Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2017, 07:40 PM   #1
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Lighting option for 135g tank

Hi, Absolute Newbie here..
I am setting up a 135g tank 6 feet long, 22 inches deep and 18 inches wide.
Want to grow lots of hard and soft corals along with fish. What lighting setup should I use. I would prefer LED lights and want something that sits flush on the top of the aquarium.
Thanks,
BG7

Bioguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 08:55 AM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Probably nothing will sit flush - there is too much humidity and splashes. You can get legs and keep them pretty close, like at 5-6."

For LED, it is up to you. You looking for easy to control? Easy to use? Lots of features like thunderstorms and lighting or no frills, just light? Lots of color control, or mostly just plug and play? Do you need to be able to control the lights from your phone when on the commode or couch, or do dials on the side of the panel work?

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 01:22 PM   #3
LQT
Registered Member

If you're handy, perhaps you could build a canopy to sit flush over your tank rim to house your lights. Otherwise, as jda said, having fixtures sit flush is not a good idea.

What's your budget for lighting?

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay. I am looking for something simple, no bells and whistles. The aquarium is along the wall. So I can fix it to the wall instead of putting it on the aquairum itself. I have no idea about the range of prices. I know these LED lights can be expensive.

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Bump! Looking for the simplest set up of lights. Any recommendations.

Unread 11/10/2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Two ViparSpectra 32" fixtures. Inexpensive, well made, good light, 2 channel control. Not the best looking, but a typical black box fixture.

Unread 11/10/2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Two ViparSpectra 32" fixtures. Inexpensive, well made, good light, 2 channel control. Not the best looking, but a typical black box fixture.
Thank you RR. I see in Amazon that there is one VS 165W for aquarium and several other wattage labeled for indoor plants. So 165W is the correct one?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Unread 11/10/2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Bpb
Registered Member

No the 165 watt one is tiny. You can use that one but you’d need 4-5 of them rather than two 32” versions. I️ don’t know the exact wattage of the bigger one. But like others have said. The only led fixtures out there designed to sit perfectly flush on the tank will not be powerful enough for hard corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
No the 165 watt one is tiny. You can use that one but you’d need 4-5 of them rather than two 32” versions. I️ don’t know the exact wattage of the bigger one. But like others have said. The only led fixtures out there designed to sit perfectly flush on the tank will not be powerful enough for hard corals

Umm. I cant seem to find 32" size. Can you please post a link.

Unread 11/10/2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Bpb
Registered Member

You should be able to find it on e bay. I️ believe auction site link posting is against the rules

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 02:13 PM   #11
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Gosh, I still can't find it. However, any comments about these -
Evergrow AquaOcean IT5012 Controllable Full Spectrum LED - 48", 240W

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioguy7 View Post
Gosh, I still can't find it. However, any comments about these -
Evergrow AquaOcean IT5012 Controllable Full Spectrum LED - 48", 240W
Your looking at the one ReefSupplies carries, they are Identical to the the ReefBreeder Photon 50-V2 that Ron likes. They get very good reviews, you should be more than happy with one of those over your tank IMO

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 04:14 PM   #13
Bioguy7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Your looking at the one ReefSupplies carries, they are Identical to the the ReefBreeder Photon 50-V2 that Ron likes. They get very good reviews, you should be more than happy with one of those over your tank IMO
Thanks. Will order one tonight.

Unread 11/11/2017, 04:55 AM   #14
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The EverGrow and Reef Breeders fixtures are very similar and they are both made by EverGrow in China. IMHO they are the best value fixture if you want all the color control (6 channels) and sunrise/sunset. If that kind of control isn't something you want, there are less expensive fixtures. BTW, your fish and coral really don't give a rat's a$$ about all that control. That's really there to give us something to play with!

Yes, I like Reef Breeders and EverGrow fixtures. I had the fist generation fixture for 5+ years and now I've had the 2nd generation for a year. I enjoy the control and you couldn't convince me to spend more on much higher end fixtures (read: expensive) that offer very little extra.