Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Exclamation What’s the first step to take

I want to start a 10 gal tank and I want to know where to start I have never had experience with saltwater tank or reef tanks which I don’t know what the difference is but it would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction I have a tank already.

Stevoosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 10:48 PM   #2
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoosborn View Post
I want to start a 10 gal tank and I want to know where to start I have never had experience with saltwater tank or reef tanks which I don’t know what the difference is but it would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction I have a tank already.
I just want to make sure I take all the right steps to insure the safety of the plants and animals and make sure I run the tank the best way I possibly can thank you for the hel in advanced

Unread 11/19/2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Read new to hobby stickies. The difference between a "regular tank" and a reef tank is a reef tank has coral.
Minimum You're stuff gonna need (knowledge is by far the most valuable thing to have): powerhead, salt mix, heater, filter, test kit.

Start researching (LEARN THE NITROGEN CYCLE!!!!!) And learning new terms. Good luck post any questions and welcome!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
First off - Welcome!! What are you thinking you would like to see in your tank? Coral? Fish only? Both? Freshwater is easy in comparison. Saltwater takes patience, chemistry, and an endless supply of cash. Have you researched to see if there is a saltwater/reef club in your area? My son and I joined our local club (Bay Area Reefers) and they have been fantastic at guiding us and have been very generous with second hand equipment and even great corals.
Cheers! Mark

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 06:12 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

first step is admitting you have a problem...
yes..saltwater is an addiction...

second step is deciding if that problem is going to be fish only or if corals will be involved..
third step is realizing that all you need for a successful tank is
#1-A tank to hold water
#2-saltwater
#3-1.5-2lbs of porous rock per gallon
#4-A powerhead for circulation
#5-A heater if the room temperature is below 76
#6-A decent light if corals are in your plans..

Unread 11/20/2017, 07:09 AM   #6
nanosteve309
Registered Member

As far as the saltwater goes, you could always buy it from your local fish store. If you decide you want to mix your own just make sure you use RODI water.

nanosteve309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
First off - Welcome!! What are you thinking you would like to see in your tank? Coral? Fish only? Both? Freshwater is easy in comparison. Saltwater takes patience, chemistry, and an endless supply of cash. Have you researched to see if there is a saltwater/reef club in your area? My son and I joined our local club (Bay Area Reefers) and they have been fantastic at guiding us and have been very generous with second hand equipment and even great corals.
Cheers! Mark
thank you and i have not searched to see if there is any club in my area is there a way to do it or do i just search it online

Unread 11/20/2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Daddi0
Registered Member

yeah, try searching the area groups here on Reef Central and the old internet.

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 01:50 PM   #9
nanosteve309
Registered Member

What part of NY are you from?

nanosteve309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Therinx
Registered Member

Everythings right here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 05:10 PM   #11
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanosteve309 View Post
What part of NY are you from?
Central New York live in a small town near Oneonta by if you know where that is

Unread 11/21/2017, 04:03 AM   #12
devildog999
That Guy

10 gallon system could prove difficult though, just a heads up. I started years ago with a small system and for a beginner, I found it more difficult because it is so much harder to keep things stable. The smaller the system, the more each and every thing impacts the system. Bigger system going to cost more but I think it will make things a bit easier as well. That was true for me anyway.

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 11:06 AM   #13
JamesZebedee
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi there, I imagine that you are getting through the suggested reading guides. I imagine that you will find a lot of comments that 10 gallon is going to be very small and difficult, especially for a newcomer.

I suggest you read up on nano tanks in particular. Alternatively, if you were to choose to go bigger, the 10 gallon may be useful for quarantine, or as a sump/refugium.

Alternatively, if you are new to fishkeeping in general, a 10gallon freshwater tank may be a good first step, and you can get the nitrogen cycle and pH under control, rather than going straight to Ca, K Mg issues.

JamesZebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 11:37 AM   #14
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesZebedee View Post
Hi there, I imagine that you are getting through the suggested reading guides. I imagine that you will find a lot of comments that 10 gallon is going to be very small and difficult, especially for a newcomer.

I suggest you read up on nano tanks in particular. Alternatively, if you were to choose to go bigger, the 10 gallon may be useful for quarantine, or as a sump/refugium.

Alternatively, if you are new to fishkeeping in general, a 10gallon freshwater tank may be a good first step, and you can get the nitrogen cycle and pH under control, rather than going straight to Ca, K Mg issues.
i have had freshwater fish tanks for years i am very well experienced with them i have read allot on how smaller saltwater tanks can prove to be very difficult but i have also seen people say that as long as your doing frequent water changes and checking parameters daily that smaller tanks are fine and those things im willing to do i have the tank i just want to get it set up and running i dont want to put anything in it just want to have it going so i can try to keep parameters good if i can do that for a couple months i will then put something in it im looking for the best items to use on the tank as in filter, substrate, lighting etc etc and what different things do i need if i want a reef tank or just a saltwater tank

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:54 AM   #15
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
i have had freshwater fish tanks for years i am very well experienced with them i have read allot on how smaller saltwater tanks can prove to be very difficult but i have also seen people say that as long as your doing frequent water changes and checking parameters daily that smaller tanks are fine and those things im willing to do i have the tank i just want to get it set up and running i dont want to put anything in it just want to have it going so i can try to keep parameters good if i can do that for a couple months i will then put something in it im looking for the best items to use on the tank as in filter, substrate, lighting etc etc and what different things do i need if i want a reef tank or just a saltwater tank
Minor suggestion, punctuation would make reading your comment less painful.

I'd say not even daily testing is needed. Weekly is fine. Daily if you are trying to nail down some manner of dosing program if corals start requiring it. I think you are saying you won't add anything for months, that isn't necessary. Get it cycled, then add some livestock. You won't get much practice maintaining parameters on a tank with nothing in it. As for suggestions of equipment, you don't need much for a 10 gallon. I used a 2 bulb t5 fixture, HOB filter, heater, and 10 lbs rock, 10lbs sand.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 03:15 PM   #16
JamesZebedee
Registered Member

Quote:
i have had freshwater fish tanks for years i am very well experienced with them
Fair enough. At least you know what you are getting into. I assumed from your initial message that you had never kept fish.

I'm also about to start my first marine tank after a long history of freshwater tanks. It's exciting.

JamesZebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 04:54 PM   #17
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesZebedee View Post
Fair enough. At least you know what you are getting into. I assumed from your initial message that you had never kept fish.

I'm also about to start my first marine tank after a long history of freshwater tanks. It's exciting.
Gotta love fish I’m just trying to make sure I’m as prepaired as I can be gong into this hobby don’t like seeing animals suffering or dying

Unread 11/21/2017, 04:56 PM   #18
Stevoosborn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Minor suggestion, punctuation would make reading your comment less painful.

I'd say not even daily testing is needed. Weekly is fine. Daily if you are trying to nail down some manner of dosing program if corals start requiring it. I think you are saying you won't add anything for months, that isn't necessary. Get it cycled, then add some livestock. You won't get much practice maintaining parameters on a tank with nothing in it. As for suggestions of equipment, you don't need much for a 10 gallon. I used a 2 bulb t5 fixture, HOB filter, heater, and 10 lbs rock, 10lbs sand.
If I was going to do a reef tank what kind of led lights would I need to get

Unread 11/21/2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Bruce51
Registered Member

depends on the tank size and what corals you want to keep. Do LOTS of research before you even start. I researched for almost 2 years before I started my first marine aquarium, and still spend about and hr a day. I think the real key is water stability, so the smaller the volume of water the harder it is to keep stable.

Bruce51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 01:12 PM   #20
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
If I was going to do a reef tank what kind of led lights would I need to get
I had a 2 bulb t5 light for my 10 gallon. If I were to start it up again, I'd look at https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/nano-light-touch/

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10gal, nano, newbie, saltwater