Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2018, 11:36 PM   #1
justins13
Registered Member

Worm/Parasite ID Help!!!🙏

HELP!!!! ID??? �� So I’ve had two recent fish deaths out of nowhere... First one was my moorish idol. He was fat healthy and would eat anything. No visible signs whatsoever. Ate Good Friday night then dead Saturday. I was baffled and couldn’t figure out what happened to him. Figured maybe it was just one of “those” things. Then today I saw my 6” copper band swimming funny. At first it just looked like he was swimming upside down for the cleaner wrasse which he sometimes does but after watching I could tell something was wrong. I grabbed him by hand and moved him to my hospital tank. I run hypo in it and added some prazipro as I suspected flukes or internal parasites. When I came home a few hours later it was dead. I put it in a fresh water dip to confirm flukes. I looked in around the 10 min mark and didn’t see anything then I got side tracked and didn’t check on it again for a couple of hours and found these worms... STILL ALIVE!!!! Even in fresh water with methylene blue for 2-3 hours they were still alive ���� Anyone have an id??? This is not going to be fun to treat in the 500...

https://ibb.co/cb1AO9
https://ibb.co/jhxji9
https://ibb.co/iJ6AO9
https://ibb.co/jjeaqp

Last edited by justins13; 08/16/2018 at 12:05 AM.
justins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 10:08 AM   #2
lagatbezan
Registered Member

wow! I have no idea what they are but thats crazy! do you see any spots on the fish that they came out off? wondering if it was inside the guts or under the skin and gills.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 12:14 AM   #3
justins13
Registered Member

No fish looked perfectly healthy...

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:00 AM   #4
RegalAngel
Registered Member

They look like tubifex worms.

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 01:26 PM   #5
jmicky41
Registered Member

Interesting.

I wonder if a drop or two of prazi in the water with the worms would kill them.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 12:11 PM   #6
justins13
Registered Member

I added prazi a few drops to the oz or to of water and it took about 48hrs even at that high of a dosage to kill them...