Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/26/2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Grand Marquis
Registered Member

47" wide screen tv aquarium

Well what else am I supposed to do with a rear projection tv that costs more to repair than to buy?

The fun part is designing the tank that will fit the tv screen (and where I need the most help). The rest of it is just disguising the tank and stand with tv skin.

I have no experience with acrylic (or glass, for that matter). I expect to hear that I’m mad, but there’s a fine line between madness and genius.

So, I thought I could make an acrylic tank and cut the cost in half if I did it this way. Let me know what y’all think after I describe it a little with this picture...

That’s a 3/4” front panel and this isn’t pictured, but I figured to screw it to the plywood with a screw every 2” or whatever. I’d countersink holes about 3/8” from the edge on the front panel to meet the center of the 3/4” plywood walls (and bottom). Will this give enough strength that silicone would seal it, or would solvent welding still be necessary?

The walls are made of 1/4” acrylic backed with plywood. I suppose I could go with thinner acrylic for the walls, but I don’t know.

Let me know what you think, and how it might be changed to make it work.

Grand Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Flanders
Registered Member

I think you've gone mad! I like it!

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef, two 175-watt MH, two vho actinic
Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 01:46 PM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Do some reading on here or on fingerlakesreef.com about wood tank construction - there are some tried and true methods that (IMHO) are worth following if you're venturing down that path.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Grand Marquis
Registered Member

Thanks der_wille_zur_macht, I'll look through that forum, but I figure I won't go with a wood frame that the glass sits behind (if that's what your pointing to) because I want to hold the front of the tank as close to the front of the tv screen as possible.

But I'll change that if I have to, don't get me wrong. I appreciate the help.

Unread 08/26/2010, 03:08 PM   #5
trb
Registered Member

Interesting idea! We have a 46" projection TV that is in a custom built in corner cabinet surrounded by shelves, and my wife suggested putting a tank in it's place. Luckily the TV was repaired for about $280, but it would be a nice little project for the future.

Good luck on it!

member of MARSHreef - the Marine and Reef Society of Houston.

Current Tank Info: 60+ Gal top reef display + 29 gal non reef safe lower display + 29 gal sump
trb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 03:12 PM   #6
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Marquis View Post
Thanks der_wille_zur_macht, I'll look through that forum, but I figure I won't go with a wood frame that the glass sits behind (if that's what your pointing to) because I want to hold the front of the tank as close to the front of the tv screen as possible.
Understood. Your criteria are definitely unique. But, I do not know of a tried and true method to bond an acrylic or glass panel onto the "face" of a "frameless" wood box as you're proposing. Something tells me that bonding the front panel to the 1/4" acrylic liner you are showing inside the wood box won't be sufficient, and driving screws into the viewing panel scares me.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 08/26/2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Pickupman66
Registered Member

Illl add to this. you shoudl also consider some sort fo brace around the rim of the tank to prevent bowing of the front panel

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Grand Marquis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
...onto the "face" of a "frameless" wood box... ... and driving screws into the viewing panel scares me.
Ok, now I hear you. When you put it that way...

All else aside, if I give it the strength do you think silicone can give a water seal to the acrylic?

Unread 08/26/2010, 06:54 PM   #9
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Silicone can form a water-tight seal between acrylic and other materials as long as it is absolutely NOT structural and both the acrylic and the supporting structure are rigid enough to avoid flex under pressure. This is why wood tanks are made the way they are - the silicone used to glue in the viewing panels essentially acts like a gasket, not a structural bonding agent, since the force of the water is compressing the viewing panel against the outer wood frame.

Your tank has dimensions that would be easy to get away with a small face frame for the viewing panel - 3/4" plywood would probably be overkill, you might be fine with 1/2" as long as it was well bonded to the sides and bottom, and there was a substantial brace on the top.

You seem to have your heart set on acrylic for the viewing panel. If you're doing a wood tank, I'd vote for glass. It's more rigid, and silicone will actually form a strong bond to it. Both have been used, but glass has a better track record for wood tanks than acrylic.

Also, about that acrylic lining in the tank - for wood tanks, a pored epoxy liner is much more common. To my knowledge, no one has built a wood tank lined with acrylic.

All of my comments are based on the "conventional" school of thought for wood tanks, which - again - is a proven method that will ensure your success. If you want to venture into uncharted territory, that's great - but make sure you test and/or validate your ideas!

Unread 08/26/2010, 11:44 PM   #10
diaz2010
Registered Member

Looks very cool!! Good luck!!

diaz2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Grand Marquis
Registered Member

Trb, maybe you won't have to take the tv out when you add the tank (just the guts. It will be the nature channel 24/7.

Unread 08/27/2010, 04:46 PM   #12
XSiVE
Registered Member

What are you planning to do for a stand / support?

XSiVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 09:17 AM   #13
csarkar001
Registered Member

mixing wood with acrylic

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post

You seem to have your heart set on acrylic for the viewing panel. If you're doing a wood tank, I'd vote for glass. It's more rigid, and silicone will actually form a strong bond to it. Both have been used, but glass has a better track record for wood tanks than acrylic.
+1

wood and acrylic are a tough combo. in fact, acrylic and anything non-acryilic are a tough combo. still, i hope you figure out a way and share it with us. could come in handy down the road ...

csarkar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 10:49 AM   #14
lgndrympterry
Registered Member

good louck, but if i were you id get an acrylic tank that fits into the wood frame and then youd be great. Or check out glass cages. com to see if they have any ideas.

lgndrympterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Grand Marquis
Registered Member

XSiVE, I haven't come to that yet. The stand will be dependent on the tv face parts. But it should have about 24" underneath it. I have a 40 gal breeder that was going to be my main tank, but it has too many scratches. Now, i suppose, it will be my sump.

lgndrympterry, thanks for the link. I was looking at the starphire glass. Is it worth it? I was interested in acrylic because of the clarity and lower refraction, but it scratches easily.

Does anyone know about low iron glass and if there are any trade-offs for the clarity, as in strength and hardness? Maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks everyone for you help.

This is about the same as the one I have.