Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2009, 01:17 PM   #1
ericdamangus
Registered Member

Angry Dictoya Algae

I've looked all over reef central and searched forums for an answer to my Dictoya Algae problem. I have 100% id'd it as Dictoya and am looking for a solution whether its adding a refuge with macro, adding an invert/fish, manual removal techniques, or even phosphate/carbon reactors for my 54 g RR corner with 10g sump in cabinet. I've gone through as much already as manual removal by hand, bought new actinics and halide for my fixture, 15g water changes ever 2 weeks. I just don't know what to do next.

This algae sucksssss!

ericdamangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 01:26 PM   #2
lilalove
Registered Member

I have the same problem. From what I've gathered, this is one of the few algaes that will grow regardless of nutrient levels. Manual removal just leads to the fronds detaching and growing elsewhere, perpetuating the problem. I have a fuge and it doesn't help. I would take out the affected rocks and scrub them in a separate container, but unless you get ALL of it (which is hard because it attaches to crevices in the rock) it will just regrow. I added a rabbitfish and he is eating it, but he's also eating my zoas and knocking over coral. I am going to pull him tomorrow and just resign myself to defeat. Sorry I couldn't be much help, but like MJ said...."You are not alone". My urchin doesn't touch the stuff either.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here's a tip: why not add
a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness? - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump and refugium
lilalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 01:35 PM   #3
ericdamangus
Registered Member

not sounding good... Have you tried like 24 or 48 hours without lights? I'm getting desperate. It climbed up the side of my dendro and ate away half of its fleshy skeleton! What other option do we have, Buy all new rocks?

Unread 07/09/2009, 02:27 PM   #4
gillies
Registered Member

I'll probably get flamed for this but... Remove the affected rock and do a freshwater scrub in the kitchen sink. It'll kill what's on the rock, but not the bacteria in it. 2cents.

gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Elysia
Registered Member

Try searching "DictYOTA" algae and see if you are able to find the answer to your questions that way. It may help.

Elysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 03:06 PM   #6
tatoofr
Registered Member

I had it years ago in my first reef, I know it loves iodine and needs it to survive,
So if your adding it stop.
Hope this helps,
Frank

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
tatoofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 03:43 PM   #7
lilalove
Registered Member

I did scrub my rock in fresh water. It kept it away for a while, but it's back now. lol That's probably because it's also on rocks that I can't take out, it spreads like wildfire. I read the same thing about iodine, though I personally have never dosed it. I also tried lights out....nothing. I just brush it off with a soft toothbrush when it starts growing on a coral. Continue to manually remove and just be very careful when a piece breaks off. Wish me luck catching that rabbit tomorrow.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here's a tip: why not add
a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness? - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump and refugium
lilalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 04:07 PM   #8
rendogg
Registered Member

What kind of Rabbit do you have? I have had excellent results with the Double Barred and Coral Rabbitfish. I had Dictyota like crazy, added those two, and within a couple weeks I couldn't see any left. No Dichtyota, besides my overflows, for well over a year. Oh yeah, I'm so confident in those two that, sometimes i'll feed them the stuff from my overflows.

rendogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 04:40 PM   #9
ericdamangus
Registered Member

So the consensus is to either buy a rabbitfish, and risk my corals. Or take each individual rock out and scrub it in fresh water the best I can?

Any advice on the fresh water scrub?

Unread 07/09/2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Agu
Registered Member

Had dictyota in a 180 years ago and tried almost everything. Finally got a blond naso tang and it was gone within a couple of weeks. I was fortunate that my tank was big enough for this fish and only had a yellow tang in residence.

So, upgrade to a 180 and get a naso tang is my recommendation .

BTW, cleaning the rock didn't work either.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Logzor
Registered Member

Please try a search in the macroalgae forum. I believe I had a pretty well documented thread on this algae and how to eliminate it.

In short: Reduce feedings to every other day, dry pellets only. Buy a two-barred rabbitfish (this may work in your 54g tank - a Naso WILL NOT).

Dose MARINE ALGAEFIX (follow the directions and read the thread in the reef chemistry forum).

This triple combo worked pretty well for me. Make sure your system is healthy though.

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2009, 09:01 AM   #12
ericdamangus
Registered Member

Okay, I've read around and found that 99% of people with this problem bought a rabbitfish and were successful with them eating the dictoya and nearly eliminating it from their tanks.

Does anybody have any advice on a type for my 54g corner tank? I have a 6line, tomini tang and ocellaris clown currently.

Ideally i would like a small orange spotted rabbitfish, but I never want to jeopardize a fishes health by putting it into too small of a tank.

Unread 07/10/2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Logzor
Registered Member

The Tomini and the rabbit will be in fierce competition. After a week they will cool down.

If you get a smaller one I think you would be safe. Make sure you get the correct species though. I have siganus virgatus (two-barred rabbitfish).

Unread 07/13/2009, 08:30 AM   #14
ericdamangus
Registered Member

It absolutely has to be a siganus virgatus (two-barred rabbitfish)? My LFS has an orange spotted rabbitfish and hes only asking 65 for a 3". Has anybody see an orange spotted eat dictoya? I'd much rather have the orange spotted because it will now be the show fish in my tank and personally, i think the two-barred isn't the most attractive fish.

Unread 07/13/2009, 08:51 AM   #15
rendogg
Registered Member

Siganus virgatus is the one that worked for me too, we still haven't heard back from the person who's rabbit ate their coral..... maybe an Orange Spot (S. guttatus).lol
S. virgatus, along with the rest of the rabbits, will outgrow your tank eventually.

Unread 07/13/2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Logzor
Registered Member

I have had my rabbit for awhile. I do not think he has grown much at all.

I am not sure if it has to be the two-barred. It has worked for me and many others, though. In person this fish is very attractive.

Keep in mind they will nip on the tips of some sps corals. If fed well this is not a problem.

Unread 07/13/2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Jerm77
Registered Member

i also have a problem with dictyota.

Dictyota is highly noxious and most algae eating species can not digest it easily or properly.

I run GFO and Carbon dose Vodka. P04 not detectable.

I have tried:
- manual removal - works, but the algae breaks and spreads easily.
- 3 days lights out - no effect.
- 2 sea hares - didn't eat it
- algae blenny - ate it, but didn't survive.
- Naso , Blond Naso, and Powder Brown
powder bown has been in the tank for six months and he eats it on occasion. once the naso and blond naso were put in the tank, the powder brown wouldn't give them an inch and was constantly attacking them. the Blond Naso has been hidden for about a week, the Naso stays in the corner of the tank but he has eaten quite a bit of the dictyota so far.

I have read Black long spine Urchins, mithrax crabs, and two barred rabbit fish can also work against this algae.

Jerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Opes
Registered Member

I have this algae in my low nutrient SPS system as well. It is a nightmare. I have been battling it for months with no success. I have tried a Rabbitfish, emerald crabs, long spine urchin, manual removal, skipping fish feedings and heavy skimming, GFO, and Carbon. All of these things have been done at the same ime with horrible results. The algae just coninues to spread.

I have never seen anything like it. I am about to tear down my tank it is making me so mad.

Opes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2009, 07:25 PM   #19
Logzor
Registered Member

This algae is nearly impossible to eradicate. I have battled it for almost two years now.

You need:

1. Two-Barred Rabbitfish - This fish is a must
2. Reduce feeding dramatically
3. Dosing ALGAEFIXmarine
4. Dosing a carbo source may be helpful but make sure you know what you are doing (optional)

Of course, lots of water changes and a good skimmer is an absolute must. It takes around two months of dosing algaefix to see a major difference.

Using this combo I was able to keep off most of the algae to where it is no longer a problem.

The missing piece for most of you is the algaefix marine.

Unread 07/13/2009, 08:23 PM   #20
Saldarya
Moved On

Varigatus Rabbitfish also worked for me. Took him a few weeks to clear it out from plauge proportions. I used nothing else, just the fish.

HTH

Saldarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2009, 06:52 AM   #21
ericdamangus
Registered Member

Quote:
This algae is nearly impossible to eradicate. I have battled it for almost two years now.

Logzor,

So you think this will be an ongoing process? I'm more concerned with dosing algaefix on and off. Did u ever completely remove this algae from your tank?

Thanks for everybodies help.

Unread 07/14/2009, 09:53 AM   #22
rendogg
Registered Member

Yeah, I definitely would not add algaefix into my tank, it sounds like he did about as well as those of us who just added a double barred rabbit. If you're still battling it 2 years later, the algaefix isn't the magical cure.JMO.

Unread 07/14/2009, 10:47 AM   #23
ericdamangus
Registered Member

I just found something interesting, from a diver in florida. He said he sees this stuff around occasionally during the fall/winter but when summer comes and the water heats up it takes over alot of the reefs in that part. His personal opinion was to use a spotted sea hare as a temporary clean up and reduce the temp in my tank. Currently my water temp is about 80 degrees and fluctuates as high as 82-84 on the hottest dog days of the summer. I'm going to try to run my MH only 6 hours and reduce temp to about 75-76 range. Lets see if i can put a hurtin to this s**t!!!

Unread 07/14/2009, 11:20 AM   #24
rendogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ericdamangus
I just found something interesting, from a diver in florida. He said he sees this stuff around occasionally during the fall/winter but when summer comes and the water heats up it takes over alot of the reefs in that part. His personal opinion was to use a spotted sea hare as a temporary clean up and reduce the temp in my tank. Currently my water temp is about 80 degrees and fluctuates as high as 82-84 on the hottest dog days of the summer. I'm going to try to run my MH only 6 hours and reduce temp to about 75-76 range. Lets see if i can put a hurtin to this s**t!!!
Sounds interesting, keep us posted, don't let it beat you down you can win the war.

Unread 07/14/2009, 11:49 AM   #25
Logzor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rendogg
Yeah, I definitely would not add algaefix into my tank, it sounds like he did about as well as those of us who just added a double barred rabbit. If you're still battling it 2 years later, the algaefix isn't the magical cure.JMO.
Check out the marinealgae fix thread in the reef chemistry forum. Many people have had success with it. My system is mostly sps, I saw very few negative effective. I highly recommend this product.

Only RECENTLY have I been using the marine algaefix and the two-barred rabbitfish...not for two years! Anything I was doing before was pretty much useless or counterproductive.

I have not removed all of this algae from my tank. I am not even sure if that is possible. Using the methods I have listed I was able to kill it down to negligible proportions.