Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2015, 10:45 PM   #126
cthetoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk2 View Post
cthetoy, pardon my stupidity, but is swapping out fans on the marsaqua tough? Any special skills or tricks? I'm surprised at how loud they are although mine are usually only at like 30%. Thanks!
Very easy to replace. Open LED fixture. Unscrew 4 screws holding the fan. Cut the two wires (Black and red) on the old fan. On your new case fans there are usually 3 wires. Just cut all three and use just use the black and red wires. Solder, tape, or wire crimp the wire together and place the new fan where the old fan used to be. Screw the fans in and that's it. Enjoy the quietness.

Fans are 80mm
I used these. Low RPM and low dBA
Speed: 1500 RPM
Air Flow: 24 CFM
Noise Level: 14 dBA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cthetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 10:38 AM   #127
Shark.Bait
Registered Member

Any idea what combination of lights would work well on a 265g tank? It's 7ft long and 30" deep.

Shark.Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 10:50 AM   #128
Junk2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthetoy View Post
Very easy to replace. Open LED fixture. Unscrew 4 screws holding the fan. Cut the two wires (Black and red) on the old fan. On your new case fans there are usually 3 wires. Just cut all three and use just use the black and red wires. Solder, tape, or wire crimp the wire together and place the new fan where the old fan used to be. Screw the fans in and that's it. Enjoy the quietness.

Fans are 80mm
I used these. Low RPM and low dBA
Speed: 1500 RPM
Air Flow: 24 CFM
Noise Level: 14 dBA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's awesome. Thanks for the details. I'm skittish when it comes to that stuff but am going to give that a shot. Thank you.

Junk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 12:37 PM   #129
nidding
Registered Member

Quote:
That's awesome. Thanks for the details. I'm skittish when it comes to that stuff but am going to give that a shot. Thank you.
I made the same mod, as the fans were too loud for me. With the new fans it's very quiet
I have had the light a little more than a month now, and am very pleased with it so far. I have it over a 29 gallon drop tank - 28" long - and have it hanging 7"over water level in a canopy. Took off the lenses and far prefer the light without them though I still have a little shadowing in the sides.
So far colors are good under this light. I have growth on an acropora and the color that had faded away before I added this unit seems to be slowly coming back.

For anyone not owning a money tree I would recommend this light

And a picture to get an idea of colors and spread (disregard the cyano, please)
DSC_2689 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

nidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 01:46 PM   #130
dickwhitehead
Registered Member

What seems to give better results at 24" depth, 90 or 120 lenses? I'm sure the 120s spread the light better, but do they provide enough PAR for clams at 24" ?

dickwhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2015, 10:27 AM   #131
jkbrazil
Registered Member

I have 70 gallon tank that is 36" wide and 30 " deep.

Can any one suggest if 2 of the 165 W lights would be sufficient. I am concerned about the depth of my tank and having strong enough light to penetrate.

jkbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2015, 01:28 PM   #132
Swope2bc
Registered Member

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Swope2bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2015, 08:57 AM   #133
jkbrazil
Registered Member

MY tank dimensions - Light penetration at this depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrazil View Post
Can any one suggest if 2 of the 165 W lights would be sufficient. I am concerned about the depth of my tank and having strong enough light to penetrate.
Sorry, the full dimensions of my tank are 30"in High x 36" Long x 15" wide. It's a little over 70 gal.

jkbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2015, 09:00 AM   #134
Swope2bc
Registered Member

Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

The 165 W units are said to cover a 24 x 24in. Square there is a 300 W unit that would cover a 36" x 24 in. Square I think that that would be a better choice for you. I do not know what to say about the depth people are saying that these lights penetrate to 24 inches fairly well. My comments are based only upon what I have read, I do not yet own one of these units so perhaps someone who is running it will chime in.

Unread 05/26/2015, 12:50 PM   #135
chaudhry
Registered Member

Hi,
I was planning to buy Aqua Mars Chinese 165 Watt Dimmable, but then I realized that this light is not programmable. I will be travelling out of the state for 3 weeks. Asking someone else to take care of my tank in the mean time is not an option. I will put an auto feeder for my fish. I have 4 fish and then softies and LPS (Leather Coral, Zoas, Montipora capricornis, Hammer head, Hryptonite Candy, Fungia Plates, Bubble Coral, Trachys, Xenias, Richorieas and Frogspawn) . My current light is programmable Current marine USA LED but this is not by any means enough for my reef life.
I know that lights should be left on for a certain hours of the day. Can I leave my lights on 24/7 for those 3 weeks. If yes then what should be the percentage for actinic blue/white light. If NO, then should I consider buying some other programmable LED light. Or there is any other suggestion. Help appreciated.

chaudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 12:51 PM   #136
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhry View Post
Hi,
I was planning to buy Aqua Mars Chinese 165 Watt Dimmable, but then I realized that this light is not programmable. I will be travelling out of the state for 3 weeks. Asking someone else to take care of my tank in the mean time is not an option. I will put an auto feeder for my fish. I have 4 fish and then softies and LPS (Leather Coral, Zoas, Montipora capricornis, Hammer head, Hryptonite Candy, Fungia Plates, Bubble Coral, Trachys, Xenias, Richorieas and Frogspawn) . My current light is programmable Current marine USA LED but this is not by any means enough for my reef life.
I know that lights should be left on for a certain hours of the day. Can I leave my lights on 24/7 for those 3 weeks. If yes then what should be the percentage for actinic blue/white light. If NO, then should I consider buying some other programmable LED light. Or there is any other suggestion. Help appreciated.
Use a basic timer found at Walmart.

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 800 Gallon Inwall
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 01:18 PM   #137
Bpb
Registered Member

heavens no! Dont leave the lights on 24/7. You'll be lucky to have a single coral left alive within 3 days. Go to walmart, Lowes, or Home depot, tell them you need a basic, cheap lamp timer. Plug into that. That's how I run my refugium lights and all my fw tank lights. That's how people have been running their lights for decades before controllable leds became available. Nobody was ever leaving their lights on for days at a time

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 02:52 PM   #138
Junk2
Registered Member

Get 2 timers. One for blue and one for full spectrum.

Junk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 04:34 PM   #139
Swope2bc
Registered Member

Quote:
Get 2 timers. One for blue and one for full spectrum.

Agreed! And definitely do not consider leaving them on. 3 weeks is a long time on an auto feeder too. Might want to sort out at least someone to check up on things.

Unread 05/27/2015, 09:37 AM   #140
chaudhry
Registered Member

Got it. Will get myself some timers(why didn't I think of that!). Finally, one of my friends agreed to pay every other day visit to my tank. Thanks guys for all your help.

chaudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2015, 12:25 PM   #141
Todd5050
Registered Member

Can someone give some advice on how many I would need for my 150 Gal. fowlr tank? Dimensions are 72" x 18" x 26". I was wondering if 2 of the 165W units or one 300W unit would light it enough? I have no coral but I like a nicely lit tank. I have a PC fixture now that is on its last leg.

Todd5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2015, 01:46 PM   #142
Swope2bc
Registered Member

With these units you will cover apx. 2x2' with the 165W, 2'x4' with the 300W. Having no coral you could get two 165W and spread them a bit. You may end with shadowing but raising the lights a bit will help the spread.

Unread 05/31/2015, 06:07 PM   #143
dtaranath
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5050 View Post
Can someone give some advice on how many I would need for my 150 Gal. fowlr tank? Dimensions are 72" x 18" x 26". I was wondering if 2 of the 165W units or one 300W unit would light it enough? I have no coral but I like a nicely lit tank. I have a PC fixture now that is on its last leg.
I am also in a similar situation; I have the same length tank, but 24" wide. I'm thinking actually two 300W to get the entire length of the tank so there are no dead spots. Then again, I also keep corals, so that may be the difference.

I'm wondering how effective these lights are at the lower depths though...

Unread 05/31/2015, 07:02 PM   #144
Swope2bc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaranath View Post
I am also in a similar situation; I have the same length tank, but 24" wide. I'm thinking actually two 300W to get the entire length of the tank so there are no dead spots. Then again, I also keep corals, so that may be the difference.

I'm wondering how effective these lights are at the lower depths though...

What is your depth? I've been told they have great par down to and bellow 24"

Unread 05/31/2015, 09:31 PM   #145
Goby_Clarence
Registered Member

Greetings all, I can't speak to lights other than my new Ocean Revive, 2 channel royal blue and whites/red/green/UV 55x 3 watt Chinese light with timers, but to it, I can. For $150 its unbelievable. I have a standard 75 gallon with light 11" off the water it more than covers the half of the tank it is supposed to. Before I had a wee bit of hair algae growth (lunare wrasses are not good for maintaining a healthy clean-up crew by the way...) I had the blue channel at 15% and the white/colors channel at 5%. I cant say for sure on total depth penetration for clams yet given I dont have one, yet, maybe when dtanarath comes over and we stop in to see Carmine at Coral Reef and Frags, but I can say, if turn them up to get the par at the bottom, you might bleach something at the top. THEY ARE REALLY BRIGHT!

The picture is with only blues at 5% for dawn/dusk and moonlight when i feel like looking st the crazy color corals under actinics ;-)

Hope this helps

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1433129184427.jpg (51.1 KB, 348 views)

Current Tank Info: 75 display mixed reef, 4.5 gallon fuge with banded goby and pistol pair, 29 gallon sump with DSB, 20 gal additional fuge with firefish gobies, Reef Octopus 150 INT, pendant LEDs and 165 watt LED fixtures, 29 gal mixed reef, 5 gal fluval all-in-one
Goby_Clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 09:44 PM   #146
dtaranath
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swope2bc View Post
What is your depth? I've been told they have great par down to and bellow 24"
Thanks. The tank volume itself is probably about 25-26" in depth from the water line to the top of the substrate.

Unread 05/31/2015, 09:45 PM   #147
Swope2bc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaranath View Post
Thanks. The tank volume itself is probably about 25-26" in depth from the water line to the top of the substrate.

You should do quite well with these units then.

Unread 05/31/2015, 09:46 PM   #148
dtaranath
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goby_Clarence View Post
maybe when dtanarath comes over and we stop in to see Carmine at Coral Reef and Frags, but I can say, if turn them up to get the par at the bottom, you might bleach something at the top. THEY ARE REALLY BRIGHT!
haha! hopefully soon!

Unread 06/01/2015, 11:32 AM   #149
Jorgiee
Registered Member

Would one marsaqua be enough for 30x18x18 tank ?

Jorgiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 11:33 AM   #150
Swope2bc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgiee View Post
Would one marsaqua be enough for 30x18x18 tank ?

You may have a little shadowing (2/3" on each end) but most likely yes.