Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2017, 08:19 AM   #1
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

AI Prime HD or Kessil A160WE for Fluval M90

Looking at getting a company bonus end of May and if the Jelly of the Month is right I am thinking about updating my lighting from the stock Fluval light strip to two Kessil and Kessil controller or 2 AI Primes HD. Curious if anyone has feedback.

Coral wise I have 2 hammers, 1 torch, 3 Galaxea (I know), 1 Duncan, 1 acan, green star polyp, and assorted Zoa and palyps. I don't see me venturing into SPS. Just not my thing. I do have a weakness for LPS.

the two main factors right now is Kessil shimmer vs AI Prime HD app and control ability.

anybody have a thought about one or the other, and what they would consider when deciding?

Last edited by thelawnwrangler; 04/28/2017 at 08:39 AM.
thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Hentz
Registered Member

AI Prime HD!

Nothing against Kessil or anything, I really do love their fixtures along with the shimmer. But I absolutely love the ability to control my AI Hydra 26HD via phone/computer without a separate controller taking up more room.

I also have a profile you can plug into the Prime which is absolutely amazing. Its built for SPS, however EcoTech Marine says its also great for Softies/LPS. I have it plugged into my Dad's tank and a friends tank. Both tanks are doing really well with the profile.

Its a mock Ecotech Marine SPS AB+ profile made by Orcus here on ReefCentral.

I would easily say the controllability easily outweighs the shimmer from the Kessil. Can't tell you how many times how nice it was to just pull out my phone and turn my lights on opposed to scrolling through my controller and turning it on.

Unread 04/28/2017, 12:08 PM   #3
ajoe
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentz View Post
AI Prime HD!

Nothing against Kessil or anything, I really do love their fixtures along with the shimmer. But I absolutely love the ability to control my AI Hydra 26HD via phone/computer without a separate controller taking up more room.

I also have a profile you can plug into the Prime which is absolutely amazing. Its built for SPS, however EcoTech Marine says its also great for Softies/LPS. I have it plugged into my Dad's tank and a friends tank. Both tanks are doing really well with the profile.

I would easily say the controllability easily outweighs the shimmer from the Kessil. Can't tell you how many times how nice it was to just pull out my phone and turn my lights on opposed to scrolling through my controller and turning it on.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 12:16 PM   #4
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
AI Prime HD!

hmmm yeah solid point- I save $100 not buying the kessil which require controller. Also doing it from the phone is a solid point. Right now with my fluval- whites come off and go on same time everyday. Will really be nice to have a profile that takes me sunrise to sunset. I miss out the blues at night, because Fluval is manual.

I would think no brainer this both will more than support my inhabitants?

Unread 04/28/2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnwrangler View Post
hmmm yeah solid point- I save $100 not buying the kessil which require controller. Also doing it from the phone is a solid point. Right now with my fluval- whites come off and go on same time everyday. Will really be nice to have a profile that takes me sunrise to sunset. I miss out the blues at night, because Fluval is manual.

I would think no brainer this both will more than support my inhabitants?
This will definitely allow you to have a sunrise/sunset. I can send you MY slightly adjust profile from the one I just told you about. It has some blues on until about midnight. I like to check on my tank when I get home from work late at night when I work swings.

Both these lights (Kessil 160 & AI Prime HD) will be plenty for anything you put in that tank from Softies to SPS.

If budget is a concern, scroll through the used section. I often see AI Primes / Kessil 160's for sale. IF budget is not a concern, used is still great if its in nice condition and leaves extra $$ for corals

Unread 04/28/2017, 01:28 PM   #6
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
This will definitely allow you to have a sunrise/sunset. I can send you MY slightly adjust profile from the one I just told you about. It has some blues on until about midnight. I like to check on my tank when I get home from work late at night when I work swings.
that would be awesome

was looking at marine depot video and it seems that AI has some of the shimmer (not Kessil level, but the youtube video was appealing)

Unread 04/28/2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Mr. Comer
Registered Member

I've had both and kept the AI prime. Tons of flexibility in lighting control without having to buy a separate controller.

Unread 04/28/2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Reeferman1019
Registered Member

forget the LEDs and go with T5

Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnwrangler View Post
that would be awesome

was looking at marine depot video and it seems that AI has some of the shimmer (not Kessil level, but the youtube video was appealing)
My tank gets plenty of shimmer. While the Kessil is nice, the shimmer can be a bit too much if your surface turbulence is crazy.

Hydra provides just enough shimmer IMO.

Unread 04/28/2017, 03:36 PM   #10
ajoe
Registered Member

You might also consider buying a couple of used Primes and saving even more money. Check the used equipment for sale section in this forum and/or do a search under the tag used equipment for sale here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 06:33 PM   #11
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:

Both these lights (Kessil 160 & AI Prime HD) will be plenty for anything you put in that tank from Softies to SPS.

If budget is a concern, scroll through the used section. I often see AI Primes / Kessil 160's for sale. IF budget is not a concern, used is still great if its in nice condition and leaves extra $$ for corals
Would love to see your schedule- AI primes installed

Have to say I am plenty happy with shimmer. I couldn't be happier so far. Now it is time to make coral happy and not melt them after Fluval led

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/16/2017, 04:39 AM   #12
A sea K
Registered Member

Couple things to point out, AI controllability vs Kessil shimmer. While having control at your fingertips (phone) is nice, once you have a good program schedule you wont really need to mess with your program much if at all. On the other hand, if you really want the shimmer the Kessils will deliver that every single time you view the tank which I would assume will be quite frequently.

Moonlight/dimming capability, Kessil clearly loses here and is the only thing I dont like about the Kessil. They simply dont dimm very low even for dawn to dusk IMO and certainly not enough to use as a moonlight function.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote