Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2010, 02:45 PM   #1
calziereef
Registered Member

Soft Corals and Nutrients

I have heard that many soft corals Prefer to live in slightly more nutrient rich waters, and actually absorb some of these nitrates, what soft corals specifically prefer to live in nutrient rich waters?

Thanks

calziereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Tuscaquatics
Registered Member

Pretty much all soft corals do to some degree. In general they are less dependent on photosynthesis than SPS or LPS.

But as far as I know, the conditions they find favorable would still be considered ultra-clean by our standards. I strive to keep my water as clean as possible, as if I had SPS even though I don't yet, and I don't think my soft corals could possibly be doing better.

Many people find that most soft corals grow just fine in somewhat dirty water. But I don't believe they would grow any better than they would in SPS-quality water.

Tuscaquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 03:35 PM   #3
calziereef
Registered Member

So could I put some soft corals in my tank which has about 10 - 15ppm nitrate, (my tanks only 2 months old, so not as many de-nitrifying bacteria, and I only added some macro algae yesterday)

Unread 08/18/2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Tuscaquatics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calziereef View Post
So could I put some soft corals in my tank which has about 10 - 15ppm nitrate, (my tanks only 2 months old, so not as many de-nitrifying bacteria, and I only added some macro algae yesterday)
I figured this was what you were getting at. Yes, if you have 10-15 nitrates, along with 0 nitrites and ammonia, you can probably start putting some soft corals in.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Unread 08/18/2010, 03:59 PM   #5
calziereef
Registered Member

I'm getting some t5ho ballasts in a few days, about 150w in all.

Unread 08/18/2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Tuscaquatics
Registered Member

When you get the T5s installed, you can start with some mushrooms or maybe some palythoas/zoanthids. Pulsing xenia will also do nicely if you happen to walk into the LFS and see it and fall in love like a lot of new reefers do.

Unread 08/18/2010, 04:12 PM   #7
drew1
Registered Member

Xenias and kenya trees are doing well in my formerly FOWLR tank, which has nitrates of around 20. Trying to bring the nitrates down lower, but these corals are doing OK so far.

drew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 04:13 PM   #8
calziereef
Registered Member

How easy are xenia to keep, because I tend to get a lot of conflicting information, some say it's one of the easiest and some say it's one of the most difficult

Unread 08/18/2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Jeff
Registered Member

Most soft corals tolerate water that is not usually "preferred" for less hardy corals such as most sps. I would still be careful putting coral in a tank that is unstable or still cycling. If the reason your tank still has nitrate is because it has failed to fully cycle after 2 months, go very slow and keep an eye on your nitrates. Do more water changes to bring down nutrient levels. Patience goes a long way in this hobby.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Tuscaquatics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1 View Post
Xenias and kenya trees are doing well in my formerly FOWLR tank, which has nitrates of around 20. Trying to bring the nitrates down lower, but these corals are doing OK so far.
I could have said Kenya tree, also, but I'm beginning to think I won't recommend it anymore. I have so many damn branches laying around everywhere and growing stuck to the glass, growing off my torch corals, stuck to my powerheads, etc. I started off with one little branch of it that I jammed in a rock and I now would literally have a forest of Kenya trees if I didn't grab them and flush them down the toilet.

And xenia is one of those where some people just can't get it to take off. It's not really a matter of it being difficult to keep, there's just something about it that is kind of unknown.

Unread 08/18/2010, 04:33 PM   #11
calziereef
Registered Member

I'm thinking of starting off with leathers and yellow polyps, what do you think?

Unread 08/18/2010, 04:45 PM   #12
drew1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaquatics View Post
I could have said Kenya tree, also, but I'm beginning to think I won't recommend it anymore. I have so many damn branches laying around everywhere and growing stuck to the glass, growing off my torch corals, stuck to my powerheads, etc. I started off with one little branch of it that I jammed in a rock and I now would literally have a forest of Kenya trees if I didn't grab them and flush them down the toilet.

And xenia is one of those where some people just can't get it to take off. It's not really a matter of it being difficult to keep, there's just something about it that is kind of unknown.
The reason I have Kenya trees in my former FOWLR tank is specifcally what you stated. I have so many branches just laying around in the reef tank why not try them in this one. And they like it!

drew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 05:48 PM   #13
blasterman789
Registered Member

Every LPS I've had has grown better with some bonus nitrate in the water, so 10ppm or so. LPS have skeletons that have to keep up, so they can't grow as wildy fast as softies.

Every shroom, Xenia or zoa I've had has grown proportional to the amount of excess Nitrate. Shrooms and Xenia in particular can get out of hand with higher levels of nitrate. I've also made either melt away by changing the tank to ultra low nutrient mode via removing fish and getting nitrate to true zero.

blasterman789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, nitrate, nutrients, soft coral