Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2012, 08:29 AM   #1451
d2mini
Registered Member

hmmm... so raise the sump level to 10" you think? I'll try that and report back...

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 08:34 AM   #1452
clowndude
Registered Member

Yup also how many turn out is your venture? I was running mine about 3.5 turn out.

clowndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2012, 02:31 PM   #1453
d2mini
Registered Member

I've tried 2-4 turns out. I've tried raising the water level. Hasn't skimmed anything in a couple days now with this tube connected.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 12/26/2012, 11:16 AM   #1454
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I've tried 2-4 turns out. I've tried raising the water level. Hasn't skimmed anything in a couple days now with this tube connected.
Post a few photos of the skimmer installed in your system and I'll get it set up for you.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2012, 03:25 PM   #1455
d2mini
Registered Member

Cool, here's a few pics. The last one shows the height of the foam in the neck of the cup. That's the highest I can get it, with the wedge pipe closed down as far as possible before water starts pouring through the tube and into the pump. The cup shows about 1/4" of skimmate over the course of a few days. I think the venturi on the pump is turned back out about 3 turns right now.

Unread 12/27/2012, 04:08 PM   #1456
d2mini
Registered Member

If you need additional pics, let me know.

Unread 12/28/2012, 08:49 AM   #1457
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

That actually looks really good in my opinion! Dark, thick, and just semi-dry, which is how I would prefer to skim. Having said that, if you're wanting to raise the internal water level just a little make about a 1/16th to 1/32nd turn on the wedge pipe towards the closed position from where you have it right now. In other words, about the smallest turn you can possibly make.

BTW, you only have a 180g display that is really your bioload, regardless of the extra water volume you have added in the system. Do not expect this skimmer cup to fill half way up every 3-4 days on that size display tank.

Unread 12/28/2012, 12:27 PM   #1458
d2mini
Registered Member

Oh so it's just dependant on the display volume? Didn't realize that.

Sometime after taking the pics i ended up with water down the tube again (after a few days of it being ok) so I actually had to open it up just slightly. I guess what I'm curious about it why I was able to get a full cup of medium to dark tea colored skim in a week without the tube connected, and now I can barely get an inch in that time, although darker/drier. Also, I don't seem to be able to get it any wetter if I wanted to. As I was saying earlier, this current position of the wedge pipe seems to be the absolute max I can close it.

I've been fighting nitrates of at least 6-12 range so I was trying to maximize my skimming. I was skimming wetter with the tube disconnected and this seemed to be helping. Now I'm worried that with the tube connected and getting hardly any skim that the nitrates may rise again. Then again, I may not fully understand what's happening, as I admitted being skimmer challenged in my OP.

Thanks!

Unread 12/31/2012, 10:25 AM   #1459
d2mini
Registered Member

So any idea why I can't skim any wetter?

Unread 12/31/2012, 11:58 AM   #1460
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Before I resopond can you please clarify this statement for me, I'm not sure what you're saying?

"Sometime after taking the pics i ended up with water down the tube again (after a few days of it being ok) so I actually had to open it up just slightly."

Unread 12/31/2012, 12:10 PM   #1461
d2mini
Registered Member

Yup, sorry it wasn't clear. I'm talking about the clear tube that runs from the wedge pipe to the red dragon pump. If I close down the wedge pipe too far, water rises in this tube far enough that it ends up going down the tube into the pump, cutting off the air supply. As I was trying to explain earlier, I have this wedge pipe closed down as far as possible without this happening. So right now I seemed to me maxed out as far as getting more/wetter skimmate. I must have been right on the edge before, because after a few days of it running like that, all of a sudden i got water down the tube. This is what I was talking about in the portion you quoted.

TIA!

Unread 01/02/2013, 02:18 PM   #1462
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Honestly, I think it basically boils down to running too large of a skimmer on too small of a system. You're having to run the water level really high up in the neck to try and skim wet. The reason you're having to run it so high to "wet skim" is because of the small bioload you have in ratio to the size skimmer you're running. You then get the water level cranked up really high and any small fluctuation in dissolved organics within the system or other changes that effect the skimmer reaction is then causing it to overflow on you.

You have two options....

1. Leave it where it's at and let it skim a little on the dry side like in the photos - which I personally think is perfect.

2. Get it set to where it's somewhat dry like it is now, and then make a 1/32 turn on the wedge pipe and walk away from it. Don't adjust it again for about a day or two. You can then keep doing that until you dial it in to where you want it, but my guess is that you're going to end up overflowing again.

Unread 01/02/2013, 02:19 PM   #1463
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Honestly, I think it basically boils down to running too large of a skimmer on too small of a system. You're having to run the water level really high up in the neck to try and skim wet. The reason you're having to run it so high to "wet skim" is because of the small bioload you have in ratio to the size skimmer you're running. You then get the water level cranked up really high and any small fluctuation in dissolved organics within the system or other changes that effect the skimmer reaction is then causing it to overflow on you.

You have two options....

1. Leave it where it's at and let it skim a little on the dry side like in the photos - which I personally think is perfect.

2. Get it set to where it's somewhat dry like it is now, and then make a 1/32 turn on the wedge pipe and walk away from it. Don't adjust it again for about a day or two. You can then keep doing that until you dial it in to where you want it, but my guess is that you're going to end up overflowing again.

Unread 01/04/2013, 04:50 PM   #1464
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks, Jeremy! That does help.
The tank is only 4 months old. I feed pretty light and don't have many fish yet. That will all be changing soon as I'll be adding a 4-5 anthias and more fish. I'll leave it where it is for now. My rock is all from TBS and with everything that comes with the rock plus all the additional snails, hermit, cucumbers, shrimp, stars, etc my cleanup crew is insane. I am also planning on picking up the vertex neck cleaner really soon because I'm terrible at keeping up with cleanings. Do you have this in stock?

Unread 01/04/2013, 08:01 PM   #1465
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Yes, the Vectra's are in stock and available to ship immediately!

Unread 01/05/2013, 04:58 PM   #1466
kelp47
Registered Member

Any idea when the 170 skimmer will be back in stock?

75 gal mixed reef
kelp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 05:17 PM   #1467
yort265
Registered Member

yes, any ideas when they will be back in stock? it's one of the last pieces of equipment I have to get for my build... so i'm anxiously waiting.

yort265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2013, 01:26 PM   #1468
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
Yes, the Vectra's are in stock and available to ship immediately!
Ordered! Thanks!

Unread 01/10/2013, 08:34 AM   #1469
IUfan
Registered Member

Looking into the alpha 200 skimmer and planning out my sump.

I saw the footprint is 18x10" and my sump measured at exactly 17.5" wide, is the 18" length of the Vertex 200 flexible, meaning if you sort of twist it sideways a bit, or bend the pump sideways a bit you can fit it in the 17.5" gap?

I thought I read this earlier on in the thread but just wanted to clarify. Going to silicone my baffles later, so wanted to know before I committed to it.

If I can do that, how big should I make that chamber? 10" or give it some wiggle room say 12"? bearing in mind I plan on having a filter sock holder in that chamber too, so would that still fit in the 17.5" gap with the skimmer, or put it on the other wall and give more room length ways.

Thanks for your help.

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2013, 10:43 AM   #1470
d2mini
Registered Member

Got my Vectra neck cleaner! It's awesome.
If anyone is interested, here's a quick video I took of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYv--RCAgTc

Unread 01/15/2013, 08:11 AM   #1471
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post
Looking into the alpha 200 skimmer and planning out my sump.

I saw the footprint is 18x10" and my sump measured at exactly 17.5" wide, is the 18" length of the Vertex 200 flexible, meaning if you sort of twist it sideways a bit, or bend the pump sideways a bit you can fit it in the 17.5" gap?

I thought I read this earlier on in the thread but just wanted to clarify. Going to silicone my baffles later, so wanted to know before I committed to it.

If I can do that, how big should I make that chamber? 10" or give it some wiggle room say 12"? bearing in mind I plan on having a filter sock holder in that chamber too, so would that still fit in the 17.5" gap with the skimmer, or put it on the other wall and give more room length ways.

Thanks for your help.
You can wiggle it around some and make a little more room if you need to. You can also cut the silicone coupler down slightly to help out as well. You shouldn't have any problems fitting it if you can go to the 12".

Unread 01/21/2013, 02:42 PM   #1472
kelp47
Registered Member

Question Where are the 170s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelp47 View Post
Any idea when the 170 skimmer will be back in stock?
Bump. I ordered back in November. Any idea when the 170s will be in???

75 gal mixed reef
Unread 01/21/2013, 02:53 PM   #1473
Sazerac81
Registered Member

By the way, d2mini, very cool mangrove refugium setup!

Sazerac81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2013, 07:28 PM   #1474
kelp47
Registered Member

Hey Jeremy, do you know when the Vertex Alpha 170s will be back in stock? I ordered back in November

75 gal mixed reef
Unread 01/25/2013, 12:37 PM   #1475
kelp47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelp47 View Post
Hey Jeremy, do you know when the Vertex Alpha 170s will be back in stock? I ordered back in November
I just heard back from my customer service rep, and she says they're supposed get the shipment in late next week. So not too much longer!

75 gal mixed reef