Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2015, 05:07 PM   #5001
stlcard
Registered Member

your sump room is insane. Your are an organized jedi. god almighty...

I noticed on your conduit run page, you mentioned Melev has a good write up on conduit and sump rooms? could you site a link for me please? i want to relocate my apex setup and never thought of just extending the EB8 Outlets with conduit instead of extension cords.

stlcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 05:11 PM   #5002
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
You might be right and thanks for the suggestion... Also, going through a little algae bloom since re-doing the tank. The rock I used cooked for probably a year with very little light (just ambient from the display), but now that the rock is under halides it's going through a bloom which is really ticking off a lot of the corals in the tank. I think it's a combo of everything at this point. Ugh...
Ride it out man, no sense doing anything drastic for a few months.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 10:12 AM   #5003
garrettm
Registered Member

I wanted to ask you how you are feeling about your sand choice? I know you have experienced a lot of different sand types and I am in the process of choosing between CaribSea Special Grade, Fiji Pink, and the ocean direct original grade that you just used. Having used all of these sands what would you recommend? Are you getting any flakes blowing around now? Thanks!

garrettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 10:10 PM   #5004
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcard View Post
your sump room is insane. Your are an organized jedi. god almighty...

I noticed on your conduit run page, you mentioned Melev has a good write up on conduit and sump rooms? could you site a link for me please? i want to relocate my apex setup and never thought of just extending the EB8 Outlets with conduit instead of extension cords.
Thanks for the kind words! Here's a link http://melevsreef.com/node/690

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Ride it out man, no sense doing anything drastic for a few months.
Thanks buddy. I'm giving it a little while to see if it get's under control. Luckily it looks very different from the algae I had on my old Marco rock so that's a step in the right direction. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettm View Post
I wanted to ask you how you are feeling about your sand choice? I know you have experienced a lot of different sand types and I am in the process of choosing between CaribSea Special Grade, Fiji Pink, and the ocean direct original grade that you just used. Having used all of these sands what would you recommend? Are you getting any flakes blowing around now? Thanks!
I'm REALLY liking this new sand. I can't say what the long term will be like but so far so good. I struggled with keeping the other sands I was using looking clean. Any coralline that sloughed off the overflow, clumping, or just bits of rock that would break off the aquascape ended up making the old sand look terrible. Because of the uniform grain size of the other sands I used, it was very difficult to keep it looking really pristine. The Ocean Direct looks like it's literally dredged from the ocean floor. Don't be shocked to find LARGE snail shells - I just picked out what I didn't want in the tank. I was worried by the reviews it wouldn't be completely white, but it's white. Maybe a shade darker than Reeflakes but it's definitely white under halides. I haven't had any issues with it blowing around at all. The Reeflakes blew around more in my tank than this stuff. Hope this helps.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2015, 05:12 PM   #5005
csantanavaz
Registered Member

this is just incredible. cannot wait till i have the finance to plan & complete something like this.

your sump room is incredible. even my girlfriend couldn't complain about the amount of equipment with how phenomenally organised and well planned that is!!

Following along definitely!!

Quote:
UPDATE:

After a long journey the fuge is finally online. I also moved forward with the lighting. I used a standard 10" Brooder Light, some 1/16" wire rope and fittings, and a little diy. I appreciate all the help guys, I think it turned out really well. Here's the pics.

Here's the 1/16" wire rope and ferrule fittings which secure the loop that attaches to the Brooder Light.

The track from the light rack ended up almost dead center on the fuge tank which was a perfect mounting point for the Brooder Light. I cut a small piece of PVC board to fit inside the track, which also slides easily for adjustment. Then I used an eye bolt and a couple washers and nuts to secure it to the PVC board. From there it was just making another loop in the wire rope and securing it with the ferrule.

**NOTE: The duct tape is temporary. Just using it to get an idea how high the lamp should be off the water before I crimp the ferrule.

The whole enchilada.

I also added 2x 4" mesh socks on the drains. The splashing wasn't terrible with original elbows I was using, but now it's nonexistent. I also poked a hole or two in the them to help the little critters through but keep the bubbles in.

Current Tank Info: Reefspace 900 build started! Tank Filled & waiting for the cycle to finish!

Last edited by Misled; 04/10/2018 at 05:46 PM.
csantanavaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2015, 10:29 AM   #5006
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csantanavaz View Post
this is just incredible. cannot wait till i have the finance to plan & complete something like this.

your sump room is incredible. even my girlfriend couldn't complain about the amount of equipment with how phenomenally organised and well planned that is!!

Following along definitely!!
Thank you csantanavaz. Much appreciated.

Unread 06/23/2015, 12:54 PM   #5007
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you csantanavaz. Much appreciated.
So you're here, so how it's it going? lol

Unread 06/13/2016, 03:31 PM   #5008
Grayhead
Registered Member

You still around?

Grayhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 01:07 AM   #5009
SwirlyWirley
Registered Member

What an amazing build, all around one of the best ive seen! I thought my fish room was coming together nicely, had to run into your thread

A++ buddy

-Blake
SwirlyWirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2016, 09:16 AM   #5010
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayhead View Post
You still around?
Yes, still here. Tank is still up and running but have been too busy to post any updates. Thanks for checking in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwirlyWirley View Post
What an amazing build, all around one of the best ive seen! I thought my fish room was coming together nicely, had to run into your thread

A++ buddy
Thanks so much Swirly, much appreciated.

Unread 07/19/2016, 08:55 AM   #5011
Apotack
Registered Member

Post some updated pics. Please.

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 05:48 PM   #5012
SwirlyWirley
Registered Member

If you dont mind me asking how did you wire the Receptacle extensions to EB8's and what wire was used!

Thanks in advance

-Blake
SwirlyWirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2016, 03:39 PM   #5013
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

update pls.

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 12:35 PM   #5014
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotack View Post
Post some updated pics. Please.
I have some things in the works and will update soon... (famous last words)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwirlyWirley View Post
If you dont mind me asking how did you wire the Receptacle extensions to EB8's and what wire was used!

Thanks in advance
Look on page 100 of my thread and you'll find an index of all the projects on the tank. There's an overview of all the electrical systems for you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Diesing View Post
update pls.
How could an entire year pass by... OK, maybe not a whole year but still... My fault! I'll get some updated pics up soon.

Unread 08/17/2017, 07:23 AM   #5015
crimsonblue
Registered Member

Brett -- this is one of my favorite threads; job well done all around! Any plans to restore the images through a different service? Or just upload all of them in a massive timeline post?

crimsonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 09:26 AM   #5016
iced98lx
Registered Member

Brett, hope to see you posting more soon man. We learn more from the trials (though it's painful to post them) then the jaw-dropper RTOM photos anyway.

That said, I won't be surprised when you pop in with RTOM worthy photos

Unread 12/20/2017, 05:32 AM   #5017
leslie hempel
Registered Member

bump

leslie hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 07:46 PM   #5018
Fishdisease
Registered Member

This was the thread that inspired my current build. I was happy to see it on the front page again but sad to see that Photobucket has ruined another epic thread.

Current Tank Info: I've got an empty 180 in my basement...and the build has begun! Check out my thread.
Fishdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 10:29 PM   #5019
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
To protect and organize the wires, I purchased some PVC wire sleeving from McMaster-Carr. Each set of wires consists of a hot, neutral, and ground which feed through the sleeving.

Here you can see how the wires feed through the sleeve. I cut it to the appropriate length and feed the wires through.

After wiring a plug to the sleeved wires this is what the first plug looked like.

After wiring all the plugs you can see how the sleeved wires feed through the holes in the top of the box in groups of 3. The wire to the right of the box will power the return pump but I'm waiting on a second EB8 to arrive to finish the project.

A bigger perspective.

A different view of the EB8 and plug configuration. I also labeled each outlet 1-8 so in case of maintenance there would be no confusion as to the configuration of plugs.

More to come.....
i know this is from way, way back, but do you remember the diameter of the pvc wire sleeving you used?

Your build is extremely inspirational, and full of great ideas. Thanks for taking the time and making the huge continually update it.

thanks

Last edited by Misled; 04/10/2018 at 05:47 PM.
neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 11:54 PM   #5020
neilp2006
Registered Member

nevermind, just saw post 4415!!

awwww maaaannn - been reading for 4 hours and just got to your super cleaned up electrical panel on post 4532 and photobucket are blocking the pics!! any pics of the wall grommets for the wiring and how you routed the wires from the second eb8?

cheers

Last edited by neilp2006; 01/05/2018 at 12:02 AM.
Unread 01/05/2018, 07:38 AM   #5021
Speed
Unregister Member

Use google. there are browser add ons out there that will allow you to see photobucket pictures.

Current Tank Info: Slowest 125g build in history
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 10:01 AM   #5022
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Use google. there are browser add ons out there that will allow you to see photobucket pictures.

Cheers, thanks. Already installed on Firefox, but still not showing. They do for photobucket pics displayed on other forums, but not this one for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/07/2018, 12:30 PM   #5023
FernandesReef
Registered Member

Would like to see where this tank is at this stage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FernandesReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 08:29 AM   #5024
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Another bump - this was bookmarked as one of my favorite builds but the Photobucket debacle is keeping us from seeing your inspiring build.

Any plans to do a one-time bull photo upload (as attachments) to restore the visuals even if they aren’t connected to the individual posts?

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 01:21 PM   #5025
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
I have some things in the works and will update soon... (famous last words)

Look on page 100 of my thread and you'll find an index of all the projects on the tank. There's an overview of all the electrical systems for you there.

How could an entire year pass by... OK, maybe not a whole year but still... My fault! I'll get some updated pics up soon.
He's alive!!! Woohoo!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote