Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2014, 03:39 PM   #1
d2mini
Registered Member

Pest Control in the Fish Room!

No, not your wife and kids!

So for those who have a separate fish room in your basement or garage or separate outdoor structure, what do you do about pest control... spiders, ants and other creepy crawlies?

When my exterminator comes to treat the house, I always remind him to steer clear of the display tank.
But now that i'm building out a small support room which I would have him stay out of all together, what can I do myself to make it as pest free as possible?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

I make sure nothing is sprayed in that room but I don't really get a lot of critters in there. Occasionally an ant will wonder in but they usually make their way into the refugium and die

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 05:31 PM   #3
billsreef
10 & Over Club

From my pet shop days, bait is the only truly safe answer. Sprays are evil.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 07:23 PM   #4
AdamNC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
From my pet shop days, bait is the only truly safe answer. Sprays are evil.
^^^ I'm my reptile room and on my loft where my tank is spraying is banned. So I have bait traps around and also surround my house with Amdro granules amdro dot com. One of the large containers 3 times a year. Haven't had any issues with ants whatsoever and is a heck of a lot cheaper the Terminex. Spiders on the other hand is a manual removal with a spider web brush on a stick. But get rid of the food source and you will get rid of spiders.

AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 08:06 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Bleach mixed with water in a spray bottle should kill anything that crawls as well as eggs. 1:4 ratio should do the trick but you could probably go lower on the bleach.. Find a spider and spray it to see if it dies. Spray in all corners. Ammonia and water should do the same but that is harder on the sinuses.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 07:46 AM   #6
d2mini
Registered Member

OK, i guess I'll pick up some bait thingies if it's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNC View Post
^^^ I'm my reptile room and on my loft where my tank is spraying is banned. So I have bait traps around and also surround my house with Amdro granules amdro dot com. One of the large containers 3 times a year. Haven't had any issues with ants whatsoever and is a heck of a lot cheaper the Terminex. Spiders on the other hand is a manual removal with a spider web brush on a stick. But get rid of the food source and you will get rid of spiders.
Ya, this is probably true.
In my previous "fish room" which was a corner of my garage, i had a lot of webs and stuff up in the top corners of the walls. Probably lots of flying bugs (food) available. Now that I've walled it off and created a room with a door, it shouldn't be as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Bleach mixed with water in a spray bottle should kill anything that crawls as well as eggs. 1:4 ratio should do the trick but you could probably go lower on the bleach.. Find a spider and spray it to see if it dies. Spray in all corners. Ammonia and water should do the same but that is harder on the sinuses.
Cool, good tip.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 07:56 AM   #7
wildman926
Registered Member

Malathion - spray the outside walls and door of the room, as well as the garage. It is used to rid pests from our fruits and vegetables. It breaks down immediately to a non toxic stated if it comes in contact with water.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 10:08 AM   #8
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
Malathion - spray the outside walls and door of the room, as well as the garage. It is used to rid pests from our fruits and vegetables. It breaks down immediately to a non toxic stated if it comes in contact with water.
Um, just no. It does not break down immediately in contact with water, in fact it's diluted with water before being sprayed on crops. Crops that have been sprayed also can not be harvested within several days of application, and still should be well washed before consumption.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 10:35 AM   #9
MellowReefer
Registered Member

You can use diatomaceous earth. It worked great for me when my cats got fleas one time but it works for all insects. It's all natural and non toxic. But be careful not to breath it in when you are spreading it on the floor, and don't put it in high traffic areas where it can get stirred up and become airborne.

Unread 11/24/2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Coelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowReefer View Post
You can use diatomaceous earth. It worked great for me when my cats got fleas one time but it works for all insects. It's all natural and non toxic. But be careful not to breath it in when you are spreading it on the floor, and don't put it in high traffic areas where it can get stirred up and become airborne.
I was going to suggest diatomaceous earth too. Make sure you get food grade, not the stuff for pools. It takes care of just about anything with a carapace.

Coelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Fade2White12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Cool, good tip.
You may want to use something a bit more surface and people/pet friendly than bleach or ammonia. A 50:50 mix of vinegar and water will kill most insects, as will about an ounce of dish soap (Dawn, for instance) per quart of water. The soap disrupts the cell membranes for most soft-bodied insects, and for those with hard skeletons, it works at blocking pore respiration. For a lot of insects, they perish almost instantly.

Fade2White12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 12:48 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2White12 View Post
You may want to use something a bit more surface and people/pet friendly than bleach or ammonia. A 50:50 mix of vinegar and water will kill most insects, as will about an ounce of dish soap (Dawn, for instance) per quart of water. The soap disrupts the cell membranes for most soft-bodied insects, and for those with hard skeletons, it works at blocking pore respiration. For a lot of insects, they perish almost instantly.
Good point about vinegar and or soap. Soap is an oldie but a goodie however it only works on contact. I forgot about that one. Same goes with most other DIY organic pest control solutions including my bleach suggestion. Vinegar is also a good ant deterrent.

Here is a good site with some good info on DIY organic solutions.
http://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_pest_cntrl.htm

And another.
http://www.bobvila.com/get-rid-of-fl.../slideshows#!1

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 11/24/2014 at 12:54 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 08:54 PM   #13
btucker7587
Registered Member

+1 Slief on bleach water. I also shop-vac any webs or spiders up immediately. Bait traps for ants and centipedes. I use sonic repellents for vermin because the gecko's and mole crickets here would also be effected by bait traps and sticky paper. Gecko's and mole crickets are a great pest control as far as insects.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon (60x24x24) Acrylic Reef Tank. Apex Controller, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, Reefbreeder 48” LED Lights, 2x Jebao RW 15 Power heads, 2x 300w Heater (Kotobuku), 70 Gallon DIY sump, Jebao UV sterilizer, GFO and Carbon reactors
btucker7587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 08:11 AM   #14
johnreed07
Registered Member

Is it effective?

Unread 12/12/2017, 10:49 AM   #15
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelli View Post
I was going to suggest diatomaceous earth too. Make sure you get food grade, not the stuff for pools. It takes care of just about anything with a carapace.
What he/she said. Also boric acid will work. Spraying poison around the house and yard is not my idea of a good idea. If it kills things on contact, it might not be a good for you, your pets or kids to come in contact with it. Get it on your shoes and then its in the house, touch the floor and now you gots it. Same with the fish room. A little bit may not harm you but.... Just vacuum a lot and remove the food sources. The only thing I use is orthene and that's to treat fire ant mounds only. If spinosad does not work first. These are just my opinions and your results may vary.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 05:18 AM   #16
hottuna
Registered Member

diatomaceous earth...they eat it -they die

Unread 12/17/2017, 07:36 AM   #17
johnike
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
What he/she said. Also boric acid will work. Spraying poison around the house and yard is not my idea of a good idea. If it kills things on contact, it might not be a good for you, your pets or kids to come in contact with it. Get it on your shoes and then its in the house, touch the floor and now you gots it. Same with the fish room. A little bit may not harm you but.... Just vacuum a lot and remove the food sources. The only thing I use is orthene and that's to treat fire ant mounds only. If spinosad does not work first. These are just my opinions and your results may vary.
Great advice, boric acid is my go to.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 05:34 PM   #18
biecacka
Registered Member

DE as stated above works wonders.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 08:20 PM   #19
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

We use glue traps in our basement. They work incredible. Everyone in the family has even been caught once or twice. And no sprays.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 05:15 AM   #20
Gezkovich
Registered Member

Sprinkle boric acid or diatomaceous earth along the baseboards. Both will cause insects to dehydrate and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gezkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 09:47 AM   #21
smatter
Registered Member

Geckos work great.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:11 PM   #22
2_zoa
Registered Member

Lots of good tips and tricks added so far. Really though. It truly comes down to what your trying to accomplish. Ants, spiders, roaches, etc...

Quick thoughts,
Spiders, being arachnid don’t groom themselves. So, no amount of any spray will help against spiders. Unless, they themselves are directly sprayed. The other issue with them is they are built like 4X4’s so they never bump or scrap their exoskeletons. So borax or dieatomasish earth won’t dry them out.

Ants IMO are best baited so that it can get back to the queen and kill the colony. I make a mix of boric acid, sugar, and water for ants. You can use peanut butter instead of sugar for protein ants if you’ve got those. Swarming ants are a seasonal pest that just happens.

Other options are water activated granules that you can spread in the yard that don’t emit VOCs and can then be activated by a light watering.
Of course baits work well but to my knowledge can’t/shouldn’t get wet.

One last thought, no pest tech should be inside spraying anything. The days of baseboard spraying belongs in the 70’s. There are plenty of options with baits, granules, inside wall treatments, etc.. a bug indoors that has crossed a proper barrier on the exterior will die shortly or already be dieing when you see it indoors. A twitching bug has had a leathal dose. The cholinesterase inhibitors are in effect. Pest control should be applied according to the pest. A good tech will evaluate and treat accordingly.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 12:37 PM   #23
PeteStarks
Registered Member

Definitely a fan of using glue traps for finding out what sort of pest you are actually dealing with. It is very easy to see one bug and then panic poison the world.

PeteStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 12:24 PM   #24
shawn128
Registered Member

Hey,
Those tiny snails that mysteriously appeared in your tank are considered pests by many aquarium owners. They multiply like crazy, and unfortunately, they are a challenge to get rid of. Usually, they or their eggs come in on live plants or on bits of gravel from a fish store, and they are hard to spot. It's a really big problem with anyone, I have too.

shawn128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 05:54 PM   #25
gary_bergman
Registered Member

I think he’s talking about pests like ants and rodents lol

gary_bergman is offline   Reply With Quote