Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona-Sierra Vista/Tucson Reef Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Jmnazari
Hangin' w/ Rome from SWR

Getting my sump going!

I've been wanting to get my sump/fuge going to several months now. I have a 46 bow and a 20 gal tall sump. The DT isn't drilled and I don't feel like buying a overflow box thing etc....So I have a siphon from my DT to the sump/fuge and a pump with a "snorkel" for the return. I can't really think of a way it could overflow. My only problem is getting the valves just right hahahaha. I don't have any fancy baffles or a skimmer in the sump (I do have a HOB on the DT,) I plan on using the sump as refugium of sorts; grow macros and extra filtration etc. Any thoughts, comments, reminders, tips and hints? Thanks, Justin.

Jmnazari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:47 AM   #2
brettinteriors
Registered Member

it's easy and cheap to have sea come out and drill your tank. Totally worth it, at some point te siphon will break. Coming from personal and friends experience Even with a aqua lifter to maintain a siphon malfunctions will happen. I felt it was like a ticking time bomb, and it was. It can overflow from the sump pump pumping water into your tank and the siphon on the return breaking. With a hob baffles are not a necessity. I recommend a mesh style filter sock as opposed to the thick clog in a day felt ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmnazari View Post
I've been wanting to get my sump/fuge going to several months now. I have a 46 bow and a 20 gal tall sump. The DT isn't drilled and I don't feel like buying a overflow box thing etc....So I have a siphon from my DT to the sump/fuge and a pump with a "snorkel" for the return. I can't really think of a way it could overflow. My only problem is getting the valves just right hahahaha. I don't have any fancy baffles or a skimmer in the sump (I do have a HOB on the DT,) I plan on using the sump as refugium of sorts; grow macros and extra filtration etc. Any thoughts, comments, reminders, tips and hints? Thanks, Justin.

140 gallon half round mixed reef, 28 gallon Cardiff.
brettinteriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:55 AM   #3
victornator333
Registered Member

Here are my suggestions...

Not sure that I understand the description your setup, but I personally recommend drilling or getting a professional overflow/siphon. You would be VERY surprised at all the things that could go wrong when u add a sump into your tank. The last thing u want is a malfunction and saltwater all over the place(speaking from experience).

Baffles arent that hard to install and is quite cheap you want to DIY, but I like them because they offer flexibility in the sump. If you want to use it primarily as a fuge, i think baffles to separate the return from the rest of it would be nice because it would help prevent a possible clog of the pump.

Lots of people like to use a DSB in their fuge(again baffles are required here I think) because they provide that biodiversity everyone loves.

Im sure everyone else has some more input, but thats what I can think of now.

victornator333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 01:10 AM   #4
Jmnazari
Hangin' w/ Rome from SWR

Yeah, I for sure want it drilled, but I just had an itch to see the sump going LOL. I agree about the ticking time bomb part, it's all pretty scary! Thanks for the tip about the filter sock!

Unread 05/08/2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Jmnazari
Hangin' w/ Rome from SWR

I like the idea of baffles, but I'd also like to keep my 20g tall as a fuge to grow macro algae, and I don't know if I can get baffles tall enough. I do understand the clogging issue though. DSBs and the possibility of toxic sludge is a risk i'm not willing to take hahahahaha! For my setup, I have a tube that sits only about an inch into my DT's water, which is then naturally siphoned via gravity into the sump. I then have the return pump sucking water from 1 inch below the waterline in the sump. So that way, if I lose power or suction, there is only 1 inch of water loss or gain in the DT or sump, which hopefully wont cause an overflow.

Unread 05/08/2012, 08:09 AM   #6
brettinteriors
Registered Member

I forgot to mention a flapper style(no spring) check valve on the return line. They won't have them at ace/depot.

140 gallon half round mixed reef, 28 gallon Cardiff.
brettinteriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 01:26 PM   #7
victornator333
Registered Member

you can get glass cut at lowes. they wont charge you any extra for cutting it. Let me know if u decide to do it and have some questions putting it together or need some help. Ill be happy to try and see what i can do

victornator333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Newsalth2o
Registered Member

Look at www.beananimal.com I built that overflow into my 125 and I love it super silent and easy to set-up/maintain. You need a good amount of surge space in your sump though. I have built a few sumps with acrylic and silicone found that 3/16 acrylic in glass works well used GE silicone 1 clear. And don't be stingy with it. Don't be afraid to experiment with sump layout. I use the felt socks in my sump they last about a week then I just wash them in the washing machine no soap. I do bleach them in a bucket when I take them out and find that gets them clean enough. I have four sets of socks so they get to soak for a while in the water/bleach. So the washing machine trip is like two rinse cycles instead of a wash and rinse. Be patient you'll find a design you like. Buy a used tank off CL for your first few designs that way you're out like $40 for supplies and can do several designs 'til you find what you like.

+1 or Brett's valve

Last edited by Newsalth2o; 05/08/2012 at 09:12 PM.
Newsalth2o is offline   Reply With Quote