Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2010, 05:24 PM   #1
lewis2325
Registered Member

Keep octo in 55g sps tank?

I am in the process of setting up my 55g sps tank (my second tank) and was wondering if it would be possible to keep an octopus instead of fish in here without it destroying corals/rockwork. I really haven't done alot of research on the care of them yet, but I would like to know if this is at all possible before I spend months researching these guys. Thanks for any feedback

lewis2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Octoman
Registered Member

Here are some of the challenges...

You have to seal every part of the lid. You can't leave any holes as they are escape artists. This means you will have to cover the tank (and lock the cover down) which could present lighting/cooling issues. You will have to use a solid cover (glass, plastic) because they can and will squirt at things above the water like lights.

They are predators that need to eat meaty foods. You will have to be more diligent in nutrient control, not only for the corals, but because octopuses are sensitive to nitrates as well. It interferes with oxygen transport in their blood.

They are extremely inquisitive animals and will move things around as they see fit. If everything isn't tightly glued down, they will most likely put it where they want.

You mentioned no fish which is good, they also don't play well with any shrimp or crabs. They like to eat them...

They also need a lot of care and attention to thrive. Regular and varying forms of enrichment are required to keep them in a good mental state.

Octoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 09:25 PM   #3
lewis2325
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, but I have already decided against this. Eventually I'm gonna set up a dedicated system for one, but for now I'm just gonna focus on the reef aspect of this one.

lewis2325 is offline   Reply With Quote