Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Mryin
Registered Member

Anemone dying maybe???

This bta has been in the tank a month. Did well the first week and then I fed it a mysis shrimp, one piece, and BAMMM! It’s looked like this almost 2 weeks now. It looks worse everyday it seems. It has moved around a bit, within a 4 inch area on the same rock.

Should I pull it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 02/03/2019, 01:07 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Sadly yes. It looks like it’s melting away, the last stage of dying process. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Mryin
Registered Member

So my next question is WHAT HAPPENED? It was a LA online purchase. Came in and looked healthy. Did eat a piece of mysis a couple of times. But then this. Parameters are on point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 02/03/2019, 01:21 PM   #4
humphreyhh
Registered Member

It’s very hard to measure the death cause because it really depends on what went wrong in the tank. For example, if water parameters are way off they can dye within a week. But if just little things are off the dying process can be super long, extending to couple of months. The problems can be measurement not accurate, tank mates irritating it (especially some shrimp can stick into its mouth to get the food out)...usually longer dying time is due to the water perimeters, even “offpoint” salinity or frequent slight swaying can cause a slow death. Some of these are hard to avoid that’s why anemones can hardly “live forever” in our tanks.

Unread 02/03/2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Mryin
Registered Member

I can understand that. Still baffles me. Maybe the tank is still too young. Should I leave it and see if it may bounce back or is it a total waste of time and risk?

Unread 02/03/2019, 01:57 PM   #6
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I also forgot to mention bacteria infections usually requires the treatment of cipro before introduction to the tank.

It’s really sad to throw it away like that because it’s actually still alive...but bouncing back from that stage is rare based on my experience.

Looks like it’s started melting away from it’s tentacles. If your filtration is strong it would be ok to leave it there for some time but once it really starts laying on the sandbed and melting down, take it out immediately, including the water that has the debris.

Unread 02/03/2019, 03:21 PM   #7
Mryin
Registered Member

Well I don’t want to take a chance so I pulled it. Thank you for the advice.

Unread 02/03/2019, 03:23 PM   #8
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mryin View Post
Well I don’t want to take a chance so I pulled it. Thank you for the advice.

That’s probably best for the rest of the tank. Hope you will succeed next time.