Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:18 AM   #1
RobZilla04
Registered Member

IceCap / Jebao vs. Maxspect Gyres

Looking to add flow to a 90g. After tons of research I'm looking for anyone with lengthy experience (1+ years) with either the IceCap 3K or Jebao CP-120.

Plenty of info/reviews out there but rarely does anyone come back to comment after just a few months. With so many Maxspects hitting the used for sale section is it really that much better?

Supplementing two Jebao PP-8's FWIW.

Unread 04/18/2018, 09:56 AM   #2
gargoylenest
Registered Member

Id say, if you don't like cleaning your wavemaker regularly, that is not for you. Id say I clean them every 4-6 weeks.
Otherwise, I like my icecap gyre. got 2 on a 180gal, they move a lot of water. Took me a bit of time to get accustomed to the settings and what best position to set in my tank. They can get a bit noisy once in a while, if they are not set up correctly after cleaning.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

I have the 3k for 1 yr. and 2 months. Its running flawlessly. I believe I was one of the first people to buy it and post about it on this site and that was last Feb.

It had some slight noise during the break in. I sit 5' away from my tank to watch TV, nothing I couldnt deal with.

I've only had 1 problem with it. I noticed the water movement wasnt as good as it used to be, for about a week. Observing the pump I seen 1 side was not spinning. I took it out to clean it and investigate. I had a very small snail stuck between the cage and impeller and it stripped out the bushing that drives it. I ordered 2 new sets of bushing for under $10 shipped and its as good as new.

I have a smaller tank and I only run it at a max of 40%. I had it at one point up to 60% and it was laying some of my softies over. It moves a heck of a lot of water. I love the pump and for the money well worth it in my opinion.

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:32 AM   #4
yacn
Registered Member

I don't have the experience yet (1+ years) of running my gyre.

I bought a maxspect 250 gyre for my 150 about a month ago and love it. No noise...not that I would care much. Sound of LED light cooling fans and gurgling from twin overflows is louder....which my wife finds that noise soothing.

I'm about to buy a second gyre w/o the controller so I can swap out the wet side for cleaning rather quickly.

This way I can take my time and clean one unit while the other is running.

I don't really see a need for running 2 gyre's in my tank at the same time....although I'll be able to do that if I want using the same controller I already own. One unit moves A LOT of water in my tank. Especially at 100%!!

I reached out to Coral Vue and asked them the differences between Maxspect and Ice Cap because I was struggling to buy one or the other. They wouldn't really choose one over the other....but mentioned something along the lines of you get what you pay for....Maxspect was the original gyre and a better product thus commanding more money. So I bought the Maxspect....I guess we'll see if it was worth the extra money or not. Maxspect does have some advantages over Ice Cap like one controller until can control 2 gyres...not that I plan to do that. And I believe the Maxspect controller offers way more programming features for controlling the gyre .

I'll post an update somewhere in 3 months to a year on my experiences with it.

I would think you'll be happy with Ice Cap gyre as well.

Last edited by yacn; 04/18/2018 at 11:41 AM.
yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 05:01 PM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Thanks, I've been stalking the used section here but haven't been lucky enough to snag a Maxspect.

Going to avoid the Jebao this time.

Unread 04/18/2018, 06:35 PM   #6
yacn
Registered Member

I know the feeling! I go to the selling section a lot, and always seem to be a day late and dollar short on anything I'd be interested in buying....LOL

I usually just buy new because of that, as I'm a bit wary of other peoples used stuff. The first and only time I purchased something used (Reef Octopus Skimmer) the pump died on me after less than 2 years of service...the replacement pump is $200+....same price I paid for the used skimmer.

Good Luck!

yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:39 PM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I've had good luck with a few used purchases here (UV Sterilizer, GHL doser, skimmer).

As for the cleaning reply, I don't mind. I've got good husbandry and already have to clean my PP8s roughly every 6-8 weeks anyhow.

Unread 08/16/2019, 12:05 PM   #8
musclebai
Registered Member

cp 120- broke withn 12 months

cant speak for 3k..loved my cp 120....picked it up a year back on e3bay for $63...however one propeller was worn out and not functional within 12 months...other one is working fine

musclebai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 12:54 PM   #9
cvrle1
Registered Member

From what I read before, few differences between maxspect and icecap. Apparently parts are higher quality in maxspect gyre. Also, with advanced controller you have a lot more options for programming than you do with icecap controller. I got good deals on xf130/230 so I went with them. Keep an eye out on eBay, good deals pop up from time to time there as well.

And as an fyi, there isnt really a difference between XF130 and XF230 pumps. They are same. Only difference is the advanced controller. So if you can buy one pump with advanced controller, you can add "cheaper" fx130 to it as the 2nd one, if you choose to go with 2 pump setup.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 12:14 PM   #10
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

I've been running 2 XF250's for 2 years now on a 115 gal mixed reef. LOVE it! Started off with one, then got a good deal on a new second pump. The controller takes some getting used to for programming, but once you get the hang of it it's really great. I'm able to change patterns throughout the day and night, pause 3 times a day for my feeder, blah, blah, blah.
They do require regular maintenance, but like most things that USED to be a PITA, I've figured out ways to make it much easier. After using several other products prior, I really like these.
I like the improvements on the new 350/330's. I'm thinking of making a xmas present to myself of a pair and putting my current ones up for sale then.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefteaser View Post
I've been running 2 XF250's for 2 years now on a 115 gal mixed reef. LOVE it! Started off with one, then got a good deal on a new second pump. The controller takes some getting used to for programming, but once you get the hang of it it's really great. I'm able to change patterns throughout the day and night, pause 3 times a day for my feeder, blah, blah, blah.

They do require regular maintenance, but like most things that USED to be a PITA, I've figured out ways to make it much easier. After using several other products prior, I really like these.

I like the improvements on the new 350/330's. I'm thinking of making a xmas present to myself of a pair and putting my current ones up for sale then.

Curious as to what you do to simplify the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 08:00 AM   #12
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Well for one, I can do a “quick clean”, by simply putting a basin of citric acid and water on a small table in front of my tank, put both pumps in and let it run for 30 minutes or so. Dunk them in some fresh RO/DI and back to the tank. If I do this evey two or three weeks I believe it extends the need for a complete breakdown and cleaning. If the screens need replacing I can, but usually that can wait for the breakdown.
For a complete disassembly, I took a photo of an “expanded” view, with all of the various bushings and so forth laid out separately, in the order and manner in which they go together. This was of course after putting it together wrong a few times. I found that while the pump may run, the noise increases, the flow might not be fully realized, and parts wore quicker and unevenly.
I once broke a motor shaft removing a block door. It’s difficult to remove. The coralvew instructions to rap it hard on a table don’t work for me, and I believe it to be a design flaw. I also tried and failed to make a tool to remove the blockdoor. Now I leave it in place and use a small narrow 2 inch brush to clean the inside.
Nothing magical, but just like water changes, water testing, sump cleaning, etc. the more ways and methods I figure out how to make maintenance easier, the more likely I am to actually do it and in a timely fashion. A friend once told me he had to “learn to love the maintenance”. I think it’s a good attitude to adopt.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote