Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2017, 10:23 AM   #76
JVan82
Registered Member

Been out of town since Monday, came back to everything doing well had a co-worker feed while I was gone. Added these slick byblights, under cabinet led lights I got off of Amazon.

Low:

High:

Super easy to install.

My Nanobox retro kit came as well, already has the O2Surplus adapter. Can wait to get them installed as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 10:43 AM   #77
JVan82
Registered Member

Well nanobox is installed and getting it to work via apex is frustrating to say the least. I've messed with the variable speed with ramp up and down profiles, and also tried setting them as lights. The differences are not even discernible. It's all blue and green LEDs...

Unread 03/04/2017, 06:28 PM   #78
JVan82
Registered Member

Well still don't have these darn lights figured out, all I can discern at this point is channel 2 does nothing.... thoughts, comments, concerns, anything is welcome at this point!

Channel 1:

Channel 2:

Channel 3:

Channel 4:

Unread 03/04/2017, 07:41 PM   #79
GatorScott
Registered Member

How much is that kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GatorScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 07:43 PM   #80
JVan82
Registered Member

360, if you don't have apex it comes with a wireless controller... wish I had gone that route.

Unread 03/04/2017, 10:37 PM   #81
GatorScott
Registered Member

[QUOTE=JVan82;24988327]360, if you don't have apex it comes with a wireless controller... wish I had gone that route.

Sent from my SM-G920V using possibly defective?

I've got steves leds coming Monday, I'm hoping I don't run into the similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GatorScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 02:36 AM   #82
JVan82
Registered Member

Good luck

Unread 03/07/2017, 10:06 AM   #83
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

hope you get your white lime worked out!
I'm keeping my bluefish for a while but the apex is fun to play with.
i only have the vortch module and it took a while to get dialed in.
ill probably get the 8 port energy bar next but dealing with a heat issue and dont want to get a chiller.

your pics above helped! my nanobox didnt have a fan so your pic will help me wire in the original fan

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 04:44 PM   #84
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Inator View Post
hope you get your white lime worked out!
I'm keeping my bluefish for a while but the apex is fun to play with.
i only have the vortch module and it took a while to get dialed in.
ill probably get the 8 port energy bar next but dealing with a heat issue and dont want to get a chiller.

your pics above helped! my nanobox didnt have a fan so your pic will help me wire in the original fan
I have the Apex all dialed in for dawn/dusk/night, thinking the Apex adapter I have, has a faulty channel 2 hence why my white/lime aren't working, see what Dave thinks. I love the Vortech module and fusion makes changes fast. glad I could help. Me and LQT (Thanks again) spent hours last night trouble shooting my light issue.

Unread 06/10/2017, 11:56 AM   #85
JVan82
Registered Member

Time for a lil update, not much to report lost my first clown a month or 2 back. Have a clown and royal gramma in QT.

Never got the old lights dialed in always to blue and almost all of my rastas, so went the topless route with an xr15 G4 pro and wow it's amazing and with the apex module it's a breeze to set it up.

Last edited by JVan82; 06/10/2017 at 12:03 PM.
Unread 06/13/2017, 08:31 PM   #86
Jenyphur
Registered Member

How difficult is it to remove hood ?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 05:47 AM   #87
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
How difficult is it to remove hood ?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Super easy, there are 3 hinge pins, that you can separate by pulling them apart. once the are pulled apart you just lift the hood off.

I have noticed the tank stays much cooler haven't been over 78.5 since taking the hood off, before use to get to almost 80, and evaporation is much higher than with the lid. But these Ecotech lights are absolutely amazing, should have gone this route to begin with.

Unread 06/18/2017, 03:03 PM   #88
JVan82
Registered Member

Well added the new clown to the breeder box to see how they interact, so far so good. The royal gramma went and hid at the bottom under a rock... the corals are responding great to the new radion...

Unread 06/19/2017, 05:14 PM   #89
JVan82
Registered Member

So after a day I let them meet and it went good at first then it was full on battle royal! Fin biting, locked jaws, ugh so looks like I have to take the new guy back...

Unread 06/21/2017, 10:25 AM   #90
moatdaddy
Registered Member

Wonder why they decided to fight. Same sex or not added at same time so territorial.

moatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2017, 10:30 AM   #91
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moatdaddy View Post
Wonder why they decided to fight. Same sex or not added at same time so territorial.
They were the same size mistake on my part... They were fighting for dominance is my guess. Took him back to the LFS so try again...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 07/07/2017, 04:16 PM   #92
JVan82
Registered Member

Update time, so everything is going well, the new light is amazing, my Rastas are coming back finally. The toxic zoas are filling out, my gods armor zoas aren't doing much for reasons unknown. The royal gramma is doing well thus far. 2 hammers are filling out nicely. Also picked up a dragon soul favia last weekend.

Unread 08/03/2017, 12:59 PM   #93
JVan82
Registered Member

So about a month ago I added a fuge to chamber 2, 2 bottles of AlgaGen tibse pods, then after 2 weeks added a Red Mandarin. So far so good, he's eating pods and will eat frozen Mysis shrimp too. Looking into making a baby brine shrimp feeder for him as well.
Question I have is with the fuge should I still run Purogen and Chemipure elite or something different? Thanks! Pics to follow!

Unread 08/03/2017, 01:31 PM   #94
ReefWreak
Registered Member

ughhh my eyes from those giant unrotated pictures....

That's great that the mandarin is eating frozen mysis! Great sign for long term stability and health!

If you've got a fuge that is growing chaeto and/or another algae, and you're regularly pruning it back and throwing it out, then I wouldn't bother to run purigen (which is usually used to remove nitrates). The Chemipure is mostly carbon, which will remove some of the yellowing compounds released by algae, so whether you continue to run it or not is up to you.

I'm running carbon (chemipure elite) right now because I just did a heavy duty water change, scraped a ton of bubble algae out, and generally disturbed the heck out of my corals and sand bed, so I'm sure it released a lot of chemical compounds into the water. I don't usually run any chemical filtration of any sort, just skimming and occasional water changes.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 01:46 PM   #95
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
ughhh my eyes from those giant unrotated pictures....

That's great that the mandarin is eating frozen mysis! Great sign for long term stability and health!

If you've got a fuge that is growing chaeto and/or another algae, and you're regularly pruning it back and throwing it out, then I wouldn't bother to run purigen (which is usually used to remove nitrates). The Chemipure is mostly carbon, which will remove some of the yellowing compounds released by algae, so whether you continue to run it or not is up to you.

I'm running carbon (chemipure elite) right now because I just did a heavy duty water change, scraped a ton of bubble algae out, and generally disturbed the heck out of my corals and sand bed, so I'm sure it released a lot of chemical compounds into the water. I don't usually run any chemical filtration of any sort, just skimming and occasional water changes.
Thanks ReefWreck!!

I know the pics are outta control... smh

Unread 08/20/2017, 10:49 AM   #96
JVan82
Registered Member

Today the tank hit it's 1 yr milestone lots of things have changed in the past yr with the tank. Been doing weekly 4g water changes switched to red sea pro salt 4-6 months ago. Wanted to share parameters and a few pics...

Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1-2 ppm. Red sea
Phosphate: 0.12. Red sea
Mg: 1380-1400. Red sea
Kh: 9.6. Red sea
Ca: 450. Red sea

The pro salt was been amazing at bring the big 3 to needed levels without having to dose anything.

Within the last month I've been running a small fuge in chamber 2 with chaeto, mostly for a pod safe haven. In doing so I removed purigen, I have noticed in the last week or so the I'm getting so long hair algae, will continue to monitor nitrate and phosphate.

Unread 08/20/2017, 02:57 PM   #97
TexChuck
Registered Member

Your tank is looking great!!! Matured nicely!! Your thread helped me a lot starting my BC build a couple of months ago.

Are you having to reseed the pods? Are you running anything else in chamber 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 03:03 PM   #98
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexChuck View Post
Your tank is looking great!!! Matured nicely!! Your thread helped me a lot starting my BC build a couple of months ago.

Are you having to reseed the pods? Are you running anything else in chamber 2?

Thanks TC, yours is coming along nicely as well!!

So I started with a fuge basket in the back, added chaeto. Waited a week or two, to be sure there was enough nutrients for it to grow and survive. After which I bought 1 bottle of tibse pods from marine depot. Waited about a week and saw nothing in terms of pod population increase. So I purchased another bottle. A day before the second bottle arrived there were pods all over the glass. So I added the entire 2nd bottle to the fuge. ( First bottle I split between the sand bed and the fuge.) Now almost a month after adding the Mandarin, there are till plenty of pods on the glass sand and rocks. I just purchased a 3rd bottle to be safe. Will start hatching brine shrimp soon as well. He is still skinny, but he's filling out nicely.

I have the intank fuge and media rack in chamber 2, I'm just running floss on the top and chemipure elite in the bottom.

Glad this has been helpful, I learned a lot the same, from other threads!

Unread 08/20/2017, 05:45 PM   #99
TexChuck
Registered Member

Thanks!! Congrats on the mandarin and fuge success. I'm on my 3rd load of macro - I'm using the middle section of the intank media basket, but I'm debating pulling the skimmer from the second half of 2 and replacing with the fuge basket to run more macro.

I keep encountering people going skimmerless in their BC's.

Congrats again on all the growth!

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 05:48 PM   #100
JVan82
Registered Member

Notice a lot of lil sponges all over, and vermetid snails, aside from crushing them or glueing them shut, any other ways of removal?