Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2017, 08:13 PM   #2551
SorsCode
Registered Member

d0ughb0y -

I got to see total darkness. It was awesome!

FYI, I've been doing a lot of projects lately with MQTT. That might be the key for your Cloud service setup.

SorsCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 05:56 PM   #2552
Zephrant
Premium Member

So Alexia compatible smart plugs are down to $15 each, and are fully app and cloud enabled: https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Work-Ale.../dp/B075WPMB27

I've got four of them running now, and have only had one failure in several months. (Outlet was on, but pushing the button on the device did nothing, had to reboot it).

Anyone know what they use inside of them? I'm thinking that if they can do full app/cloud integration for $15, then it should be possible to do something similar for a controller, or at least piggyback on the cloud infrastructure for simple lights on/off type commands.

Mine uses the Smart Life app, which has several dozen choices when I go to add a device, including "other".

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:21 PM   #2553
SorsCode
Registered Member

You can get a lot of cloud outlet controllers that already have ESP8266 inside. I have a few that I have hacked/put new firmware on, and connected them directly to my MQTT server.

Unread 12/21/2017, 09:57 AM   #2554
ronnyking
Registered Member

I'm having trouble with the ultrasonic sensor. Maybe I wired it incorrectly. Is is needed to connect the trigger with 5V in over a 3.3k Ohm resistor? I may have read the shematic wrong.

ronnyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 10:05 AM   #2555
SorsCode
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyking View Post
I'm having trouble with the ultrasonic sensor. Maybe I wired it incorrectly. Is is needed to connect the trigger with 5V in over a 3.3k Ohm resistor? I may have read the shematic wrong.
There is no resistor. What you are seeing is the resistor for the Temp Sensor. In the diagram the line is actually going over the connection for "Sonar Trigger". A "DOT" would be there if it was connected.

Unread 12/21/2017, 10:10 AM   #2556
ronnyking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorsCode View Post
There is no resistor. What you are seeing is the resistor for the Temp Sensor. In the diagram the line is actually going over the connection for "Sonar Trigger". A "DOT" would be there if it was connected.
Okay, then my sensor is probably faulty. Thank you for your quick reply.

Unread 12/21/2017, 03:23 PM   #2557
tony85lamb
Registered Member

How would I go about using a wifi shield rather then a ethernet shield please

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

tony85lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 09:11 AM   #2558
ronnyking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
You can still add it. You can look at the pwm fan code for counting pulses.
Ok, I'm thinking of adding a new sensor type and use the same routines as for the other sensors. I'm pretty sure I can get the programming right in the arduino code.
in sensor.h:

Quote:
class Sensor {
public:
enum SensorType {_ph,_orp,_cond,_flow};
And then use 4 different _flow sensors with individual names in config.h
etc.

However, I don't think I will be able to find the html code to add to the htm file to make sure the values are printed on the webpage under the sensor part.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Unread 12/24/2017, 08:23 AM   #2559
ronnyking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyking View Post
Ok, I'm thinking of adding a new sensor type and use the same routines as for the other sensors. I'm pretty sure I can get the programming right in the arduino code.
in sensor.h:

And then use 4 different _flow sensors with individual names in config.h
etc.

However, I don't think I will be able to find the html code to add to the htm file to make sure the values are printed on the webpage under the sensor part.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

thanks!
Scratch that... I'll add the flow sensors in the pwmfans.ino file, since the rpm measurement is almost the same as flow measurement.

Any thoughts on how to add more "fans" with only the rpm (/flow) showing on the web page? I would like to name them aswell (flow return, flow reactor 1, flow reactor 2, flow cooler).

It would be nice if I could add a expandable part "flow sensors" to the webpage, but I would already be happy if it showed on the pwmfans part.

Unread 12/26/2017, 05:44 AM   #2560
ronnyking
Registered Member

A quick question about the tacho pin for fan rpm measurement. Is it connected directly to the arduino pin? When I was testing with directly connected to arduino, I got a decent reading for 100% speed but when I lowered the pwm, I got the maximum speed regardless of my pwm setting...

Unread 12/31/2017, 02:04 PM   #2561
tony85lamb
Registered Member

I dont have the ds1307, I have ds1302 is there anyway this can be used instead or must it be the ds1307 please

Unread 01/03/2018, 02:44 PM   #2562
mpots
Registered Member

ronnyking --
Yep, the fan tach is connected directly to the arduino pin. I've had that same issue at times, for me it was incorrect wiring... I had a flipped +12v and PWM signal once, had the PWM flipped with the TACH another time.

I'd suggest getting out a multimeter and testing each of the four pins as you go from 0% to 50% to 100% on the fans. That was the cleanest way of identifying which pin was which -- if you have the ground pin connected to the multimeter ground, you should see 0V across the +12v pin at 0% speed and 12v at both 50% and 100% speed... whereas the voltage across the PWM pin should increase as you ramp up fan speed.
I can commiserate though, for whatever reason the fan circuits and wiring have given me a lot of trouble, often because a pin gets swapped somewhere and then I have to trace it back to where I went wrong.

mpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 02:57 PM   #2563
mpots
Registered Member

I've been seeing intermittent bad pH readings a couple of times each day. I'll get a log value of -1, those values show up on the graphs too and I've seen them appear when watching the scrolling readings on the LCD. I'm a bit stumped on how to proceed.

I've swapped the EZO pH stamp and the carrier and the issue persists. I tested it on a second bench setup and the issue persists as well. I have two EZO stamps -- COND and pH -- and they're both connected via I2C since I wasn't able to get a connection using serial.

Haven't yet bought a new pH probe, but thinking that may be the next step... Might try to get the serial mode working, but I don't know if that could cause this issue.

Anyone else experience a similar problem?

mpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 07:28 PM   #2564
tony85lamb
Registered Member

Has any has this error the file does exist as I put the libraries in the libraries folder as told to on the instructions

Unread 01/06/2018, 06:21 PM   #2565
tony85lamb
Registered Member

I managed to get that all sorted but the problem is now that I have tried 5 different ethernet shields and I've had no luck in any of them connecting to the Internet. Does anybody have an idea why this is or how to solve it. I've checked all the files and they were all pre edited??

Unread 01/07/2018, 04:05 AM   #2566
teslo
Registered Member

'tony85lamb'

I guess it is not problem in Ethernet shield but in installation and configuration of your Arduino environment. On your previous screenshot it is visible as compile does not find all required libraries so also code is not compiled in right way!
First fix that so open instruction and go step by step to set-up everything according to instructions and then code compilation should be done without errors.
Then check your devices and settings update files and then try again!

teslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 07:09 AM   #2567
tony85lamb
Registered Member

Yea I got past that error forgot to put the libraries in the correct folder. It was only after the upload I found out that they refused to connect to the Internet. I followed the instructions to the letter but have had no luck

Unread 01/07/2018, 10:40 AM   #2568
teslo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony85lamb View Post
I followed the instructions to the letter but have had no luck
So where exactely is problem now? Software compile your sketch withouth any warning and errors or not?

Unread 01/07/2018, 11:23 AM   #2569
tony85lamb
Registered Member

There are no errors compiles error free. I think it's software side as all the sheds I've tried work with the example Web server. But with the neptune server I'm getting nothing even the router is not showing the wired connection when running neptune so for some reason it's unable to connect running the software

Unread 01/07/2018, 11:34 AM   #2570
teslo
Registered Member

Quote:
But with the neptune server I'm getting nothing even the router is not showing the wired connection when running neptune so for some reason it's unable to connect running the software
If software is compiled OK then you are progressing!

Did you format SD card as it should be and place all required files on it?
You hear any beebs after reset controller?
Did you check what you get on serial line after reset?

Last edited by teslo; 01/07/2018 at 11:40 AM.
Unread 01/07/2018, 12:03 PM   #2571
tony85lamb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teslo View Post
If software is compiled OK then you are progressing!

Did you format SD card as it should be and place all required files on it?
You hear any beebs after reset controller?
Did you check what you get on serial line after reset?
Yea I formated the sd card to fat32, put both the index files on the sd card. No information is shown in the serial monitor it's just blank

Unread 01/07/2018, 12:24 PM   #2572
tony85lamb
Registered Member

I'm not getting any beeps on reset

Unread 01/10/2018, 04:38 PM   #2573
tony85lamb
Registered Member

I have now worked out what's going on I have a dodgy ph stamp and waiting for it to come through in the post. What is that I comment out exactly for temp and ph as I've gone by what was said in a previous post. I've tried following it but I'm getting a lot of java script errors and I'm being made to edit other parts of the code as it won't let me compile until I put something. If there is anyone that has done this before please can you help me with the exact process please

Unread 01/14/2018, 10:52 AM   #2574
tony85lamb
Registered Member

Can someone send me a copy of there files at all please as I'm going wrong somewhere.

Unread 01/18/2018, 07:48 AM   #2575
teslo
Registered Member

Quote:
Can someone send me a copy of there files at all please as I'm going wrong somewhere.

Have you check you gmail? I already send you short instuctions with all required files. Download and try. Should work.