Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2014, 12:57 PM   #4926
tegee
Premium Member

Brett....FWIW, and I am sure you are going to get TONS of advice here on the forum, but I have had tremendous results on two separate tanks using Aiptsia Eating File fish. they do work and you just have to be patient while they seek the Aiptsia over food. Some take to it quicker than others, but is DOES work from my personal experience. And FAR this expensive than your other options.

HTH and good luck............

Unread 12/29/2014, 01:52 PM   #4927
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Thanks, that exact model is on my short list, so I am glad to hear that it's pretty set-and-forget if you do the required upkeep and are willing to check a few items now and then.
Awesome! There's really nothing that can go too much wrong with the reactor itself. The complaints you hear from people can usually be traced back to the method of feeding the reactor. As long as you have a properly sized feed pump or a controllable manifold then you'll be fine. The reactor has to have internal pressure or it will bubble inside as it finds outside air to balance itself. So you need to feed enough flow into the reactor to create that small amount of pressure. Also, get the Carbon Doser regulator from Aquarium Plants. http://www.aquariumplants.com/Carbon...ator_p/co2.htm A little pricey but it's easy to dial in and is rock solid. Can't speak for other regulators, this is the only one I've used... But it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post
Brett....FWIW, and I am sure you are going to get TONS of advice here on the forum, but I have had tremendous results on two separate tanks using Aiptsia Eating File fish. they do work and you just have to be patient while they seek the Aiptsia over food. Some take to it quicker than others, but is DOES work from my personal experience. And FAR this expensive than your other options.

Excellent! That's what I have, a Matted Filefish. When I first put him in the tank he at TWO Aips immediately! Since then it's been hard to tell what he's been up to - definitely picks at the sand but I think he's looking for Pods. I'm in it for the long haul so I will wait it out and see what he does. My plan is to at some point completely replace the substrate anyway. But I want to know I have some backup since there's Aips on some of the the corals too. I don't want to replace the substrate, put new rock in, and end up in the same predicament that I'm in now since it's virtually impossible to get rid of ALL of them. Good to hear from you tegee!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2014, 04:35 PM   #4928
silentscream
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post

Thanks for the tips Roger. I added 3 Peppermint shrimp months ago but they unfortunately did nothing for the Aip issue. I am considering a Copperband as well, but we shall see...
Brett,

I'd suggest adding more peppermint shrimp. I had plague proportion aiptasia on a previous system too (55gal tank), and was not getting any results based on adding 2-3 aiptasia at a time. What really helped was when I added 7 shrimp at once.

The idea was that not all peppermint shrimp are drawn to aiptasia, but just a small percentage. If you add enough shrimp that maybe 1-2 are real aiptasia enthusiast, they can kind of elicit a feeding response with the other shrimp. This is what I read over extensive reading online and what I witnissed in my tank. They cleaned up the problem in 1-2 weeks.

My suggestion is 10-12 peppermints for a tank of your size.

Unread 12/29/2014, 04:41 PM   #4929
Nizz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentscream View Post
Brett,

I'd suggest adding more peppermint shrimp. I had plague proportion aiptasia on a previous system too (55gal tank), and was not getting any results based on adding 2-3 aiptasia at a time. What really helped was when I added 7 shrimp at once.

The idea was that not all peppermint shrimp are drawn to aiptasia, but just a small percentage. If you add enough shrimp that maybe 1-2 are real aiptasia enthusiast, they can kind of elicit a feeding response with the other shrimp. This is what I read over extensive reading online and what I witnissed in my tank. They cleaned up the problem in 1-2 weeks.

My suggestion is 10-12 peppermints for a tank of your size.

I can agree to this. I added 5 shrimps to my tank and nearly all my aptasia is gone. Going to add more to help with the rest.

Nizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2014, 04:43 PM   #4930
iced98lx
Registered Member

thanks for the tip, that particular company you linked to is about an hour from my house

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2014, 08:40 PM   #4931
Saltydrip
Registered Member

Added 2 to my 75 early on and haven't seen any aptasia since

Unread 12/30/2014, 12:30 AM   #4932
drummereef
Team RC Member

Very interesting guys, thanks for the heads up. What's everyone's thoughts about a Copperband?

Unread 12/30/2014, 04:37 AM   #4933
Saltydrip
Registered Member

They are a beautiful fish. It's my understanding that they stress easy and aren't expected to live a long life in the home aquarium. With your open tank it might not be a good candidate. I've never had one so I'm not speaking from experience, just what I've seen here on the forum.

Unread 12/30/2014, 05:27 AM   #4934
Mr D smack
Registered Member

Just from my experience is go with peppermints. My 120 had some seriously stupid apps. After adding a total of 6 peppermints I now know of 1 that eats them. It is bold to the point of seeing it eat them with the light on. When I get the phone next to the tank to get a pic/ video of it eating them it then gets camera shy

Unread 12/30/2014, 12:55 PM   #4935
tegee
Premium Member

I went with peppermint shrimp too at one point, however they got sucked down my overflows and ended up in the sump/filter sock.

Any tips on keeping them in the display tank and not the overflows/sump?

Unread 12/30/2014, 02:05 PM   #4936
Nizz
Registered Member

Use a screen for you overflows or put egg crate/screen on top to prevent them from getting in

Nizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 03:51 PM   #4937
igot2gats
Deeeetroit Basketball!

Quote:
Very interesting guys, thanks for the heads up. What's everyone's thoughts about a Copperband?
Never had one, but the hardest part is to get them to eat, from what I've researched.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but, glad to have you back...and that you're not giving up!

Stop being lazy, and use the search function. Seriously.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT / 20g sump / 20g QT - Eheim 1250, Tunze Osmolator 3155, GHL Profilux 3, 2 Tunze 6095, Tunze Wavebox, Aqua Illumination Hydra LEDs
igot2gats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2015, 10:53 AM   #4938
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Brett, it's great to see you back!

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2015, 07:14 PM   #4939
BIGD0G
Registered Member

Hey Brett. The latest pics of the dump room show your sump still looks nice and clean. I am curious how often you clean it and the equipment in it?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 180g
BIGD0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2015, 07:18 PM   #4940
Saltydrip
Registered Member

Make any ground with your tank?

Unread 01/10/2015, 08:52 PM   #4941
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Very impressive, Brett Nothing to be ashamed about and it is great seeing you post with updates! One of our best build threads in Reef Central History.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 12:33 PM   #4942
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post

Brett, I second this. It takes them a little time but one day you'll look and be surprised at how they all disappeared. I've never seen my file eat an aiptasia but they're all gone. My file will also nip the SPS a little but nothing too bad.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 08:32 PM   #4943
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

I like the invisible rock.

Can you send me some.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 08:49 PM   #4944
Pife
Registered Member

Happy your back. Your thread has helped so many people.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~

Last edited by Pife; 01/11/2015 at 09:05 PM.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 01:21 PM   #4945
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Quote:

Stop wasting time and get one. Best decision I ever made with aiptasia. I bought a medium sized one and within 2 weeks the tank was spotless of them. Big or small it didn't matter. It tackled one aiptasia that was possibly 6 inches tall.

Mine took to PE Mysis along the way too without many problems. I had it in my tank for 2 years before I took it down.

Just remember you aren't the only one with problems

Just started my 180 back up after not having a tank for a little over a year. Good luck and I hope to keep you around this time. I need the support system as much as you!

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 02:57 PM   #4946
CoralFiend
Registered Member

I have had a medium sized Copperband in my 140 for 5-6 years. I have aiptasia in my overflows and in my sump - but ZERO in my display tank. He doesn't disturb anything else that I have in my tank. He eats mysis, PE mysis, brine shrimp and just about any meaty food that is small enough for him to get in his mouth. Not a timid feeder at all. I have a Blue Jaw Trigger in the same tank and they are the two most aggressive eaters when I feed.

I have also used a Copperband in my old 75 with the same results for another 5-6 years. They are my go-to solution for aiptasia. Maybe I have been lucky, but aiptasia control is just something that I do not worry about anymore.

Reef Savvy 125 on order - Status: Waiting...

Current Tank Info: 140 gallon reef
CoralFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 11:05 PM   #4947
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

You guys are seriously awesome. Truly. Thank you for all the help, advice, and contribution to this thread.

A little, well BIG update for you... My little Filefish friend has been hard at work when I wasn't looking. It's been a busy few weeks so I honestly haven't been micromanaging the tank. But before I knew it, they were gone... Yes, GONE!!! Like done, vamoose, skedaddle, begone! I swore nothing was happening and then all of a sudden a few nights ago I noticed I couldn't find any Aiptasias! Well, I found ONE . He must be leaving it for desert. Here's some pics.

Sand bed is clean, besides the detritus and cyano. lol

The underside of the eggcrate used to be covered. Now, none!

The frogspawn used to be an Aiptasia farm. Now, not even one.

The only visible Aiptasia I can find is this guy hiding in the Spongodes.

My HERO.

Unread 02/07/2015, 11:53 PM   #4948
biecacka
Registered Member

Brett, glad that guy was able to wipe them out for you buddy.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 03:17 AM   #4949
danielmitchell
Registered Member

so u get a cool fish and an aptasia solution all in one, nice

Unread 02/08/2015, 07:51 AM   #4950
shaggss
Registered Member

That's awesome Brett. Glad to see you back and very glad some luck is going your way!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote