Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2019, 06:50 AM   #1
Tom39
Registered Member

External Skimmer Return Defuser

My setup utilizes an external skimmer that is housed in a closet to the right of my DT. To feed the skimmer, water is pumped from the sump, which is located under the DT, through 2 walls and to the skimmer. The return takes a similar route and is returned to the sump. The fall in plumbing from the output of the skimmer to the water surface in the sump is about 16" and travels about 36". During the return to the sump, the water picks up a bit of speed and prior to building my defuser caused quite a bit of*noise, salt creep, micro-bubbles and**splashing.*In an effort to reduce all 4 of these negative effects I put together about 5 renditions before settling on this one, which by the way works flawlessly.
How it works: The valve at the end of the pipe is the main point of exit. This valve is used to throttle the exit of water to allow only 99% of water to pass through. This causes the water to climb in height inside the return defuser until it reaches the 90* elbows (bypass line) where the remaining 1% of water is allowed to trickle to the water surface of the sump. Because there is so little water going down the bypass line it tends to run down the walls of the pipe and create only the smallest of streams when it enters the sump. This small amount of water creates no nose, salt creep, micro-bubbles or splashing.**

Anyway, I thought that I would share what I have come up with in case anyone who uses an external skimmer has a similar situation and is looking for a possible solution.

Thanks for looking,
Tom G*

It was really hard to get a pic while it was installed but I hope they help with the understanding of how it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote