Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2009, 09:14 AM   #1
in_focus
Registered Member

automatic water changer ato

Hello all just signed up today but been surfing this site for a couple of years now. I want to automate my 375 tank since i work out of town 2-3 weeks a month i want a automatic water changes and a good ato plus moisture sensors if something starts to leak has happened. i have a ac 3 pro now but was looking for something more to take my tank to the next level. I ran across this controller www.makoproseries.com was wondering if any 1 uses it. Any other ideas would be great

in_focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2009, 08:28 PM   #2
bdunla1
Registered Member

I don't know too much about this, but I did find this thread the other day... Glassreef found some equipment from ebay that allowed him to do auto water changes. Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but thought I would at least give you a place to start.
\http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&pagenumber=40

bdunla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2009, 09:48 PM   #3
sedor
Registered Member

Wow I admire your ability to be away from the tank so often without worrying constantly. I don't know anything about moisture sensors but your first step is going to have to be connecting your RODI unit into your homes water system and then setting up a valve to fill your water storage when it becomes about half empty and shut off when its full.

You don't want to connect your RO directly to your sump as an ATO because they don't work when they are constantly running for little spurts of water here and there, they need to be run consistently for hours at a time.

Unread 08/16/2009, 07:41 AM   #4
in_focus
Registered Member

Hello all thanks for the replys yes being away from home alot does have its challenges on trying to keep a reef tank. Thats were friends and family come into play on feeding and keeping up with filling top off tank and keeping front glass clean. That is why i need to automate my tank as much as i can and insure that nothing happens. Right now i have a 25 gallon holding tank that needs to be filled manually every week then i top off from thereI will try to contact mako pro series monday and see if they can help on water changes and leak detection and pump protection had 1 suck some snails in and chewed up the pump. what little information there is about there system sounds like it may work for my needs will keep everyone up to date on the automation.

Unread 08/16/2009, 07:52 AM   #5
GlassReef
Got Reef

Here's the description of my automated water change system that bdunla1 was referring to: Continuos Water Change

Look about halfway down the page.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2009, 08:13 AM   #6
in_focus
Registered Member

I have been looking at that system but can not find any info on how much they pump per hour?

Unread 08/16/2009, 08:27 AM   #7
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by in_focus
I have been looking at that system but can not find any info on how much they pump per hour?
You can't really look at the LiterMeter III from the X amount per hour standpoint. The LM-III accepts your input for an amount you want to dose in a 24 hour period, let's say 225mL. It then automatically doses the amount during 150 equal dosing sessions, spread over 24 hours. In our example 1.5mL, per session.

I believe the least amount dosable in 24 hours is 50mL.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Doahh
Registered Member

For around $400 I'd rather but a Litermiter, Dual Head Peristaltic pump, or a Profilux stand alone doser and do continuous water changes that way...

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Custom SW Reef
Doahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 08:08 PM   #9
in_focus
Registered Member

I talked with the company and they are still working on the website but got alot of information from them on there controller it sounds exactly what i have been looking for it has dual top offs so i can connect my ro/di to a storage container and use top off #1 then pump from that container to my sump with top off#2 then it does manuel and automatic water changes and i can use a temperture probe on water change container from my ac 3 pro to make sure it is up to temp or salinty before a water change. and then has moisture sensors and even can connect to my a/c 3 pro controller for emails they also have a phone dailer. eveen has a kalk stirer timer to stir kalk and let it settle before topping off also interested in the kalkwasser bypass if ph is to high bypasses kalkwasser looks like a winner for me. I have a friend with a litermeter water changer and after talking with him and the way it works you really have to watch your salinty because the top off that he use`s is seperate and pumps water in the same time and his salinty drops in a week if not watched this system has more to offer for me.

Last edited by in_focus; 08/19/2009 at 08:26 PM.