Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Editour2
Frank

AC to DC return pump comparison

I am currently utilizing a Reeflo Dart pump for my return on my system. This pump also feeds my skimmer and provides water/circulation to my frag tank, (which drains back through my refugium and then back to the DT sump...via gravity). I just recently viewed slief's video regarding the Royal Exclusive RD3 and was wondering if these 2 pumps were interchangeable....regarding intake and out....(I believe they are). I was also wondering if you could tell me the approximate savings of switching to the DC pump in terms of electricity usage.
thanks

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 04:58 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editour2 View Post
I am currently utilizing a Reeflo Dart pump for my return on my system. This pump also feeds my skimmer and provides water/circulation to my frag tank, (which drains back through my refugium and then back to the DT sump...via gravity). I just recently viewed slief's video regarding the Royal Exclusive RD3 and was wondering if these 2 pumps were interchangeable....regarding intake and out....(I believe they are). I was also wondering if you could tell me the approximate savings of switching to the DC pump in terms of electricity usage.
thanks
Not exactly. The RD3 230 has a 2" input and a 1.5" output the the output is on the opposite side of the volute. If you have your return side hard plumbed without any flex PVC, the return side of the Dart would be about 1.5" to the right of where the RD3's return connection is. Also, the input and output may not line up eactly front to rear with the Dart. When I switched over from my Superdart return pump, I had to redo part of the return side of my plumbing. On the closed loop it wasn't an issue because I had some flex PVC in there.

When I added the union ball valves to my RD3 pumps, I cut and glued the plumbing to the new pump so it lined up with the Dart but it wasn't as though both pumps had the inlets and outlets in the same spot.

Here are some pictures comparing the RD3 230 to the Superdart Gold and a Hammerhead Gold. Keep in mind that I had the RD3 shown in these pictures already plumbed to match the connections on the tank side so that my RD3 Pumps could be interchangeable via the union ball valves. What I can tell you is that the RD3 230 at 150 watts is about the same as a Superdart Gold which draws around 187 watts according to my Kill-A-Watt and the RD3 is silent and cold running compared to the Dart.

This front view shows that the outlet on the RD3 is on the opposite side of the Volute compared to the Reeflo pumps.

A view from the side. I think the RD3 230's inlet at the face of the slip fitting on the union connection is a little further forward than the front of the Dart although once you thread a 1.5" fitting into the Dart, it's close.

A view from behind.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote