Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/20/2011, 04:47 PM   #3826
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

thank you

thanks alot for your help. My LFS has clown gobys in now, which would be least aggresive between the orchid or royal gramma to such a small yellow fish?

Unread 04/20/2011, 04:49 PM   #3827
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Canada View Post
thanks alot for your help. My LFS has clown gobys in now, which would be least aggresive between the orchid or royal gramma to such a small yellow fish?
royal gramma will not notice clown gobies. Orchid dottyback may also not notice them. the issue is they are not in the same ecological niche

Unread 04/20/2011, 05:08 PM   #3828
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

i see, would it matter if the dottyback was added after the clown was established? I was just curious since instead of getting purple and yellow in one fish, i could have two fish of very unique colors.

Unread 04/20/2011, 06:02 PM   #3829
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
i see, would it matter if the dottyback was added after the clown was established? I was just curious since instead of getting purple and yellow in one fish, i could have two fish of very unique colors.
Order will make no difference in this case. As I said previously, you may be quite fine.

Unread 04/20/2011, 06:16 PM   #3830
Lynnmw1208
Registered Member

What do you think about 2 smaller tangs in a 125gallon? I am still debating on whether I want just one or 2. The tangs I am thinking about are the yellow(Zebrasoma flavescens) and yellow eye kole(Ctenochaetus strigosus). So far I really like the kole tang's personality that I have seen in the LFS, but I love the yellow color of the other one.

tank inhabitants right now are:
2 ocellaris clowns
green mandarin

Other proposed inhabitants are:
exquisite wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
3 maldives anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)
yellowhead jawfish
tailspot blenny
firefish
royal gramma
maybe a shrimp goby as I have a pistol somewhere...
maybe a small angel like coral beauty or flame

equipment: Eshopps psk-200 skimmer, Mag 12 pump, 30gal sump, 2x 300w Finnex heaters, glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit with 3/4" return kits, 72" 8x36w t-5 AquaticLife light, 66lbs of LR, 150lbs of tropic eden reeflakes, 2 Koralia Evo 1400, JBJ ATO, BRS dual GFO/carbon reactors, Hydor smartwave

Current Tank Info: 125gallon
Unread 04/20/2011, 07:05 PM   #3831
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmw1208 View Post
What do you think about 2 smaller tangs in a 125gallon? I am still debating on whether I want just one or 2. The tangs I am thinking about are the yellow(Zebrasoma flavescens) and yellow eye kole(Ctenochaetus strigosus). So far I really like the kole tang's personality that I have seen in the LFS, but I love the yellow color of the other one.

Yes, but the yellow tank can be aggressive; I would recommend only one with preference toward the Kole Tang. I much prefer Ctenochaetus tangs due to personality. If I were to recommend, among the Ctenochaetus tangs, I would go with Kole or Chevron

tank inhabitants right now are:
2 ocellaris clowns
green mandarin

Other proposed inhabitants are:
exquisite wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
3 maldives anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)
yellowhead jawfish
tailspot blenny
firefish may possibly be intimated by the equisite wrasse so be sure it is added first
royal gramma
maybe a shrimp goby as I have a pistol somewhere...
maybe a small angel like coral beauty or flame

Coral Beauty are more aggressive; I have a great admiration for Marshall Island Flame angels because of their superior coloration (imo)

Unread 04/20/2011, 07:25 PM   #3832
boxer rox
Registered Member

I've got a 29 gal.Oceanic biocube with 45 lbs. of live rock. Right now I have a Royal gramma and a Sailfin blenny. Can I add a Maroon clown or would it need more room? Thanks in advance

Unread 04/20/2011, 07:27 PM   #3833
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer rox View Post
I've got a 29 gal.Oceanic biocube with 45 lbs. of live rock. Right now I have a Royal gramma and a Sailfin blenny. Can I add a Maroon clown or would it need more room? Thanks in advance
Although a 29 gallon tank is not spacious, room is not the issue. Maroon clowns are hyper aggressive and will take over your entire tank. I would look for a fish other than a clownfish.

Unread 04/20/2011, 07:35 PM   #3834
boxer rox
Registered Member

Wow, thats what I call a quick reply. Do you have any suggestions that might be a good fit. I would really like to add one more fish.

Unread 04/20/2011, 09:18 PM   #3835
Lynnmw1208
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response! I was planning on adding the wrasse, angel and tangs last in the tank to prevent any aggression. I am also planning on adding the jawfish before any other bottom dwellers to prevent territorial disputes.

what have you heard about the flame angel in regards to corals? are they pretty good with them? my plan is mainly LPS with a few SPS at the top

equipment: Eshopps psk-200 skimmer, Mag 12 pump, 30gal sump, 2x 300w Finnex heaters, glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit with 3/4" return kits, 72" 8x36w t-5 AquaticLife light, 66lbs of LR, 150lbs of tropic eden reeflakes, 2 Koralia Evo 1400, JBJ ATO, BRS dual GFO/carbon reactors, Hydor smartwave

Current Tank Info: 125gallon
Unread 04/20/2011, 09:23 PM   #3836
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer rox View Post
Wow, thats what I call a quick reply. Do you have any suggestions that might be a good fit. I would really like to add one more fish.
I try to respond quickly. But I do have a real life so sometimes there are gaps. Suggestions are difficult. I like gramma lorreto, for example, but there are so many more to choose from. Give me some idea of what you are thinking about and I can give you pros and cons.

Unread 04/20/2011, 09:25 PM   #3837
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmw1208 View Post
what have you heard about the flame angel in regards to corals? are they pretty good with them? my plan is mainly LPS with a few SPS at the top
All dwarf angels can go either way and meaty LPS are usually most likely to be punished. Depends on the fish and I know that is not what you wanted to hear. Sometimes they start well behaved and seem to have an overnight brain cramp where they go nuts and start eating animals you want to keep.

Unread 04/20/2011, 11:54 PM   #3838
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

Cool I think I have found the perfect solution!

2 ocellaris
1 flasher wrasse
1 black cap basslet
1 blue/green chromis
1 yellow citron goby

Unread 04/21/2011, 04:20 AM   #3839
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
2 ocellaris
1 flasher wrasse
1 black cap basslet
1 blue/green chromis
1 yellow citron goby
There are lots of solutions. Yours seems fine to me.

Unread 04/21/2011, 11:31 PM   #3840
Josh_Canada
Registered Member

well after a tour of 4 LFS; I believe i have come up with ANOTHER list .

2. occelaris
1. flasher/fairy(recommendations on anything small for a 50?)/sixline(would it work with a cleaner shrimp?)
1. black cap basslet
1. midas blenny or yellow watchman goby (your prefrence on which is more active?)
1. chromis

thanks alot!

Unread 04/22/2011, 05:07 AM   #3841
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
well after a tour of 4 LFS; I believe i have come up with ANOTHER list .

2. occelaris
1. flasher/fairy(recommendations on anything small for a 50?)/sixline(would it work with a cleaner shrimp?)
1. black cap basslet
1. midas blenny or yellow watchman goby (your prefrence on which is more active?)
1. chromis

thanks alot!
I would definitely not do a sixline wrasse, other than that you are fine. I would go with a watchman goby

Unread 04/23/2011, 09:37 AM   #3842
threephase37
Registered Member

intended purchase, getting close

Primarilly coral DT with all macro in fuge.

75 DT w/ 1" sb, 100# rock, 216w t-5 for now, 16g sump, 40g fuge w/ 2-25w 6500k cfl w/10# rock and ssb, oct. extreme 200 skimmer, 800gph Sicce return pump, 2- Sicce 4 1600gph powerheads altrenating intervals, RKL to control all, marin tropic bio actif salt, and extreme 3 ro/di.

Cuc in DT: 60 dwarf cerith, 25 florida cerith, 16 nassarius, 10 lg nerites and 10 sm nerites, 2x brittle star

In fuge: red gracilaira, chaeto, 5x mangroves, 7lbs LR, ssb (scared of dsb mishap and poison tank)

Cuc in fuge? take some from DT

Corals: 1x long tentacle anemone, 1x chalice, 2x zoa, 1x elegance, 1x green wall hammer, 1x orange ricordea, 5x pink and white coco worms, and 5x feather dusters
In future under led no more than 2x acropora

Fish: 1x ocellaris clown, 1x lawnmower blenny, 1x yellow or kole yellow eye tang, 1x black cap basslet, 1x red velvet wrasse, 1x firefish goby, and when well established 1x pshcedelic mandarin.

Importance of calcium reactor?
Suggetions?

Current Tank Info: 75g DT w/ 1" sb, 40g refugium w/ ssb and 2-6500k 25w cfl,16g sump, oct ex200 skimmer, typhoon extreme 3 ro/di, sicce 4 pump @ 800gph, 2-sicce voyager 4 powerheads @1600gph ea. alternating thru RKL, 216w t-5 for now LED to come.
Unread 04/23/2011, 10:25 AM   #3843
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threephase37 View Post
Primarilly coral DT with all macro in fuge.

75 DT w/ 1" sb, 100# rock, 216w t-5 for now, 16g sump, 40g fuge w/ 2-25w 6500k cfl w/10# rock and ssb, oct. extreme 200 skimmer, 800gph Sicce return pump, 2- Sicce 4 1600gph powerheads altrenating intervals, RKL to control all, marin tropic bio actif salt, and extreme 3 ro/di.

Cuc in DT: 60 dwarf cerith, 25 florida cerith, 16 nassarius, 10 lg nerites and 10 sm nerites, 2x brittle star

In fuge: red gracilaira, chaeto, 5x mangroves, 7lbs LR, ssb (scared of dsb mishap and poison tank)

I do not believe in sand in a refugium as it serves no real purpose

Cuc in fuge? take some from DT

No real need for clean up crew. I do put animals in mine but not to clean up. Some crabs

Corals: 1x long tentacle anemone, 1x chalice, 2x zoa, 1x elegance, 1x green wall hammer, 1x orange ricordea, 5x pink and white coco worms, and 5x feather dusters
In future under led no more than 2x acropora

Coco worms, while beautiful are difficult to maintain unless you are feeding them phytoplankton

Fish: 1x ocellaris clown, 1x lawnmower blenny, 1x yellow or kole yellow eye tang, 1x black cap basslet, 1x red velvet wrasse, 1x firefish goby, and when well established 1x pshcedelic mandarin.

I strongly prefer a kole or chevron tang over a yellow

Importance of calcium reactor?

Well, you can dose two part or use a calcium reactor or do frequent water changes. I prefer a calcium reactor or autodosing of two part
Suggetions?
Remember this is a fish thread, so you may wish to explore more compete answers on non-fish stuff in a separate thread.

Unread 04/23/2011, 12:10 PM   #3844
enjetek
Registered Member

great thread for all the new people. Please do listen to suggested tank sizes. I am in Hawaii right now and all those cute little fish sold at the stores get very very very big in the wild and you don't want your fish to catch you by surprise. Most of the butterflies, wrasses, eels, and tangs so far seen have been beautiful but very very very large. I'm starting to think my almost done cycling 240 will be too small lol

Unread 04/23/2011, 09:35 PM   #3845
Janh
Registered Member

36 gallon bowfront, 42lbs live rock, hob with purigen and prism protein skimmer. Probably going to add some more live rock.

Tank currently has two peppermint shrimp and 1 yellow tailed damsel, damsel is going back to the lfs if I can ever catch him. Do I really need two peppermint shrimp or would 1 be enough?

The fish I really like are the cardinal, firefish, clownfish, royal gamma, and sixline wrasse. Which of these can my tank house, which are compatible, and in which order would I add them? I am open to suggestions on other fish that may be more suitable than the ones I listed.

Also any suggestions on clean up crew would be great, the more I read the more confused I get. Should these be added before the fish or after, I get conflicting answers depending on what I read.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 04/24/2011, 04:54 AM   #3846
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janh View Post
36 gallon bowfront, 42lbs live rock, hob with purigen and prism protein skimmer. Probably going to add some more live rock.

Tank currently has two peppermint shrimp and 1 yellow tailed damsel, damsel is going back to the lfs if I can ever catch him.

You should not be cycling your tank with live fish; damsels are very aggressive and you need to remove him.

Do I really need two peppermint shrimp or would 1 be enough?

The fish I really like are the cardinal, firefish, clownfish, royal gamma, and sixline wrasse.

A sixline wrasse is very aggressive towards fish and inverts; I strongly recommend not putting this fish in your tank or you will be writing back for instructions to remove it. If you want a firefish, it should be first. If you put one clownfish you may be fine unless it is a maroun; if you put a pair they may take over your tank. Royal gramma is fine. Cardinalfish is fine.

Which of these can my tank house, which are compatible, and in which order would I add them? I am open to suggestions on other fish that may be more suitable than the ones I listed.

It is difficult to recommend since tastes are so different. But I would be happy to comment on possibles you select

Also any suggestions on clean up crew would be great, the more I read the more confused I get. Should these be added before the fish or after, I get conflicting answers depending on what I read.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 04/24/2011, 07:12 AM   #3847
Bachmfd650
Registered Member

30G FOWLR, HOB filter, protein skimmer..... 24 lbs LR

i plan on getting a CUC - a few turbo's, and a couple of skunk shrimp

as for fish,

i would love to have the black/white clown fish, but i dont want to drop the money on them right away...

so, 2- clown fish
and 1 Kaudern's Cardinal

Unread 04/24/2011, 07:36 AM   #3848
Janh
Registered Member

ok, so if I add a firefish, cardinal fish and clown fish in that order things should be ok? Can I add more than this to this size tank?

I did not cycle with the damsel, just got talked into it at the lfs, it is going back as soon as I can catch it, and nothing else will be added until it is gone.

Unread 04/24/2011, 07:47 AM   #3849
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachmfd650 View Post
30G FOWLR, HOB filter, protein skimmer..... 24 lbs LR

i plan on getting a CUC - a few turbo's, and a couple of skunk shrimp

as for fish,

i would love to have the black/white clown fish, but i dont want to drop the money on them right away...

so, 2- clown fish
and 1 Kaudern's Cardinal
Should be fine

Unread 04/24/2011, 07:49 AM   #3850
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janh View Post
ok, so if I add a firefish, cardinal fish and clown fish in that order things should be ok? Can I add more than this to this size tank?

Yes, you should be fine. You can add additional small fish (perhaps 2) but be sure that they are not fish that will intimidate your firefish (check back here)

I did not cycle with the damsel, just got talked into it at the lfs, it is going back as soon as I can catch it, and nothing else will be added until it is gone.

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish, reef fish