Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2010, 10:24 PM   #1
jdm18honda
Registered Member

new 75 and stand feedback welcome good or bad

here are some pictures of my new tank it is only about a week old and the stand in 8 feet long including the small side stand for the pump and reefkeeper and ato i dont have everything set up on the tank yet because the other one in still up and running it is a 75 gallon display and a 75 sump/refuge i did a cali style over flow with a bean style setup let me know if you like it

Current Tank Info: 110 rimless with 75 gallon sump/refuge and 24 gallon frag tank all custom by reef savvy
jdm18honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2010, 01:10 AM   #2
uncleof6
Registered Member

Well two things: Your sump is way too full. For safety, they should only run ~ half full. This is to allow room for power out drain down. To do otherwise is to ask for a flood. Oh, you have a check valve. That is the second thing. Check valves can, do and will fail-- when you are away for the weekend, or simply at work. There is only ONE way to prevent a flood: Extra room in the sump.

I can't really tell what is holding that tank up, but looks like just plywood. The tank needs vertical support directly underneath that goes to the floor. Other than that, a nice piece of furniture.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2010, 01:13 AM   #3
reefermad619
Registered Member

Few questions... What size plumbing did you use to plump the bean? Are there supports directly underneath the corners of the the tank in the stand? One of the best ways to build out a stands is to build a frame to fit the tank and then build out from there. And last, is the sump going to run at the level all the time? It doesn't look like there is any room for overflow into the sump in case of a power failure.

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 10:12 AM   #4
jdm18honda
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 110 rimless with 75 gallon sump/refuge and 24 gallon frag tank all custom by reef savvy
Unread 08/28/2010, 10:17 AM   #5
jdm18honda
Registered Member

the top frame is built out of 2x6's and the front edge of the tank and the back edge both run on a 2x6 so i see no need for more support than that i have stood on the stand with the tank up and running with no problems. this is not the first stand i have built

also with the pumps turned off there is 15 gallons left in the bottom i have made the check valves fail with no problems and i ran my auto top off dry with still about 5 to 8 gallons left so i think i am ok with the overflow problem a lot of planning went into this tank before i made it i have covered all of the bases but thanks for the feedback

Unread 08/28/2010, 10:18 AM   #6
jdm18honda
Registered Member

[URL=http://img820.imageshack.us/i/img4400k.jpg/]

Unread 08/28/2010, 10:20 AM   #7
jdm18honda
Registered Member

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/2615/img4400k.jpg

Unread 08/28/2010, 01:24 PM   #8
reefermad619
Registered Member

Coo. The sump looked like the only thing that was a little scary. Any plans on painting the back of the tank? The stand looks great.

Unread 08/28/2010, 01:32 PM   #9
captnslapy
Registered Member

looks great, but I would of never guessed you had enuff room left in that sump.

captnslapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 01:43 PM   #10
reefermad619
Registered Member

Maybe the pic is of when there IS a power failure?

Unread 08/28/2010, 07:54 PM   #11
jdm18honda
Registered Member

i have painted the back glass on my last three tanks but have decided not to on this one.
i have lowered the waterline some just to have more room and added another piece of glass to the bubble trap

Unread 08/28/2010, 10:15 PM   #12
lilredwuck
Registered Member

Location: Excelsior Springs, (Kansas City) Missouri but mainly LA-LA land
On my tank if the power fails the sump level raises less than 1/2". I still run it about 4-5 inches from the top of the sump though.

Oh, and BTW my 220 gallon tank stand was built with 3/4" mdf. Had to do a little replacing when I bought it. It was factory built that way I assume, and sadly there were small crown staples holding most everything. I think people tend to overbuild IMHO. Where the previous owner had let the mdf get wet it had swelled to over 1 1/2" thick. I have built MANY stands, out of tons of different materials, and haven't had one fail yet. What I mostly see is 3/4" plywood stands, and mdf stands.

Last edited by lilredwuck; 08/28/2010 at 10:41 PM.
lilredwuck is offline   Reply With Quote