Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2016, 11:46 AM   #276
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Thanks! Recorded this for a fellow Reefer looking at using a lifereef with a Vectra. Might as well put it on here too, should it help anyone!

The black piece of Laminated paper on the right of the column, we made that because the frag tank light was spilling (hence the very blue video) over and skimmer was getting algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a Vectra M1 with my LifeReef skimmer. It works very well in the right system.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 02:15 PM   #277
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
I use a Vectra M1 with my LifeReef skimmer. It works very well in the right system.

Nice! He ended up going with the M1 and is liking it so far as well.

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 08:01 PM   #278
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Chaeto is taking off. Here's 7 days ago and today.

Today

Unread 08/14/2016, 07:58 PM   #279
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Had a party today with about 30-35 people over. Party was spread out throughout the house with a lot of attn (naturally) on the fish tank. When I first started reefing, someone mentioned their ph dropping when they have people over, not understanding the breakdown of ph and what drives it, I thought this guy was crazy!

We typically sit around 8.16-8.2 on ph, occasionally down to 8.05. Tonight we dropped down to a 7.19! It's creeped back up now that everyone's gone. 8 hours of 30-35 people throughout the house played a factor.

Unread 08/15/2016, 01:06 AM   #280
dave.m
Registered Member

Must have been all that methane.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 06:34 AM   #281
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Must have been all that methane.

Dave.M

Hah! Guaranteed that's it!!

Unread 08/15/2016, 11:24 AM   #282
MrsReefK
Registered Member

That little stinker yellow head jawfish made its way to the sump. He's going to be a hassle to get out of there. I went one day without a filter sock on that feed tube and go figure that's the day he makes it thru. Little punk. He's a tiny guy, made it through the teeth of the overflow. We learned our lesson on this small of fish, they just can't handle the flow, 2nd one that went though the overflow.

Started TTM today of the scared fishes, they'll thank me once they get into DT.

Unread 08/17/2016, 05:43 PM   #283
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Video of the fish room. Not sure if I've ever shared it here besides pics, this should help piece it together for anyone wondering. DT side of the tank is still under construction, hopefully soon can say that I can sit on the couch and watch the tank. Right now I sit on a lousy bar stool and dream of staring at the tank from a comfy couch

Unread 08/18/2016, 09:20 AM   #284
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Forgot to share our flood on Sunday. I thought it'd be a great idea while tidying up the house for the party to mix some water.... And never shut it off. 30 gallons, on the floor. Thankfully living room (on the other side of the walls) is not finished. That would've been a lot worse.

Next time, don't mix water when you have other things on your mind

Next fish room, bring the linoleum 4" up the wall to help contain some water. Lesson learned.

Unread 08/18/2016, 09:56 AM   #285
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Power went out for 4 hours yesterday. 4 is my limit of comfort. One thing we had going for us is our current light bio load. Temp only dropped one degree in DT and two degrees in the frag tank. Everything is fine today. Generator is ready for future should they be longer than 4 hours.

Unread 08/23/2016, 02:16 PM   #286
Ojos22
Registered Member

Love the video, still one of the cleanest builds I have ever seen. Do you run your grow light 24/7? if not what kind of photo period are you running?

Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 08:03 PM   #287
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos22 View Post
Love the video, still one of the cleanest builds I have ever seen. Do you run your grow light 24/7? if not what kind of photo period are you running?

Thanks!! Right now I run it 24/7, yes. I'll switch it to non DT light hours soon. I wanted to jump start the chaeto growth to help beat out other algaes that were showing their faces.

Unread 08/30/2016, 07:26 PM   #288
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Trimmed back the chaeto today, had a lot dying on the top, I need to do it sooner next time.

First corals are officially in DT. So many choices of where to place everything, took me forever to decide on just 3, let alone the other 40 frags I have to put in. Setosa, sour apple birdsnest and green monti with blue edges went in. Also the XL plate coral went in as well.

I've been neglecting the tank a bit with traveling for work. Picking her back up this week and it feels darn good!

Unread 08/30/2016, 07:26 PM   #289
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Unread 08/30/2016, 08:35 PM   #290
dave.m
Registered Member

Try not to place things too permanently. A coral will tell you after a few weeks if it's not in the best place (light, current, water quality, etc.). Leave yourself some room to move things around if they're not happy. Hopefully you've quarantined all your corals for 6-8 weeks to be sure you're not introducing any pests to your display tank.

Dave.M

Unread 08/31/2016, 06:22 AM   #291
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Try not to place things too permanently. A coral will tell you after a few weeks if it's not in the best place (light, current, water quality, etc.). Leave yourself some room to move things around if they're not happy. Hopefully you've quarantined all your corals for 6-8 weeks to be sure you're not introducing any pests to your display tank.

Dave.M

Dave, all corals have been QTd, dipped and observed for well over 5 weeks that are hitting the DT. I am a bit of a freak on fish and coral QT to ensure no pests or diseases are hitting DT. Hopefully it pays off in the end.

Unread 09/03/2016, 07:48 PM   #292
MrsReefK
Registered Member

House is still under full construction with the guest rooms not finished, where else to throw the guest mattress besides here???? What a perfect headboard. (Minus the tarp and construction).

Unread 09/03/2016, 07:49 PM   #293
MrsReefK
Registered Member

I have the "lunar" settings turned to on with the Radions, much much brighter than I anticipated. I realize it goes off the moon, but man. I think I'm going to turn it off, I was expecting a dull glow. Not a full tank lit

Unread 09/03/2016, 09:20 PM   #294
dave.m
Registered Member

Perhaps you could set just one lamp at a time to do the moonlight instead of all of them at once.

Dave.M

Unread 09/11/2016, 05:32 PM   #295
MrsReefK
Registered Member

We have micro bubbles, and a lot of them. Never have had crystal clear water because of them. I chalked it up as our fault for not using the sponges provided in the lifereef sump. I didn't want to have to keep them clean, so didn't use them. Put them in, still getting bubbles. We're getting air from somewhere.

Could it be we're pushing too much water through the returns? We have 2000 per hour coming out of just two 3/4 return spouts. Would it help for us to add two? One in each rear corner?

Unread 09/11/2016, 07:48 PM   #296
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Are you using loc line at all?

Unread 09/11/2016, 08:00 PM   #297
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Are you using loc line at all?

Yes, is that a good or bad thing? Using about 5 "links" for each return head in the DT.

Unread 09/11/2016, 08:02 PM   #298
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Loc line is not air tight.
Loc line above the surface of the water will draw air bubbles. While that may not be the only source of micro bubbles in your tank, it will be a significant source assuming they are all above water.

Unread 09/13/2016, 05:27 PM   #299
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Loc line is not air tight.
Loc line above the surface of the water will draw air bubbles. While that may not be the only source of micro bubbles in your tank, it will be a significant source assuming they are all above water.

My husband Jeremy thinks the loc lines are completely under water. I'm traveling this week for work, he's double checking tonight to make sure.

Should they be underwater, any other ideas?

Unread 09/13/2016, 07:11 PM   #300
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

If the loc line is under water then it is due to something else.

Check unions, (make sure they are screwed down tight).
Check threaded fittings, (make sure they are properly coated with teflon tape. More is better when it comes to teflon tape). DONT SCREW THE THREADED FITTINGS SO TIGHT THAT THEY CRACK. Otherwise, get happy with the teflon tape.

Best way to check for air leaks, (Which is honestly what you are looking for) is salt creep. Salt creep indicates a leak. Air gets in before water. If you need to re-do glued fittings, use a magic marker and mark lines on both sides being glued. Run the PVC glue all around, and place the two parts to be fitted where the two lines are 45 degrees away from each other. Insert the dry side, and twist until the lines meet.

If you have any barbed fittings with flexible hose, use a hose clamp or zip tie and crank those tight. That is another source of air in the system.

Failing all of that...get a young priest and an old priest....