Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/28/2010, 01:42 PM   #1
edwin-orellana
Registered Member

Lightbulb Filter Sock or No Filter Sock?

I'm tired of washing and replacing filter socks. Can I get rid of filter socks altogether without adversely affecting parameters? Hoping to get ideas....
I've got the itch to go bigger and better and need ideas

edwin-orellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 01:59 PM   #2
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Filter socks are a part of an overall filtration process. If your socks are dirty and need changing often, then you probably need them or need to stop over feeding. If not, you can probably remove them. Many don't run filter socks, but you have to find an alternate method of removing what they were catching.

Jeff

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 01:59 PM   #3
fatdaddy
Registered Member

There are different schools of thought on the filter sock. Certainly, if you're fighting problem algae then good to have, but there is certainly no requirement to have a filter sock. I'd keep it as a backup in case some additional large filtering is required.

Also, I think a filter sock helps reduce noise and spash in the sump. Just something to consider.

Unread 10/28/2010, 02:06 PM   #4
edwin-orellana
Registered Member

Thanx

What if I place rubble instead?

Unread 10/28/2010, 04:54 PM   #5
saltyseaman01
Moved On

imo id use a sock the tank will be cleaner and less build up of crap in the sump

saltyseaman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 05:08 PM   #6
potterjon
Registered Member

I would keep the sock. They are a pain but they do so much good. I am a big fan of mechanical filtration.

potterjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 05:09 PM   #7
jc-reef
Registered Member

^^^ agreed. I use a filter pad over a drip tray (same concept) and the sump and tank is always clear/free from debris. They definately assist in the filtration process and aid your skimmer by filtering out the larger particles before entering.

Current Tank Info: 300gal DD upgraded from 90 gal Mixed Reef Powered by T5 / LED
jc-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Here's an earlier discussion: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hlight=to+sock

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 06:20 PM   #9
edwin-orellana
Registered Member

Thanx...Sk8tr for the link to previous discussion....
looks like I will be keeping socks......darn!

Unread 10/28/2010, 07:30 PM   #10
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

socks are great to remove larger particulate matter but you should change them every three days IMO .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2010, 07:36 PM   #11
cloak
Moved On

I think there's a time and a place for filter socks. When you've stirred up everything in both the sump and the DT with a PH, then it's time to polish the water with a filter sock. Otherwise, I think it's best to just let everything float freely throughout the system and let nature take it's course. Given time, your sump will develop a life of it's own. That extra food that goes over the falls should be made short work of if it happens to settle on the bottom of your sump. Who knows, it might go all the way around and the fish will end up consuming it. Either way, it beats leftovers just rotting away in a sock for 24 hours on end.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 01:15 AM   #12
Seanymac045
Registered Member

What do you think about placing media bags filled with carbon and gfo inside the filter sock? I have my drainage pipes go into a 7" filter sock with the media bags inside. I thought it would be more of an active filtration approach instead of letting water flow over them at the bottom of the sum.

Seanymac045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 08:29 AM   #13
HumbleFish
Moved On

My biggest problem with filter socks has always been having to shut down the sump during feeding time. IMO, every time you switch off your return pump you are just one day closer to it not switching back on. I just feel switching it off/on everyday shortens it's life expectancy. Leave it running, and your socks get clogged quickly with uneaten fish food. No filter sock means that at least some of the food has the possibility of recirculating and getting eaten. No filter sock also means having to clean your sump more often - so it's a mixed bag.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 08:43 AM   #14
foundnemo11
Registered Member

I use filtersocks so my sump doesn't become a dump. I also use them to hold chemi pure bags so the water runs threw the bags. I couldn't imagine not using them

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef, mostly sps, bubble magnus skimmer nac5, Reefbreeders Photon48, hippo tang, kole tang, 2 clownfish, 3 chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp, crabs/snails
foundnemo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 10:19 AM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

My own personal experience suggest that filter socks, or any mechanical filtration for that matter, can be beneficial as long as you are changing/rinsing regularly. If you are not, then having some kind of 'settling' chamber in your sump that can be suctioned out periodically is better. I am not particularly good at regular cleaning (too much business travel) and my tanks with mechanical filtration have always run higher nitrate levels than those without.

ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Spork3245
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
My biggest problem with filter socks has always been having to shut down the sump during feeding time. IMO, every time you switch off your return pump you are just one day closer to it not switching back on. I just feel switching it off/on everyday shortens it's life expectancy. Leave it running, and your socks get clogged quickly with uneaten fish food. No filter sock means that at least some of the food has the possibility of recirculating and getting eaten. No filter sock also means having to clean your sump more often - so it's a mixed bag.
Why would you shut down the sump during feeding time if you use a filter sock?

Spork3245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 10:56 AM   #17
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Leave it running, and your socks get clogged quickly with uneaten fish food.
Interesting! I do not turn off my main pump during feeding time, and still get very little food going into the overflow/sump. Perhaps you are either feeding too much at one time or just have too much flow through your overflow. In my tank, any food that does get into the sump is much more likely to either get sucked up by the skimmer, consumed in the fuge or end up at the bottom of my settling chamber.

ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 11:02 AM   #18
Sparkpaul
Registered Member

This is a good question.

I went from filter pads to socks and only to find out that pads are more convenient for me.

I am also thinking about removing my socks since I have a oversized skimmer,bubble king deluxe 300 for a 200 gallon tank.

Does a bigger skimmer remove more detritus? I still see debris in my sump and once every two months I vacuum out everything.

Sparkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

I also shut down my return when feeding. In my experience it just gives the food a chance to be eaten vs just landing in the filter sock. I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn back on though as the reef angel does it with a push of a button on my phone =).

As for the other questions about putting the media in the bags IME it works but in the long run you are clogging the media way faster and instead of filtering the water it's getting saturated with solids and in turn costing you more and working less. Think about how fast the pores will be clogged rendering it useless by the way your filter socks look after a few days. That's what the pores of that media you paid all that money look like also..

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 08:07 PM   #20
Seanymac045
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I am also the type to not turn off my pump during feeding, luckily theres no need, I feed through a turkey bastor and all my fish wait greedily at the tip haha. No food has a chance to get to the sump usually. Feeding corals though..... I pull my filter sock with the bags inside over night.

Seanymac045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 08:13 PM   #21
ninja66999
Registered Member

i like my sock yo catch pods, fun to watch the fish eatem

ninja66999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 09:25 AM   #22
invertinoob
Registered Member

i was having nitrate issues while running them...my bioload is kinda high as well. i took them off and didnt change feeding habits or anything else and nitrates went away within the week.

Current Tank Info: Standard 90 gallon with a 55 gallon sump, Skimz Dc skimmer, 2xJebao wp25 pumps, Lumentek pro 180 over half and a 2bulb t5HO on the other half.
invertinoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 12:51 PM   #23
Mcgeezer
Reef gardener

The amount of junk my filter sock cleans out of my tank is well worth it. Plus it acts as a small addtional bio filter as well

I personally think the benefit outweighs the alternative

Mcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 01:06 PM   #24
MikeReef79
Registered Member

Just buy more, For Christmas I asked for 4 from my parents and my wife's parents, now I have 12... I replace once every 3 days and do a wash once every 2 weeks now....

Unread 01/29/2014, 01:15 PM   #25
GHill762
Registered Member

I ran sockless on my last tank and had a lot of detritus buildup, it was a dump, I run socks now and have a sterile fuge/sump.. I think the key is to have it somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. I think I'm going to start running sockless, then blow detritus out once a week or so into a sock, then take the sock back out..

GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter socks