Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2009, 03:47 PM   #1
aquaticdiver
Registered Member

RO/DI Water

Ok this is probably a super noob question but I personally find this subject on water confusing. What exactly is RO/DI water? Can a person use just distilled water that you buy at the store? Do stores sell RO/DI water? Why is RO/DI so much better or preffered?

Thanks!

aquaticdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 04:59 PM   #2
createyourown
Registered Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RO/DI#Reef_aquariums

createyourown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 05:18 PM   #3
roblikesfish
Registered Member

Most fish stores usually will sell RO/DI water mixed with salt or just plain water if you ask ......

You can also buy RO water from stores like wal mart.. ( Seen those filling stations at wal mart or other grocery stores ? That's RO water.

If you go the RO water route you probably need to check the filter change date which is usually posted on the machine. I supported a tank with R water for almost a year before I tore it down... Over time you will figure out the guy/gal who changes the filters schedule and show up when it was changed that day get your water and move on

As for Bottled distilled that's a lot of water bottles !!

roblikesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 05:49 PM   #4
aqua_reef_01
Registered Member

Im going to try to simplify it. tap water has a lot of impurities. RO water is about 95% pure. RO/DI water is 100% pure. if your filters are up to date. The best way is to buy a RO/DI unit it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run. If you plan on salt water for the long haul that is the way to go.

aqua_reef_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 06:06 PM   #5
04blackillac
Registered Member

What if you have a 500gal aquarium? That is a lot of RO/DI water to get.

04blackillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 06:09 PM   #6
aqua_reef_01
Registered Member

thats why you buy the unit to make it your self.

Unread 07/27/2009, 06:12 PM   #7
sedor
Registered Member

RO/DI units do not have to be expensive. Mine cost right around $100, and its a 5-stage 100 GPD (gallon per day) unit. IMO, its a necessity in this hobby. We spend so much time and money, trying to make everything so perfect in our tanks, its silly not to make a small investment in the "life blood" of our systems.

Unread 07/27/2009, 07:42 PM   #8
aquaticdiver
Registered Member

Well I tore down my 10 gal and i am fixing to start up a 3 gallon picotope so I can't make myself believe that I really need to buy a RO/DI unit.

aquaticdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 07:53 PM   #9
aqua_reef_01
Registered Member

oh i didn't read the current tank part. sorry about that i was going to ask you how many gallon.

Unread 07/27/2009, 08:04 PM   #10
zezeta
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryandlf
RO/DI units do not have to be expensive. Mine cost right around $100, and its a 5-stage 100 GPD (gallon per day) unit. IMO, its a necessity in this hobby. We spend so much time and money, trying to make everything so perfect in our tanks, its silly not to make a small investment in the "life blood" of our systems.
Where did you get your system for $100? I am in the process of setting up a tank so I don't know where to get a good deal.

Also to answer the orginal poster question, RO/DI water will help to keep algae growth down in your tank and other benefits that other people have stated.

zezeta is offline   Reply With Quote