Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2010, 04:20 PM   #1
ticklesworth
Dingo Daddy Slim

Algae Help

Hey I have these two different types of algae which keep coming back not matter how many times i clean off the rocks and glass. I'm using phosphate removers and running a decent skimmer, but I can't seem to control it. Can someone help me?

ticklesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 04:27 PM   #2
cham
Registered Member

Both look like they could be bacterial based algea like cyano.

What foods are you typically feeding? Are you carbon dosing?

More info on your tank, husbandry and inhabitants.

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 04:40 PM   #3
SleepyMike
Registered Member

Maybe try a little more flow in your tank. I had some red slime and put more flow. It helped.

Current Tank Info: Building a 25 aqua system
SleepyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 04:40 PM   #4
liz62
Zeohead

it is cyano.
How much flow do you have in your tank?
Are you using RO/DI for your water source?
When you say you are "using phosphate removers" what do you mean? Do you have a phosphate reactor where you can actively run the GFO?
Also, if you can run your skimmer a little on the wet side it will help to expiate the excess nutrient removal.

liz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 04:46 PM   #5
STiTCH87
Registered Member

Often flow won't affect cyano much, and an increased flow will only make a mat of cyano flake up and roll around. If your flow is low then that may be where t came from, but won't get rid of it. Only use RO/DI water, including for top off.

How old is your tank? If it's new you may have to wait up to 3 months before it goes away.

There are some red slime removing chemicals out there. I forget the good brand but it's something like AlgaeFix or whatever. Comes in a blue box and is power based but is 100% natural and reef/invert safe.

STiTCH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 04:59 PM   #6
SleepyMike
Registered Member

I think adding flow and manuely removing it is better than putting chemicals in your tank. You can use a syphon hose and a tooth brush. It will take a while but should help.

Current Tank Info: Building a 25 aqua system
SleepyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 05:50 PM   #7
ticklesworth
Dingo Daddy Slim

I'm using GFO in my canister filter w/ carbon inserts as well. I have pretty good flow considering I have such a small tank for my filter, and I have a hang-on skimmer. So far I have been sucking the nastiness off whenever I do water changes. I want to avoid using chemicals. Maybe its just me, but that seems hazardous. I guess I'll just keep doing what I have been and hope in time it will work itself out of the tank. Thanks guys.

ticklesworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, brown, bubble algae, pain, red