Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2016, 10:28 AM   #1
jporter
Registered Member

Skimmer, return pump suggestions

I just received a new sump from Trigger. It's now a good time to upgrade to a BK skimmer and possibly a return pump. My DT is 150G with lots of SPS/LPS and softies. I have 20 or so fish with 3 of them being good sized tangs and 1 angel. The sump dimensions are:
27.5" long x 15" wide x 15" tall. Two 1" drain inputs Two 4" socks No baffle to divide skimmer/refugium sections Additional wall at 6" tall after foam block area Return pump area: 6" x 14.5" Middle section for skimmer/equipment: 11.7" x 14.5".

There is some head loss on the return side as I have a 3/4" return split by a tee into dual 1/2" sea swirls. (6ft height) I like to run a good amount of flow through my sump and wouldn't mind having a pump run at a lower power level with some reserve. Looking for slief and others for best recommendations. Thanks much. JP

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5047.jpg (53.3 KB, 37 views)
jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 10:49 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter View Post
I just received a new sump from Trigger. It's now a good time to upgrade to a BK skimmer and possibly a return pump. My DT is 150G with lots of SPS/LPS and softies. I have 20 or so fish with 3 of them being good sized tangs and 1 angel. The sump dimensions are:
27.5" long x 15" wide x 15" tall. Two 1" drain inputs Two 4" socks No baffle to divide skimmer/refugium sections Additional wall at 6" tall after foam block area Return pump area: 6" x 14.5" Middle section for skimmer/equipment: 11.7" x 14.5".

There is some head loss on the return side as I have a 3/4" return split by a tee into dual 1/2" sea swirls. (6ft height) I like to run a good amount of flow through my sump and wouldn't mind having a pump run at a lower power level with some reserve. Looking for slief and others for best recommendations. Thanks much. JP
For a skimmer, I would suggest the Double Cone 180. They are under rated and you don't have a heavy load anyway. It happens to be an absolutely great skimmer with a terrific pump and it would work great on your setup. They are also silent. You could get away with the Double Cone 200 or Mini 200 but either would be a bit oversized and more difficult to tune let alone keep consistent.

For a return pump, I'd probably suggest the RD3 50 for your size tank. If you are planning on feeding a bunch of reactors too, then an RD3 80 but given what you are saying, the RD3 50 would be fine. They too are silent and produce great flow for the power.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 03:37 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

In looking at the skimmer compartment dimensions, the Double Cone 180 would be a tight fit but I think it will fit. The dims on the Double Cone 180 are:
11.42ʺ wide / 14.17ʺ length / ~ 20.87ʺ height

The only other option would be a Mini 180. While it doesn't have the RD3 pump, it's still a great skimmer. That would easily fit your space. I prefer the double cone though because of the pump being outside the skimmer body which makes maintenance much easier. I also prefer the RD3 pump due to the additional ability to fine tune via the pump control speed.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 03/16/2016 at 03:43 PM.
Unread 03/17/2016, 11:19 AM   #4
jporter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
In looking at the skimmer compartment dimensions, the Double Cone 180 would be a tight fit but I think it will fit. The dims on the Double Cone 180 are:
11.42ʺ wide / 14.17ʺ length / ~ 20.87ʺ height

The only other option would be a Mini 180. While it doesn't have the RD3 pump, it's still a great skimmer. That would easily fit your space. I prefer the double cone though because of the pump being outside the skimmer body which makes maintenance much easier. I also prefer the RD3 pump due to the additional ability to fine tune via the pump control speed.
Scott, thanks for the help. I have ordered the DC-180 and RD3 50W for the return. I will post some pics once it's all installed and running. JP

Unread 03/17/2016, 11:55 AM   #5
ArmanS
Registered Member

You are going to love the DC 180 and the RD3 Return Pump. The quality of products by RE is top notch. I was amazed the first time I ran a RD3 at how quiet it was.

Unread 03/18/2016, 09:13 PM   #6
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott, thanks for the help. I have ordered the DC-180 and RD3 50W for the return. I will post some pics once it's all installed and running. JP
JP,
Your skimmer shipped out this afternoon. You should have it in hand friday 3/25

Take care,
Marco

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2016, 10:01 AM   #7
jporter
Registered Member

Returned home from dinner last night and my skimmer was waiting for me. I was very curious about it fitting in it's sump compartment, especially after seeing the size of the box. The box was almost as big as my sump. Needless to say this skimmer is a work of art. The pump alone feels like it weighs 5 or more pounds. My matching return pump was also delivered this week so I have all the new HW to go along with the new sump install. The one big issue I have is fit in the sump. It's very tight and that's because the skimmer cup bottom is at the same level as an acrylic rim on my sump. The rim sticks into the interior of the sump approx. 1". I figure if I have a skimmer riser made for 2" it will free up 1-2 inches of room. I can adjust the water height to make up for this, was just looking for feedback from the experts. In the very least I will have to cut and shorten the connector silicone mating the pump to the skimmer body. I'm so impressed with the skimmer that I would get a new sump before asking to exchange the skimmer for a smaller mini model.
Would there be any drawbacks to raising the skimmer 2 inches?
The pump cord would slightly rub the forward wall where the filter sock compartment is. I assume no issues with the cord possibly cracking, or with vibration?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5107.jpg (37.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5113.jpg (56.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5115.jpg (32.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5116.jpg (26.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5117.jpg (31.1 KB, 21 views)
Unread 03/25/2016, 12:33 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Returned home from dinner last night and my skimmer was waiting for me. I was very curious about it fitting in it's sump compartment, especially after seeing the size of the box. The box was almost as big as my sump. Needless to say this skimmer is a work of art. The pump alone feels like it weighs 5 or more pounds. My matching return pump was also delivered this week so I have all the new HW to go along with the new sump install. The one big issue I have is fit in the sump. It's very tight and that's because the skimmer cup bottom is at the same level as an acrylic rim on my sump. The rim sticks into the interior of the sump approx. 1". I figure if I have a skimmer riser made for 2" it will free up 1-2 inches of room. I can adjust the water height to make up for this, was just looking for feedback from the experts. In the very least I will have to cut and shorten the connector silicone mating the pump to the skimmer body. I'm so impressed with the skimmer that I would get a new sump before asking to exchange the skimmer for a smaller mini model.
Would there be any drawbacks to raising the skimmer 2 inches?
The pump cord would slightly rub the forward wall where the filter sock compartment is. I assume no issues with the cord possibly cracking, or with vibration?
There are absolutely no drawbacks to raising the skimmer up a couple inches. Lots of people run their skimmers on stands. I would suggest starting your sump level between 8" & 9" from the bottom of the skimmer to the water line. If you don't have much of a load in your tank, you will definitely want to start at the higher depth. As for cutting the silicone tube between the skimmer and the pump, that shouldn't cause any issues either. The pump doesn't vibrate at all so you shouldn't need to worry about the cord. If there is a way to orient the skimmer so the cord doesn't have tension on it where it enters the pump, that would be best but no hard will come from the cord touch the sump walls.

Unread 03/25/2016, 12:57 PM   #9
jporter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
There are absolutely no drawbacks to raising the skimmer up a couple inches. Lots of people run their skimmers on stands. I would suggest starting your sump level between 8" & 9" from the bottom of the skimmer to the water line. If you don't have much of a load in your tank, you will definitely want to start at the higher depth. As for cutting the silicone tube between the skimmer and the pump, that shouldn't cause any issues either. The pump doesn't vibrate at all so you shouldn't need to worry about the cord. If there is a way to orient the skimmer so the cord doesn't have tension on it where it enters the pump, that would be best but no hard will come from the cord touch the sump walls.
Thanks Scott.
I put the pumps in the laundry sink to test them. Completely silent and void of any vibration. Very impressive! I'm going to raise the skimmer 2" and will shoot you some updated pics. I'm still in awe as to the heft and quality of these 2 pieces. The insert on top of the skimmer lid is a nice touch. Can't wait to get them installed and operational. Jeff

Unread 03/25/2016, 05:05 PM   #10
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Jeff,
That's going to be nice! As for raising the skimmer up for clearance, you shouldn't have any issues.
I've had to lift mine up, for proper depth rather than clearance though. Have a look at my floating/invisible stand.

Unread 03/25/2016, 11:07 PM   #11
jporter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Jeff,
That's going to be nice! As for raising the skimmer up for clearance, you shouldn't have any issues.
I've had to lift mine up, for proper depth rather than clearance though. Have a look at my floating/invisible stand.

SWEET!
Can you share the dimensions of your sump and the skimmer section in particular. JP

Unread 03/26/2016, 09:19 AM   #12
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
SWEET!
Can you share the dimensions of your sump and the skimmer section in particular. JP
My skimmer is the DC180 as well. Great skimmer.

Chamber size:
Mine: 16.5” x 19"
Yours: 11.7" x 14.5"