thank you! Any good LFS's you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Alex,
Whats the status on your LED build for the DT? Are you still planning on using the Apex to control the LED intensity? I assume you will be able to use the Apex as a dimmer?
Nice update alex, Looking forward to the progress!
Rob
The LED build was supposed to be done for the main tank on Friday, but on putting one of my power supplies back together a screwed threw a thermocouple like an idiot. Now the things busted and I'm waiting on a part.

I might use my APEX to dim the lights over the cube tank since they use Meanwell's (even though they are "p" type), but the main tank uses DIY driver boards thanks to DWZM and i am going to be dimming them individually with a 5v PWM signal from an Arduino. I promise there will be much more details on this once I finally get the light hung over the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer373 View Post
are you going to skin the stand so you can keep the inside messy but have it look nice outside? looks great!
I will most definitely skin the stand, but even though it looks ugly to me right now the most important part is to get all my major systems running at full capacity before I spend time on "frivolous" things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Sorry it's taken so long to get over here. Really excited to see what's going on with the new tank but the pics are unavailable. And you know how much I like pics!!!
Glad to have you, and I'm sure your input will be greatly appreciated. Its all your guys' fault that the pictures were down, photobucket free accounts just can't handle the bandwidth this thread draws!

-Alex
Unread 08/16/2010, 12:37 PM   #117
denash24
Me too!

Looking great and congrats on your wedding.

140G rimless bare bottom mostly SPS
denash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2010, 02:04 PM   #118
sps aquaria
Registered Member

congratulations for the wedding and the tank is looking awesome

Current Tank Info: custom made 200g acrylic zeovit sps aquarium
sps aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2010, 08:35 PM   #119
drummereef
Team RC Member

Just went through the build and it looks awesome Alex! Congrats on getting married and what a beautiful spot for your honeymoon. You're making me want to get some more fish though...

Unread 08/17/2010, 09:03 PM   #120
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denash24 View Post
Looking great and congrats on your wedding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sps aquaria View Post
congratulations for the wedding and the tank is looking awesome
Thanks!

Quote:
Just went through the build and it looks awesome Alex! Congrats on getting married and what a beautiful spot for your honeymoon. You're making me want to get some more fish though...
I agree! Hurry up and get more fish!

-Alex
Unread 08/18/2010, 11:15 PM   #121
Taqpol
Registered Member

Lighting Update

I still have a little more work to do and some testing, but I hope to get it hung over the tank tomorrow. (Sorry for the mess in these pictures...)

The frame is made entirely out of 2x4's and 2x6's joined together with glue and pocket hole screws. The part on the back is going to screw directly into the five wall studs behind and twelve inches above the tank. The piano hinges allow me to flip the front part up and against the wall in case I really need to get into the tank to do some maintenance. The great part about this design is when I finally get around to building a canopy for my tank (more like the shell of a canopy) it will slide onto the tank and over the light fixture, completely covering it from view.

All five heatsinks are mounted to universal omni-directional speaker mounts I found at a local radio shack. This will allow me to rotate or angle the LED fixtures independently and at any angle I choose, so that I can really play with the directionality of light given to us by LEDs. I know for a fact I will be angling the two exterior fixtures towards the center of the tank to maximize their coverage.

Coincidentally, two 2x6's plus the length of the speaker mount was the exact distance from my wall that i needed to center the fixtures over the tank.

2" stainless steel machine screws coupled with nylon locking nuts inserted through holes drilled in the fins hold the fixtures to the speaker mounts. I did all these holes freehand (no drill press...) so please excuse the catty wompus screw in this picture. The other fixtures are much better.

Meanwell SP-320-24 with built in PFC protection.

Hole drilled though the back 2x6 so that the power supply power cords can drop straight through to the dedicated 20A circuit underneath my main tank.

Barrier strips allow me to connect the multiple 24v supplies and Grounds from all ten drivers to a single wire going back to the power supply. I have two strips, one for the blues and one for the whites, divided evenly between 24v from the two different power supplies and the grounds for the individual power supplies.

DIY drivers were located on the mobile 2x6 directly in front of their respective LED fixtures.

Since I was lucky enough to have access to my father's CNC machine for pre drilling and tapping, I used Arctic Silver thermal paste and screws instead of thermal epoxy this time around. Those are #4-40 stainless steel 1/4" screws with a hex top and nylon washers holding the stars to the pre polished heatsinks.

A finished fixture.

-Alex
Unread 08/18/2010, 11:18 PM   #122
drummereef
Team RC Member

Your Dad has a CNC machine? Now I'm freakin' jealous! Awesome job on the fixture Alex. Looks great.

Unread 08/18/2010, 11:28 PM   #123
Taqpol
Registered Member

The 5v source for the CAT4101 driver as well as all ten 5v PWM signals are controlled by a Seeeduino Mega.

For simplicities sake I am only going to control the blues and the whites individually for awhile, but the overarching goal is to control all ten channels sperately and have a sunrise/sunset the proceedes east to west across my tank. Here is the wiring harness i constructed using a 12 pin molex connector to keep all the various PWM cables straight.

Previously i just used the 5v out on the Arduino plugged into the 5v and PWM ports to do all my testing, but now i had to actually figure out how to program the Arduino and use the PWM signals. Good thing the programming of this beast is extremely well documented.

Here is the code I uploaded to the Arduino that is a simple "All lights on full blast":
Code:
int led1Pin = 2;
int led2Pin = 3;
int led3Pin = 4;
int led4Pin = 5;    
int led5Pin = 6;
int led6Pin = 8;
int led7Pin = 9;
int led8Pin = 10;
int led9Pin = 11;
int led10Pin = 12;

void setup(){}
void loop(){ 
  analogWrite(led1Pin, 255);  
  analogWrite(led2Pin, 255); 
  analogWrite(led3Pin, 255); 
  analogWrite(led4Pin, 255); 
  analogWrite(led5Pin, 255);
  analogWrite(led6Pin, 255);
  analogWrite(led7Pin, 255); 
  analogWrite(led8Pin, 255); 
  analogWrite(led9Pin, 255); 
  analogWrite(led10Pin, 255); 
}
And voila!

Can you see the single Neutral White in this set of twelve LEDs? Probably not with this point and shoot camera, but once I get my SLR back I'll try and take a few more true color picture comparisons for everyone.

Now all I need to do is finish wiring the last four fixtures, mount this beast to my wall, and hope everything still works!

For more details on whats going on behind the scene, go ahead and check out my DIY LED thread.

-Alex
Unread 08/18/2010, 11:44 PM   #124
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Your Dad has a CNC machine? Now I'm freakin' jealous! Awesome job on the fixture Alex. Looks great.
Technically its his works CNC machine, but he did tell me he could offer its services, for a nominal fee of course. Now that the hard part is done for the heat sinks (programming where the holes need to be) I could pop out a bunch more of those very easily if i ever needed to expand.

-Alex
Unread 08/19/2010, 06:56 AM   #125
fsugmoney
Registered Member

sick build!

fsugmoney is offline   Reply With Quote