Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2018, 06:28 PM   #1
fullmonti
now is the time

Finally got a Ritteri/Magnifica

Asked my LFS to find me a small Ritteri, it took a while but they finally did. It was not happy with way to little light and flow but they had it long enough to know it did not have a bacterial infection, so I got it. It took 2-3 months for it to settle in and stop deflating and another couple months to regain its color (not the most colorful one I've ever seen)

This is what it looked like a year ago. Still completely white and tiny. Sorry about the bad phone photo.

https://youtu.be/aPN9CPmr_yA
This is it today!

Can't tell you how much I enjoy watching the clowns roll around in it like a dog rolling on something stinky!

I'll post a another photo shortly, having computer issue right now

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 06:35 PM   #2
fullmonti
now is the time

OK computer issue delt with.

This is today, one year later!

Unread 08/30/2018, 06:46 PM   #3
gaby_scan
Registered Member

pretty impressive how it changed in a year, looks pretty cool and the clown seems very happy.

gaby_scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 07:09 PM   #4
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Very nice! How do you judge if it needs/does not need cipro treatment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 07:15 PM   #5
fullmonti
now is the time

I am no expert but the LFS had it in less than ideal conditions and it was still alive after about a month. I'm pretty sure if it had gotten an infection during shipping it would have already died before then. Was just my thinking anyway and it worked out even if it did take a while to come back to health.

Unread 08/30/2018, 07:19 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Typically we look for deflation of tentacles, and typically it can look fine for hours/day, then look horrid, and this can go back and forth, so a qt and observation is advised, at least a week IMO.

OP's mag looks great, hope that continues, keep posting pics!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 08:34 PM   #7
fullmonti
now is the time

I had a QT tank setup ready to go. I never could find a way to buy cipro. My vet (for horses) and my doc neither would give me the rx for it. The LFS store was even afraid to give me some he had because that is against the law. All is well now but we will be building a new house in a couple years and will have to find a home for this one but will have a 6' tank in the new house and will want another mag. for that tank. So how do you all get your cipro?

Unread 08/30/2018, 08:40 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Online, petmountain is where I got mine last, they did not ask for script, but even online many will

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 08/30/2018, 10:01 PM   #9
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Very nice.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 10:06 PM   #10
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
I had a QT tank setup ready to go. I never could find a way to buy cipro...... So how do you all get your cipro?
Google Fish Flox. There are multiple sources.

Unread 08/31/2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Kinetic
Registered Member

That's beautiful, and one of the smallest mags I've ever seen!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2018, 06:41 PM   #12
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 10:41 PM   #13
fullmonti
now is the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
Google Fish Flox. There are multiple sources.

I didn't know it was packaged as Fish Flox. I will make a note of it for the future, thanks.

Unread 10/21/2018, 12:07 PM   #14
fullmonti
now is the time

FTS 18" cube tank

The nem had not moved more than an inch or so in the last several months but right after I posted here he started moving around. He doesn't really have far to go till he runs out of rock so not much of a problem. I have not fed the nem in the last 2-3 months and it is a little alarming how fast he is still growing. Thought I'd share a FTS.

Going to have to find my lobed brain coral a new home, it has just about out grown his spot. Had to move the Moon Brain because the nem was starting to block the light off it where it was. Now some times at night the nem moves down to where the Moon Brain used to be (to the right and lower) but goes back up top by noon.

Unread 10/21/2018, 12:44 PM   #15
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take a look at my thread, that's what you look for when judging whether to treat or not.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 12:45 PM   #16
top shelf
Registered Member

Very nice looking mag though!

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 01:09 PM   #17
davocean
Registered Member

Cool pics!
I wonder if yours moving lower at night is also a flow issue, seeking more or less

Unread 11/09/2018, 02:21 PM   #18
fullmonti
now is the time

I did a phone video of the clowns loving their nem. Love watching them in their nem, happy as a dog rolling on something stinky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtI55_vLhac

Unread 11/09/2018, 07:28 PM   #19
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Awesome.

Unread 11/10/2018, 05:05 AM   #20
hottuna
Registered Member

what lighting you have it under ?

Unread 11/10/2018, 09:56 AM   #21
fullmonti
now is the time

A Kessil 360, don't have a Par meter but the light is about 10" above the water at about 2/3 power. Fairly bright is the best I can say. I have a Candy Cane or Trumpet coral that was mid tank and when I moved it to the bottom it is doing much better.

Unread 11/10/2018, 10:16 AM   #22
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

How long did it take for the clowns to go to the anemone? I will say I appreciate the pairing of the correct new with the correct clown. It seems like so many are pairing up bubble tips with occys and percs which just isn't natural. I have bubble tips, but I got the correct clowns to go with them (naked cinnamon clownfish). Mine so far have no interest in the anemones. I'll probably have to coax them in.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 08:58 PM   #23
fullmonti
now is the time

These only took a few days, don't remember exactly but seems like just 2-3 days and they were home. I have wanted to do this for years. About 10-12 years ago before I knew why they didn't survive shipping very well I got a big beautiful Ritteri from LA and it didn't make it. Live and learn I guess.

Unread 03/05/2020, 06:30 PM   #24
marc price
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
-
I have not fed the nem in the last 2-3 months and it is a little alarming how fast he is still growing. Thought I'd share a FTS.
-
Do you still have it and how is it doing?

Asking because I have an H. mag for 14 months now which was just as small, actually probably smaller than yours when I got it. It stayed put from the get-go, the two A. percula clowns took to it in no time but the anemone was dwarfed even by the small 1.75" male A. percula! (I'd post pix only I've had it with Photobucket and haven't figured out another way to post pix), It eventually grew large enough to adequately host the small male percula while growing from the size of a golf ball to a softball. Eventually, the large female clownfish began stealing the anemones morsel of shrimp and what growth it achieved had begun to reverse itself. I then tried feeding sardines purchased at Whole Foods fresh fish department. The clown wouldn't touch the sardines and the anemone began to grow again with every other day feedings. It just about was sizable enough to host both the small male and large female. Then the large clownfish began to swipe the sardine from the anemone only it took me around two months or so to notice and the anemone began to shrink. I then had to physically bat the clownfish away long enough for the anemone to eat and it took pretty long to engulf the food so I switched back to Trader Joes wild-caught shrimp. The anemone has been eating when fed every other day, varying the size of the morsel affects the time it takes to fully engulf it which can be anywhere from 15minutes to two hours of me playing defensive blocker with the clownfish which gets old fast!
For several months now, I've been making sure the food is not being snatched by the clowns yet the anemone still hasn't grown past the size of a hardball and here I read of you not feeding yours for several months and it keeps growing which has me wondering what the heck is wrong with my little H. magnifica anemone?

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2020, 08:49 PM   #25
fullmonti
now is the time

I still have mine. I have not fed it anything extra or directly for a year or more. It has still grown but not what I would call fast any more. Oddly it has been keeping it's tentacles much shorted for months now and has gotten more of a solid purple color. Nem and clowns are doing very well. Sorry I really don't know what is going on with your nem or what to say you should do. hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people here will see this and have some insight to share with us all.

We are going to be selling our house and building a new house and we have started pairing down every thing because we will live in a camper while building. My nem and clown will be moving to a local reefers tank shortly. When ever we get our new house done I will be setting up a 180 tank and already have the center piece rock made for a large Ritteri to live on.

Here is a photo of my guys.