Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2016, 04:07 PM   #1
jwilliams860
Registered Member

siwtch rd3 speedy 50w to skimmer pump

I have a brand new rd3 50w flow pump. I ended up buying the 80w for my return and I also wondered if I could swap out the volute and impeller to make the 50w into a skimmer pump? If so which parts would I need.

Currently im just thinking ahead, I dont have a skimmer in mind, but I do have an old alpha 170 i thought about playing around with it and seeing how it did and also a SM200 body with no pump.

Thanks

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2016, 06:36 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

They are completely different pumps. The skimmer pumps have a detection algorithm that senses airflow and will provide an alarm notification if air is obstructed. At least I know that feature is included on the newest 60w skimmer pumps.

I can inquire with Germany about the possibility of converting it but the impeller and volute aren't cheap plus you would also need the nozzle. We don't stock those parts for sale purposes in the US. We might have impellers and nozzles but those are slated for service inventory and not sale inventory. We definitely do not have the volutes which means parts would have to ship direct from Germany. This assuming the conversion is even possible. The shipping cost would get expensive having them sent from there.

You would be far better off buying the new skimmer pump and selling the RD3 50 if you aren't going to use it.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 04/01/2016 at 06:43 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 07:56 AM   #3
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Ok, I was kind of thinking that as well, but thought I'd ask just to double check. Thanks for the info

Unread 04/03/2016, 07:28 PM   #4
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Do you all stock the Skimmer pumps here in the US?

Unread 04/03/2016, 07:47 PM   #5
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams860 View Post
Do you all stock the Skimmer pumps here in the US?

We do stock a large variety of skimmer pumps, if you're looking for the SM200 RD3 (610/SM/1) we are currently sold out. Though a 610/DC/1 is essentially the same pump that can be used, just different PN.

Do you still have the original pump for this skimmer? Was it an RD3, or AC block?

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450

Last edited by ReefClownMIA; 04/03/2016 at 08:14 PM.
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2016, 07:56 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
We do stock a large variety of skimmer pumps, if you're looking for the SM200 RD3 (610/SM/1) we are currently sold out.

Do you still have the original pump for this skimmer? Was it an RD3, or AC block?
He just has the bare skimmer body with no pump. I'd bet is was an AC pump anyway.

I am sure we have a pump. It's probably there under a different part number.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 04/03/2016 at 08:08 PM.
Unread 04/03/2016, 08:28 PM   #7
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

You can use this pump linked here: 610/DC/1

It's the same pump, but packaged for the Double Cone 180/200 skimmer. It'll fit the Supermarin, same pump.

Unread 04/09/2016, 09:04 PM   #8
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:
You can use this pump linked here: 610/DC/1

It's the same pump, but packaged for the Double Cone 180/200 skimmer. It'll fit the Supermarin, same pump.

If it's the same pump what is the $30 price difference for?

Any idea when the correct pump would be in stock?

Unread 04/09/2016, 09:05 PM   #9
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
He just has the bare skimmer body with no pump. I'd bet is was an AC pump anyway.

I am sure we have a pump. It's probably there under a different part number.
It is the RD3 model Supermarin 200

Unread 04/09/2016, 09:07 PM   #10
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
If it's the same pump what is the $30 price difference for?

Any idea when the correct pump would be in stock?
It's packaged for the Double Cone, comes with the optional Pump Stand.
I do not believe that we will be receiving the 610/SM/1 Pump in the next shipment...

Unread 04/09/2016, 09:51 PM   #11
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:
It's packaged for the Double Cone, comes with the optional Pump Stand.
I do not believe that we will be receiving the 610/SM/1 Pump in the next shipment...
What kind of time frame on the SM/1? Or when would you know for sure if it came on the shipment?

Thanks

Unread 04/09/2016, 09:59 PM   #12
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
What kind of time frame on the SM/1? Or when would you know for sure if it came on the shipment?

Thanks
I'm 99% certain the SM/1 is not on this shipment, but I should know more by end of the week latest. I have no date for a next shipment yet, I do not expect another shipment after this for at least a couple of months. Maybe sooner, but doubtful... Most likely a container around late summer time.

Unread 04/09/2016, 10:19 PM   #13
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Ok I'll look into it , the $30 isn't that big of a deal, does the base plate make the pump to high for the super Marin?

Unread 04/09/2016, 10:28 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
It is the RD3 model Supermarin 200
As Marco said, the 610/DC/1 is the same pump but it also includes a seperate stand that the pump would sit on for the double cone. For the Supermarin, you just woudln't use the stand. Yea, it cost a few dollars more but the upgrade is a major one to begin with and worth the investment. The RD3 is a great pump and essentially brings your skimmer up the latest and greatest pump that is leaps and bounds better than the original Red Dragon pump.

I just sent an email to Germany to see if the 610/SM/1's will be included with the air shipment. We expect that to ship from Germany within the next few business days and arrive in the next 4 weeks or so. Maybe sooner but you never know with customs. That said, we just don't know if the 610/SM/1's will be included with that shipment. Hopefully we get an update from Germany first of the week. If you are looking to upgrade immediately, then the 610/DC/1 will get you the same RD3 skimmer pump for your Supermarin 200 along with a fancy custom white PVC coffee cup stand/beer coaster that is hand crafted in Germany!

Unread 04/09/2016, 10:29 PM   #15
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Ok I'll look into it , the $30 isn't that big of a deal, does the base plate make the pump to high for the super Marin?

The DC180/200s require the pump to be lifted via the pump stand, here shown in white:

Here is a shot of my personal DC180 showing the stand:

The SM's do not require the separate (white) stand as their intake is lower:

Unread 04/10/2016, 11:26 AM   #16
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:
As Marco said, the 610/DC/1 is the same pump but it also includes a seperate stand that the pump would sit on for the double cone. For the Supermarin, you just woudln't use the stand. Yea, it cost a few dollars more but the upgrade is a major one to begin with and worth the investment. The RD3 is a great pump and essentially brings your skimmer up the latest and greatest pump that is leaps and bounds better than the original Red Dragon pump.

I just sent an email to Germany to see if the 610/SM/1's will be included with the air shipment. We expect that to ship from Germany within the next few business days and arrive in the next 4 weeks or so. Maybe sooner but you never know with customs. That said, we just don't know if the 610/SM/1's will be included with that shipment. Hopefully we get an update from Germany first of the week. If you are looking to upgrade immediately, then the 610/DC/1 will get you the same RD3 skimmer pump for your Supermarin 200 along with a fancy custom white PVC coffee cup stand/beer coaster that is hand crafted in Germany!

Ok sounds good, I'll see if you get a reply, Im in no rush my tank is still couple weeks away from going on line.

Thats great about the coaster, I was already thinking what I would use it for, I was thinking leveler for a wobbly table with a great story behind it.

Thanks for the help again.

Unread 04/12/2016, 02:32 PM   #17
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Scott/Marco,

Would the pump model 610/DL also work?

All the specs appear to be the same from what I can tell on the webpage and it is showing as in stock.

Thanks

Unread 04/12/2016, 09:23 PM   #18
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott/Marco,

Would the pump model 610/DL also work?

All the specs appear to be the same from what I can tell on the webpage and it is showing as in stock.

Thanks
While it will work, the volute is in the wrong orientation for the DC. It would need to be removed and rotated. That said, they were removed from inventory as they are needed for some skimmer bodies that we have on hand that don't have pumps. Marco has an RD3 skimmer pump set aside for you that will cost you the same as the SM/1 so you don't need to pay for the baseplate/coffee coaster that you don't need. If he hasn't PM'd you, he will get in touch with you in the next day.

Unread 04/12/2016, 10:39 PM   #19
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Ok I'll wait to hear from him, you said the volute is in the wrong position for the DC. I have a SuperMarin 200, that may be what you meant so just double checking. That's why I was thinking the 610/DL model would fit.

Quote:
While it will work, the volute is in the wrong orientation for the DC. It would need to be removed and rotated. That said, they were removed from inventory as they are needed for some skimmer bodies that we have on hand that don't have pumps. Marco has an RD3 skimmer pump set aside for you that will cost you the same as the SM/1 so you don't need to pay for the baseplate/coffee coaster that you don't need. If he hasn't PM'd you, he will get in touch with you in the next day.

Unread 04/13/2016, 07:38 AM   #20
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Ok I'll wait to hear from him, you said the volute is in the wrong position for the DC. I have a SuperMarin 200, that may be what you meant so just double checking. That's why I was thinking the 610/DL model would fit.
That's what I meant. The Deluxe pump has a different output orientation than the Supemarin and Double Cone.

Unread 04/13/2016, 08:07 AM   #21
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

PM Sent.