Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/20/2011, 02:10 PM   #4101
kbateman
Registered Member

Yellow Polyps

I just want a little more color to the tank. Right now I have a halfblack tang, blue emp angel, percula clown, pink tip anemone, cleaner & peppermint shrimp, wheeler & watchman goby.

Everyone gets along great, but now I want some polyps...suggestions?

Unread 05/20/2011, 04:06 PM   #4102
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbateman View Post
I just want a little more color to the tank. Right now I have a halfblack tang, blue emp angel, percula clown, pink tip anemone, cleaner & peppermint shrimp, wheeler & watchman goby.

Everyone gets along great, but now I want some polyps...suggestions?
Actually this is a fish selection thread and is focused on suitability to the aquarists environment and compatibility with other tank mates. And, of course, to do that I would need specifics about the aquarists tank, etc. As such I cannot really give an answer to your question. If you post this question in the general New to the Hobby Forum you should get a lot of answers.

Unread 05/20/2011, 04:34 PM   #4103
fishymann
Registered Member

I just spent close to an hour reading this WOW. all I have to say Snorvich is you are a fish god. I have a 55 gallon tank with roughly a 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Right now I have
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 dwarf flame angel
I know you do better with "is this fish okay to add" but maybe you can help me decide. I would love some other color in the tank, blue or green since I already have a bit of orange/yellow. I do plan to try to keep some softies with the flame angel, I know he might nip but I will see. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Unread 05/20/2011, 04:36 PM   #4104
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymann View Post
I just spent close to an hour reading this WOW. all I have to say Snorvich is you are a fish god. I have a 55 gallon tank with roughly a 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Right now I have
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 dwarf flame angel
I know you do better with "is this fish okay to add" but maybe you can help me decide. I would love some other color in the tank, blue or green since I already have a bit of orange/yellow. I do plan to try to keep some softies with the flame angel, I know he might nip but I will see. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the kind words! Well if color is your thing, I would look at a gramma loretto. Spectacular and will get along with what you have. I don't feel the flame angel will be a problem with softies, but it will if you add meaty LPS. Yes, I do prefer "is this fish okay to add" questions as our tastes are unlikely to be the same.

Unread 05/20/2011, 04:40 PM   #4105
fishymann
Registered Member

thank you, what about not going so much with a viarety in color. Could I get away with keeping a m/f pair of anthais? They look like beautiful fish but I seem to read that they need a m-f-f pairing to work well, I have a feeling 3 anthias would be pushing my stock. I guess i would like my tank to look "well filled" obviously not over stocked but at the same time not understocked.

Unread 05/20/2011, 04:50 PM   #4106
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
thank you, what about not going so much with a viarety in color. Could I get away with keeping a m/f pair of anthais? They look like beautiful fish but I seem to read that they need a m-f-f pairing to work well, I have a feeling 3 anthias would be pushing my stock. I guess i would like my tank to look "well filled" obviously not over stocked but at the same time not understocked.
You are marginal for anthias because they are very active fish and need swimming room and your tank is not all that large. You might get away with one, but the more spectacularly colored ones are more difficult in that they require multiple feedings per day.

Unread 05/20/2011, 08:18 PM   #4107
bd98072
Registered Member

I just found this thread a few weeks ago, and I'm really impressed with the information. I'm interested in stocking the "right" fish in my 5 month old 29 gal JBJ nanocube. I also have a 3 year old 6-gal biocube, and a really new 20 gal long. Based on what I've been reading, I moved my sixline wrasse out of the 29, and into the 6, which the sixline is now sharing with my 3 year old small yellow bodied coral banded shrimp.

The 29 gallon tank currently has:
Orange spot shrimp goby and tiger pistol shrimp.
2 small pajama cardinals.
bunch of assorted snails for CUC.

I have a pair of quite small onyx ocellaris currently in quarantine in the 20 gal, planning to move to the 29 in 4 more weeks.

I've been seeing interesting comments about Hector's Goby, and would like to add one to the 29.

Asking too many questions about too many tanks is not realistic, so I'm really just interested in a stocking plan for the 29.

Is this an accepotable plan for a 29, and is there still room available to add a firefish, or is this at the limit for the tank.

The 29 has a small skimmer, and will soon have a DIY HOB refugium.

I'm also converting all the tanks to LED, and building DIY controllers for them.

And, yes, I am pretty darn new to this hobby.

BioCube 8, JBJ NanoCube 28 CF
Unread 05/20/2011, 09:14 PM   #4108
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd98072 View Post
I just found this thread a few weeks ago, and I'm really impressed with the information. I'm interested in stocking the "right" fish in my 5 month old 29 gal JBJ nanocube. I also have a 3 year old 6-gal biocube, and a really new 20 gal long. Based on what I've been reading, I moved my sixline wrasse out of the 29, and into the 6, which the sixline is now sharing with my 3 year old small yellow bodied coral banded shrimp.

The 29 gallon tank currently has:
Orange spot shrimp goby and tiger pistol shrimp.
2 small pajama cardinals.
bunch of assorted snails for CUC.

I have a pair of quite small onyx ocellaris currently in quarantine in the 20 gal, planning to move to the 29 in 4 more weeks.

I've been seeing interesting comments about Hector's Goby, and would like to add one to the 29.

Asking too many questions about too many tanks is not realistic, so I'm really just interested in a stocking plan for the 29.

Is this an accepotable plan for a 29, and is there still room available to add a firefish, or is this at the limit for the tank.

The 29 has a small skimmer, and will soon have a DIY HOB refugium.

I'm also converting all the tanks to LED, and building DIY controllers for them.

And, yes, I am pretty darn new to this hobby.
Glad to help. Your clownfish pair, once sexually mature, will want to control about 25-30 gallons of space. As such adding a firefish will not work as the clowns will be aggressive and the firefish will be intimidated and hide and stop eating.

Hector's Goby, also known as Hector's Hover Goby, has a bluish-black body with bright yellow horizontal stripes and a false eyespot on the dorsal fin.

A 10 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of hiding places is suitable for this fish. It can be included in a reef aquarium and the fish will sift the sand as well as graze on hair algae. It is non-aggressive towards other fish and will not bother invertebrates in the tank.

Hector's Goby is easy to feed and its diet consists of most marine foods. It consumes large amounts of algae, worms, and prepared foods such as vitamin enriched mysis shrimp and brine shrimp.

This fish would coexist with your other inhabitants.

But on a less than happy note, coral banded shrimp have been known to take fish.

Unread 05/20/2011, 10:17 PM   #4109
fishymann
Registered Member

alright, hopefully this will be it from me haha, hope im not a bother.
So with the 2 clowns and the dwarf flame angel what bout this
3-4 orange line chromis (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...30&pcatid=1430)
1 Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse since the anthais are better with being fed multiple times a day while they are beautiful I think it would be better not to get them and stress them with less feedings

Unread 05/20/2011, 11:04 PM   #4110
nate82
Registered Member

Hey snorvich thank you for your knowledge. I've been thinking the past couple days and think I've settled on this or something similar for my 45g cube display. I know it's a lot but most are rather small fish and my skimmer ATS can handle the bioload.

Pair of yellow banded pipefish (Are they easy to pair?)
M/F Pair of Banggai Cardinals
Yellow Stripe Clingfish
Bluespot Jawfish
Yasha Haze Goby
Tailspot Blenny
Black cap basslet

I plan on having a 2-3 anenome and porcelain crabs, a cleaner shrimp, a shrimp to pair with the yasha, bunch of different snails, and maybe a Crinoid Squat Lobster (Allogalathea elegans)

As always thank you.

Current Tank Info: 45g cube in the works. With 15g sump, 10g fuge, DIY LEDs. and more
Unread 05/21/2011, 04:31 AM   #4111
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
alright, hopefully this will be it from me haha, hope im not a bother.
So with the 2 clowns and the dwarf flame angel what bout this
3-4 orange line chromis (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...30&pcatid=1430)
1 Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse since the anthais are better with being fed multiple times a day while they are beautiful I think it would be better not to get them and stress them with less feedings
Chromis, especially in your sized tank will winnow themselves down to one; that is just the way they are. A fairy wrasse might be ok in your tank.

Unread 05/21/2011, 04:37 AM   #4112
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate82 View Post
Hey snorvich thank you for your knowledge. I've been thinking the past couple days and think I've settled on this or something similar for my 45g cube display. I know it's a lot but most are rather small fish and my skimmer ATS can handle the bioload.

Pair of yellow banded pipefish (Are they easy to pair?) Pipefish are difficult fish but will coexist in multiples
M/F Pair of Banggai Cardinals MUST be M/F
Yellow Stripe Clingfish
Bluespot Jawfish Requires cooler water, and is a prolific jumper
Yasha Haze Goby Maybe be eaten by a Bluespot Jawfish
Tailspot Blenny
Black cap basslet

I plan on having a 2-3 anenome and porcelain crabs, a cleaner shrimp, a shrimp to pair with the yasha, bunch of different snails, and maybe a Crinoid Squat Lobster (Allogalathea elegans)

Your tank will not sustain multiple anemones and depending on your lights may not sustain any. But this thread is about fish

As always thank you.

Unread 05/21/2011, 03:13 PM   #4113
Goby_man
Registered Member

Hi, I have the following set up:
37 gallon with Live rock and soft corals
Livestock: 2 false percula clowns, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, flame scallop,
emerald crab, a few snails and hermits.
I'd like to add only one more fish~ debating between a coral beauty and a six line wrasse

Unread 05/21/2011, 04:16 PM   #4114
YiatzOfEden
Registered Member

Hoping you can help me as I've gone through quite a lot of changes in the hobby since I started in January..

I have a 90 reef with LPS and polyps mostly, and a few odds and ends though no sps. I have harlequin and scarlet cleaner shrimp pairs, a tiny emerald, and tons of tiny snails reproducing in my tank. That said I'm looking for more fish that would be safe for my inverts and their tiny offspring. I recently had a peaceful six line and a tiny scooter die to an unfortunate crash and I would like to get some more life in my tank.

Current fish: B&W occ/picasso clown pair, and a female lawnmower blenny I plan on getting a male for possibly this evening or in the near future.

Possible ideas: Flasher wrasse, flame angel or other dwarfs, possibly butterflies/bannerfish or a tang(?) and also open to any other suggestions.

I greatly enjoy pairs and would attempt to keep my fish as such. And I've found that my husband and I are getting away from fish that are more commonly kept (like "Dori") as I worked in an LFS and saw things everyday that before I would have had more interest in, but now I find I'm more picky. Halp?

I also have a baby volitan lionfish (separate tank)that I am currently looking for "packmates" for. I understand this is a fish thread, but any potential thoughts on a cuc for them? Thinking of large conch and urchins as possibilities. Their very large tank will be NPS dominated.

Thanks for any input.

Unread 05/21/2011, 05:49 PM   #4115
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goby_man View Post
Hi, I have the following set up:
37 gallon with Live rock and soft corals
Livestock: 2 false percula clowns, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, flame scallop,
emerald crab, a few snails and hermits.
I'd like to add only one more fish~ debating between a coral beauty and a six line wrasse
A dwarf angel be it Coral Beauty or Flame Angel would be great with that combination. Six line wrasses are normally trouble in the longer run (and sometimes before that)

Unread 05/21/2011, 05:57 PM   #4116
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiatzOfEden View Post
Hoping you can help me as I've gone through quite a lot of changes in the hobby since I started in January..

I have a 90 reef with LPS and polyps mostly, and a few odds and ends though no sps. I have harlequin and scarlet cleaner shrimp pairs, a tiny emerald, and tons of tiny snails reproducing in my tank. That said I'm looking for more fish that would be safe for my inverts and their tiny offspring. I recently had a peaceful six line and a tiny scooter die to an unfortunate crash and I would like to get some more life in my tank.

I would suggest not repeating the six line wrasse as it limits your options going forward

Current fish: B&W occ/picasso clown pair, and a female lawnmower blenny I plan on getting a male for possibly this evening or in the near future.

I also like pairs; mating behavior is fascinating.

Possible ideas: Flasher wrasse, flame angel or other dwarfs, possibly butterflies/bannerfish or a tang(?) and also open to any other suggestions.

Well given your coral preferences, I would suggest a harem (M + F + F) flasher wrasse but the only butterfly I can recommend would grow too large for your tank although you might consider one yellow pyramid butterfly which will be marginally ok size wise

I greatly enjoy pairs and would attempt to keep my fish as such. And I've found that my husband and I are getting away from fish that are more commonly kept (like "Dori") as I worked in an LFS and saw things everyday that before I would have had more interest in, but now I find I'm more picky. Halp?

Actually I commend you on your picky behavior as I am of a similar thought.

I also have a baby volitan lionfish (separate tank)that I am currently looking for "packmates" for. I understand this is a fish thread, but any potential thoughts on a cuc for them? Thinking of large conch and urchins as possibilities. Their very large tank will be NPS dominated.

NPS is difficult because you have to feed constantly since you will get no nutritive value for your lights. BUT those corals are awesome (I am a diver/photographer)) and a volitan with them will be gorgeous

I tend towards a slight different flavor of cleanup crew assuming you have compatible tank mates. I have various shrimp but no fish that will eat them including alpheus soror mated pair of pistol shrimp, mated pairs of different kinds of cleaner shrimp, fighting conch, etc. But again, this is a fish thread and I don't want to go too far afield

Thanks for any input.
You are most welcome, hope this was helpful

Unread 05/21/2011, 09:52 PM   #4117
Goby_man
Registered Member

Thanks,
I had heard mixed things on the six lines. This site really has some great information, by knowledgeable people. The owner of my LFS actually recommended me to this site last year, glad she did.

Unread 05/22/2011, 04:06 AM   #4118
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goby_man View Post
Thanks,
I had heard mixed things on the six lines. This site really has some great information, by knowledgeable people. The owner of my LFS actually recommended me to this site last year, glad she did.
You are most welcome. RC has a lot of very knowledgeable people who will give you advice with no "agenda". Keep reading and check back any time.

Unread 05/23/2011, 02:13 PM   #4119
thebkramer
Registered Member

Hiya !! posted here quite a few times! between you, capn & others.. this was the best thread idea ever!! (well one of the best!! lol) So glad it finally became a sticky!!!

anywhooo!!
I've been doing some research on Scooter Dragonets.. would love to add one to my community.. just haven't found enough info out there to make a sound decision.
Are the scooters alot like the beautiful mandarins?? will I run into issues of them starving?? and what about a scooter with my current fish list (see below)?? are the on the easier side or harder side with caretaking??

Thanks for any insight you can give!!!

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
Unread 05/23/2011, 04:38 PM   #4120
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebkramer View Post
I've been doing some research on Scooter Dragonets.. would love to add one to my community.. just haven't found enough info out there to make a sound decision.
Are the scooters alot like the beautiful mandarins?? will I run into issues of them starving?? and what about a scooter with my current fish list (see below)?? are the on the easier side or harder side with caretaking??

Thanks for any insight you can give!!!
They are similar to mandarins being a first cousin, but are more likely to scrounge left over food from the bottom. Generally will do better in a larger tank than yours but your inhabitants will not give it aggression problems.

Unread 05/23/2011, 07:43 PM   #4121
Reefer Sane
Registered Member

Hi, I've got a 14g BC with 14lbs LR, frogspawn and hammer head corals, a clown fish and a CUC of snails and scarlet hermit crabs. Tank is about 6 weeks old. I'm trying to talk myself into adding a store raised mandarin that will accept food since I can't possibly stock my tank with enough copods. Any hope? If not, how would another clown play together with the first? Right now its a small one and only been in the tank for a couple weeks. Can I match the run of the mill clown I have now with a black clown? Will they play along? Suggestions for another fish I could keep? Thank you!!!

Unread 05/23/2011, 08:01 PM   #4122
Ahlberg
Registered Member

Pretty new, live about a 100 yards from an LFS so I finally took the plunge into salt water. Had grown up with and done many a fresh water and felt ready for the new challenge. Lovin' it so far....So...

Q: Longnose hawkfish too aggressive for a small reef tank (with no coral yet, down the road)?

29 G Biocube, 25lbs live rock.

2 Occ clowns
1 Algae eating blennie
1 emerald crab
2 scarlet hermits
2 dwarf red hermits
1 electric blue hermit
2 astria snails
2 margarita snails
1 mexican turbo
1 small black turbo
3 nassarius
2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

Unread 05/23/2011, 08:29 PM   #4123
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Sane View Post
Hi, I've got a 14g BC with 14lbs LR, frogspawn and hammer head corals, a clown fish and a CUC of snails and scarlet hermit crabs. Tank is about 6 weeks old. I'm trying to talk myself into adding a store raised mandarin that will accept food since I can't possibly stock my tank with enough copods. Any hope? If not, how would another clown play together with the first? Right now its a small one and only been in the tank for a couple weeks. Can I match the run of the mill clown I have now with a black clown? Will they play along? Suggestions for another fish I could keep? Thank you!!!
Unfortunately a mandarin will have no chance even if it is eating prepared food (in that sized tank). A second clown of the same species and small should mature into a pair. Your tank is semi-marginal for a pair of clowns but you should be ok.

Unread 05/23/2011, 08:31 PM   #4124
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahlberg View Post
Pretty new, live about a 100 yards from an LFS so I finally took the plunge into salt water. Had grown up with and done many a fresh water and felt ready for the new challenge. Lovin' it so far....So...

Q: Longnose hawkfish too aggressive for a small reef tank (with no coral yet, down the road)?

29 G Biocube, 25lbs live rock.

2 Occ clowns
1 Algae eating blennie
1 emerald crab
2 scarlet hermits
2 dwarf red hermits
1 electric blue hermit
2 astria snails
2 margarita snails
1 mexican turbo
1 small black turbo
3 nassarius
2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
A long nosed hawkfish is a fascinating fish with lots of personality. However, as an ambush predator, your shrimp will be at risk. A red flame hawkfish: similar personality, same risk with shrimp.

Unread 05/24/2011, 10:24 AM   #4125
Ahlberg
Registered Member

Thanks Snorvich, I had a feeling that might be an issue. Thanks again for the info!

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish, reef fish