Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Peyton_Quilllen
Registered Member

Question Safe Paint for saltwater aquariums?

Can anyone please tell me if there is a safe paint out there that can be used to paint decor for my saltwater aquarium? I was planning to buy some fake coral ( like shown in the picture ) and painting them? But I dont know of any kind of paint that would be safe? So if you guys know I would really appreciate it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC1-1-l.jpg (24.7 KB, 156 views)
Peyton_Quilllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2011, 01:39 PM   #2
hebygb
Registered Member

Safe is one thing, but your best choice (most durable, and safe), would be epoxy paint. You can get clear and use dyes to achieve the nuances of coloration. Epoxy paint, at least that which I am familiar with, is naturally translucent, you can use many thin coats to achieve the desired look and coloration.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Peyton_Quilllen
Registered Member

Thanks! Where could I find that at?

Unread 06/06/2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Peyton_Quilllen
Registered Member

What about nontoxic acrylic paint or maybe even facepaint?

Unread 06/06/2011, 03:26 PM   #5
SkullV
They Got My Number

Krylon Fusion is 100% Reef Safe. Let it cure for 7 days out of the water before putting it in the water.

SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2011, 03:44 PM   #6
kissman
Registered Member

are you painting the glass? I used acrylic paint from Home Depot got a sample can for a few dollars and rolled it on the back. worked like a charm used colbot blue i believe it was

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2011, 05:48 PM   #7
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissman View Post
are you painting the glass? I used acrylic paint from Home Depot got a sample can for a few dollars and rolled it on the back. worked like a charm used colbot blue i believe it was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton_Quilllen View Post
Can anyone please tell me if there is a safe paint out there that can be used to paint decor for my saltwater aquarium? I was planning to buy some fake coral ( like shown in the picture ) and painting them? But I dont know of any kind of paint that would be safe? So if you guys know I would really appreciate it!
^^^^

Unread 06/07/2011, 11:30 AM   #8
hebygb
Registered Member

Krylon will work fine in many instances in and around our saltwater tanks, but does tend to flake off over time. Typically if you are OK with coraline covering the decorations I would say Krylon or nothing is fine, however I am under the impression that since you are painting coral you are interested in using color and maintaining that color... perhaps for a FO tank. You may even want to clean it from time to time... Epoxy paint is the best choice for those needs/wants.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2011, 12:14 PM   #9
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebygb View Post
Krylon will work fine in many instances in and around our saltwater tanks, but does tend to flake off over time. Typically if you are OK with coraline covering the decorations I would say Krylon or nothing is fine, however I am under the impression that since you are painting coral you are interested in using color and maintaining that color... perhaps for a FO tank. You may even want to clean it from time to time... Epoxy paint is the best choice for those needs/wants.
If you let the Krylon cure for a full 7 days out of water it will not flake.

Unread 06/07/2011, 04:01 PM   #10
gar732
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebygb View Post
I wanted to do the same with a dead stag that I wanted to paint to use as hitching posts for seahorses. I though about using automotive paints and clear coat but I wasn't sure if it would be reef safe. Can you tell me a specific brand of epoxy paint to use?

gar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Micki
Premium Member

What kind of paint did anyone end up using?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2011, 04:46 PM   #12
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
What kind of paint did anyone end up using?

I used water based acrylic paint from Home Depot, rolled it on never had a problem

Unread 11/07/2011, 05:09 PM   #13
Micki
Premium Member

Was this for the tank wall? I want to use some kind of paint for some aquarium decoration. Krylon infussion is only in spray paint that I am aware of an dthat's a little hard to work with when trying to paint a scene or something.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Unread 11/07/2011, 05:16 PM   #14
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
Was this for the tank wall? I want to use some kind of paint for some aquarium decoration. Krylon infussion is only in spray paint that I am aware of an dthat's a little hard to work with when trying to paint a scene or something.

Yes this was used on the back wall on the outside of the tank just a colbot blue.

Unread 11/07/2011, 05:32 PM   #15
Micki
Premium Member

Ok thanks, I'm looking for someone that's used it inside their tank.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Unread 09/07/2014, 07:37 PM   #16
ffparamedikiwi
Registered Member

i'm a little late to this thread, but would it be okay if I used the Krylon plastic paint to paint a screen that will COVER my tank but not touch the water? i would think so, right?

ffparamedikiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 08:28 PM   #17
j tavares
Registered Member

Fine, LET dry a few days

j tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 07:26 PM   #18
geef64
Registered Member

Which brand of epoxy paint

Current Tank Info: 125 RR with light stocking and starting corals
geef64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 11:57 PM   #19
Dawnflorenty
Registered Member

I think you need to hire a professional for this purpose it will good for you .!

Unread 09/17/2014, 11:27 AM   #20
E_Aquatics
Registered Member.

Not trying to high jack this thread but I'm doing an internal coast to coast beananimal overflow and I wanted to paint the front piece of glass of the overflow to hide the fittings in the back and leave the bottom piece of glass clear so that light goes through. What paint can I use that won't flake off overtime or just peel off the glass. This will obviously be inside the tank.

E_Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 12:03 PM   #21
HereFishy1
Registered Member

start a new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Aquatics View Post
Not trying to high jack this thread but I'm doing an internal coast to coast beananimal overflow and I wanted to paint the front piece of glass of the overflow to hide the fittings in the back and leave the bottom piece of glass clear so that light goes through. What paint can I use that won't flake off overtime or just peel off the glass. This will obviously be inside the tank.
It would be best to start a new thread, so as not to confuse the question she asked....

HereFishy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 04:17 PM   #22
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Krylon Fusion is 100% Reef Safe. Let it cure for 7 days out of the water before putting it in the water.
I am not sure where this comes from.. but the magical properties of krylon fusion are regularly passed along in reef forums and have taken on a life of their own.

What set the original "Krylon Fusion for Plastic" paint apart form other spray paints was the amount and type of solvent (read: Volitile Organic Compound) that was used in the mix. It may have had plastic monomers in it as well, to create a plastic coating as it dried. I can not confirm that part. In any case it etched itself onto plastic surfaces as it dried. That fact took on a life of its own and the urban legends began.... "reef safe" with the ability to "stick to anything forever, even underwater"...

That was nonsense then, and even more nonsensical now. Krylon Fusion, like all other paints, has far fewer VOCs than it used to, and therefore, for lack of better words, sucks.

Reef Safe? Yeah, most likely, as is just about any other spray paint

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2016, 11:50 PM   #23
_Snuffles
Registered Member

i would like to add that you should be careful what you actually do to those, i had mexican turbo snails actually eat paint off of painted pvc and an overflow that i modded. so just keep that in mind... but it hadn't seem to of done anything to them considering they lived 2 years after the fact that they cleaned all the paint off.

_Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 05:28 PM   #24
Luca_Brasi
Registered Member

Any food grade spray paint should work. If you're painting plastic then Krylon fusion is food safe. Also rust oleum epoxy paint for appliances is food Grade paint