Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2018, 06:04 AM   #1
snaza
Registered Member

0 Ammonia in New tank Cycle

Hi,

Been in the game for ages but haven't cycled a new tank for 10+ years.

I got premium Live rock from Barrier Reef Australia and cycled it for 2-3 weeks in a spare tank. lots of die off and stinky but never tested the water.

Anyway, 1 week ago I moved it to my newly setup display with fresh NSW and haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite. There is lots of life, worms, starfish and snails all over the LR.

Do I need to force an ammonia spike or just let it be? maybe the cycle happened in the 3 weeks my LR was curing.

cheers
Aaron

T5 SPS 60x33x20 Display Tank + 50x16x8 Frag Tank - 10x54W ATI Powermodule | 2 x Tunze 6205 | Tunze 6105 | 2 x modded Tunze 6025 | Polario 15ML (Frag Tank) | ATB white cone Skimmer with Airstar 1500 | WM Ecobak in TLF 550

Current Tank Info: 60x33x20 SPS T5 DT + 52x16x8 FT, 4x2x2, 30x10x8
snaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 07:38 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The cycle already happened or there was no cycle..

Most people just don't understand the basics of the whole process..

The whole point of "cycling" is to build up a sufficient bacterial population in the tank to quickly process toxic ammonia into its lesser toxic forms (nitrite then nitrate)..

"Live rock" is called that because its already populated with that bacterial..
"Dry rock" is not.. "Live rock" is..

If you purchase "Live rock" locally and its been kept at the fish store in a tub of saltwater and you take it home and immediately put it into a tank of saltwater there will be NO cycle..
The reason that local fish stores keep tubs of cured live rock is so that you can buy a tank, a nemo fish for your screaming daughter and immediately take it home and set it up and enjoy... There is no cycle because it already happened and you carried all that bacteria with the live rock you purchased.. So the tank instantly has a sufficient bacterial population and voila.. No cycle..

As you stated you purchased live rock then there is already bacteria..
Now if that rock is shipped and kept damp there will be some die off of bacteria and there might be a week or so or a few days or whatever depending on how much die off where that bacterial population will need to increase back to its "pre shipped" level.. As soon as that happens the cycle is over..

When you move that rock (already containing bacteria) into another tank you carry that bacteria with the rock and the new tank will have no cycle.. and there is no need to "force" a cycle as its already cycled..

Unread 03/07/2018, 03:42 PM   #3
snaza
Registered Member

Thanks heaps mcgyvr

Aaron

T5 SPS 60x33x20 Display Tank + 50x16x8 Frag Tank - 10x54W ATI Powermodule | 2 x Tunze 6205 | Tunze 6105 | 2 x modded Tunze 6025 | Polario 15ML (Frag Tank) | ATB white cone Skimmer with Airstar 1500 | WM Ecobak in TLF 550

Current Tank Info: 60x33x20 SPS T5 DT + 52x16x8 FT, 4x2x2, 30x10x8
snaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:09 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You are welcome bunches

Unread 03/07/2018, 04:19 PM   #5
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

Have you been adding a source of ammonia to the tank? Without a source of ammonia the bacteria have nothing to feed off of, stopping your tank from cycling. I reccomend just adding whatever fish food you have or if you really feel like it you can add an ammonia supplement and that will start the cycle.

Good Luck!

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 06:52 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonioporagirl View Post
Have you been adding a source of ammonia to the tank? Without a source of ammonia the bacteria have nothing to feed off of, stopping your tank from cycling. I reccomend just adding whatever fish food you have or if you really feel like it you can add an ammonia supplement and that will start the cycle.

Good Luck!
They stated "lots of die off".. which equals no additional ammonia needed..

From their description I guarantee the cycle already occurred..

Unread 03/08/2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Reefiez
Registered Member

+1 mcgyvr

add first fish(es) before your live rock becomes dead rock!