Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2010, 12:57 PM   #51
cortez marine
Moved On

Congrats on raising it to such good size and health!

cortez marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2010, 02:41 AM   #52
Johnny C
Registered Member

Wow, didn't realize this thread was still alive! For those who inquired, I ended up deciding to keep the fish and glad I did. His name is Midnight! Here's a picture of him I took last week, still very small but eats like a pig!

Unread 06/25/2010, 02:30 PM   #53
reefdive
Registered Member

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Last edited by RokleM; 07/20/2010 at 07:54 AM.
reefdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2010, 12:22 PM   #54
Blitzburggirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
I dont know why, but this fish is rarely exported in a medium size. When I got mine it was tiny about 2'' and I paid $350. for it. The importer I got it from also had large ones about the size of desert plates for $450. The Adults develop an iridecent bar along the dorsal fin that is quite striking against the jet black body. In a year it has quickly grown to a very healthy 4''-5'' and eats like a pig ! I'm sure that if you price yours at $400 it should sell quickly and at about fair market price.
Here are a few progression shots of mine from when I first got him, to today... It is hands down my favorite fish !

OMG and a red haddoni tooooooooooooooo --- so freakin jealous.

Blitzburggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2010, 03:51 PM   #55
reefergeorge
Registered Member

My lfs had one a few months ago that size, and it was $499.

edit:: LOL, I didn't relize it was three pages..

reefergeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2010, 11:14 PM   #56
markitekt
Registered Member

I know this post is old, but some people are just suckers. So if you buy the fish "illegally", for $500 (gem tang), then it's bad, but if you pay someone $2000 legally, it's OK? What is legal or not in this hobby is open to interpretation. As far as I'm concerned, I should be locked up cause I have a mini-ocean in my house and I didn't pay anybody too much money for it. Who is to say that owning a gem tang for $5 is illegal? NOBODY!!! But if you wanna feel "legal" about it, you can give me $5000 and I can get you the most legal gem tang in the world! I take Paypal.

"The beauty is in the eye of the beholder". That is true, but the rarity and the price of the black tang, for example, distort the vision of beauty. If all black tangs were as common as the yellow tang, then all yellow tangs would be worth $500 if they were as rare as the black tangs are now. It's what you can't have that you love the most.

Last edited by markitekt; 07/15/2010 at 11:33 PM.
markitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 06:06 PM   #57
xtm
Registered Member

3 years ago, my LFS had a Z Rostratum that they were selling for $250 - I said pass, and now thinking back I should have bought it.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2010, 07:07 PM   #58
jaa1456
Registered Member

I remember when I saw my first black tang almost 20 years ago. It was in the LFS's words a mutated yellow or really dark Scopas either way they said you want it take it for 30 bucks. I didn't want it but my stepfather picked it up and it lived in his tank for around 12 years. Such a nice fish and would love to have one myself.

jaa1456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:15 AM   #59
skibum9884
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markitekt View Post
I know this post is old, but some people are just suckers. So if you buy the fish "illegally", for $500 (gem tang), then it's bad, but if you pay someone $2000 legally, it's OK? What is legal or not in this hobby is open to interpretation. As far as I'm concerned, I should be locked up cause I have a mini-ocean in my house and I didn't pay anybody too much money for it. Who is to say that owning a gem tang for $5 is illegal? NOBODY!!! But if you wanna feel "legal" about it, you can give me $5000 and I can get you the most legal gem tang in the world! I take Paypal.

"The beauty is in the eye of the beholder". That is true, but the rarity and the price of the black tang, for example, distort the vision of beauty. If all black tangs were as common as the yellow tang, then all yellow tangs would be worth $500 if they were as rare as the black tangs are now. It's what you can't have that you love the most.
I think the issue of legality stems from having the appropriate CITES and permits to collect and import into the market where you live. Also, as certain locals are becoming less open to having collectors come in and take fish from their waters to be exported for the marine trade, I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a good deal of money for these permits. It's simple supply and demand, and the more they charge, the less fish will be taken.

Additionally, many of these rare fish (not so sure if Black or Gem Tangs are included in this category) are found in areas that are difficult and/or expensive to access and sometimes at depths that are very dangerous for the diver.

Personally, I think it's perfectly acceptable for these "rare" fish to cost upwards of $500-1K. When you think about it, someone is diving to great depths, at their own risk, to collect a fish somewhere in the middle of the ocean and then is being shipped and imported into the US (or other country) generally via overnight shipping. I think that's pretty incredible.....

Lastly, no one said you had to have a Black Tang, or a Gem, or that deepwater Butterfly. If you're put off by the price, don't buy it, someone else will.

skibum9884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:17 AM   #60
skibum9884
Registered Member

Oh yea, and what is legal vs. not legal is not open to interpretation. It's pretty black and white. Simply paying someone a lot of money doesn't make it legal........

There is a lot of illegal stuff in this hobby though, which is my eyes isn't good for anyone. I'd love to have a resplendant angel, but it's not going to happen.

skibum9884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:57 AM   #61
jaa1456
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum9884 View Post
I think the issue of legality stems from having the appropriate CITES and permits to collect and import into the market where you live. Also, as certain locals are becoming less open to having collectors come in and take fish from their waters to be exported for the marine trade, I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a good deal of money for these permits. It's simple supply and demand, and the more they charge, the less fish will be taken.

Additionally, many of these rare fish (not so sure if Black or Gem Tangs are included in this category) are found in areas that are difficult and/or expensive to access and sometimes at depths that are very dangerous for the diver.

Personally, I think it's perfectly acceptable for these "rare" fish to cost upwards of $500-1K. When you think about it, someone is diving to great depths, at their own risk, to collect a fish somewhere in the middle of the ocean and then is being shipped and imported into the US (or other country) generally via overnight shipping. I think that's pretty incredible.....

Lastly, no one said you had to have a Black Tang, or a Gem, or that deepwater Butterfly. If you're put off by the price, don't buy it, someone else will.
Some of these fish are not Rare, it is more of the country they are coming from. The country might only let 50 of these fish be exported a year. There might be thousands of them in a 1 square mile area. Not saying some of these are not rare though. But if the country wants to protect its natural reef they should have the right to do so. And if you want a fish that bad then you gotta pay.

Unread 07/20/2010, 12:40 PM   #62
Ben34105
Registered Member

My LFS had a 4" one for $600. They were doing maintenance on the big display tank killing off aptasia with some chemical. They got a little happy shooting up the aptasia and killed the tang.

Ben34105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 12:40 PM   #63
jmaneyapanda
Commencing hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by markitekt View Post

What in the world are you talking about? "Laws" are pretty well defined, and are NOT subject to interpretation. If a country like South Africa says its illegal to sell fish internationally, and you do it.........you're breaking the law, and its illegal. Its something called "smuggling". It has NOTHING to do with supply and demand. They are laws. And when hobbyists break laws to own something, it takes this hobby of our one step closer to extinction.

As for "beauty", and you defining the terms of it for everyone to adhere to, puh-leez. Based on what some people pay for suits, shoes, jewelry, tvs, cars, furniture, artwork.....etc etc etc, OBVIOUSLY there is no standard for beauty. We buy what we want, and we want what moves us. Period.

jmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 12:53 PM   #64
jnc914
Registered Member

Quote:

Quote:
Oh yea, and what is legal vs. not legal is not open to interpretation. It's pretty black and white. Simply paying someone a lot of money doesn't make it legal........

There is a lot of illegal stuff in this hobby though, which is my eyes isn't good for anyone. I'd love to have a resplendant angel, but it's not going to happen.

+1 Very well thought out post.

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 03:52 PM   #65
joeisgod47
Registered Member

looking for a Black tang anyone know where to find one now other then liveaquaria for 1000....

joeisgod47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 10:58 PM   #66
secrest
Tired

A lfs near me has one for 699. Pretty tempting.

secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 11:28 PM   #67
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Pacific Island Aquatics has them for around $400

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 11:29 PM   #68
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

I have a hybird Black/Scopas about 6-7 inches and its amazing. I was worried about aggression but its so chill. My favorite fish.

Unread 09/29/2012, 12:25 AM   #69
geaux xman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingtar_shinowa View Post
Pacific Island Aquatics has them for around $400
475 plus 50shipping. So 525.

Unread 09/29/2012, 01:29 AM   #70
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Lol in for a dime, in for a dozen.

Unread 09/29/2012, 05:04 AM   #71
jaa1456
Registered Member

paid 550 for mine 2 years ago the size of a quarter.

Unread 09/29/2012, 07:10 AM   #72
NiTr0x911
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeisgod47 View Post
looking for a Black tang anyone know where to find one now other then liveaquaria for 1000....
http://www.nyaquatic.com/servlet/the...n-Black/Detail

Unread 09/29/2012, 10:32 AM   #73
longranger
Registered Member

Really want your head to spin get your hands on a list showing how much the wholesalers pay for the $500--$1000 fish. Often under $50. Legal or illegal it is shameful. The same diver gets under $5 for a less rare tang that can come to retail for prices from $30 to $200. Price is dictated by supply and demand. Same is true for so many of the rare and beautiful fish we covet.

longranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 10:54 AM   #74
jaa1456
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Really want your head to spin get your hands on a list showing how much the wholesalers pay for the $500--$1000 fish. Often under $50. Legal or illegal it is shameful. The same diver gets under $5 for a less rare tang that can come to retail for prices from $30 to $200. Price is dictated by supply and demand. Same is true for so many of the rare and beautiful fish we covet.
Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. Black tangs are a deeper water fish, and are collected at Christmas Island for the most part. Very few divers go for them and last I heard there were only 2 divers collecting this fish. If you call directly to these divers they are selling them for 300-350. If a Lfs ordered 2 of these and lost one, they would only break even, unless they were charging a grand apiece.

Unread 09/29/2012, 01:16 PM   #75
longranger
Registered Member

I was aware of the depth they habitate. There are many other reef fish that are collected from similar depths that cost a small fraction of the cost of a BT. The prices wholesalers pay divers for most fish, maybe not the BT, is shockingly low compared to retail pricing. In many cases the extent of markup in price for the rare fish in high demand is rediculous and by the time they reach a LFS the costs reflect nothing but the market. At this point in time the BT may be a rare exception in terms of the price reasonably reflecting the price the wholesalers have to pay.

longranger is offline   Reply With Quote