Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Jeff000
Electrician

Chockolate Chip and Red Knob Starfish will eat my Magnifica?

Just been reading around and keep reading that Chocolate chip stars, and Red Knob (Protoreaster linckii) will eat anemone's.
Is this an odity that this happens? Or a real risk?
I have 2 Magnifica, one is 3-4x the diameter of the star, but the other is recovering and only slightly larger than the star.

Should I be getting silversides to feed the stars once a week or so just to make sure?

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 11:54 AM   #2
eastlake
Registered Member

Definitely a real risk. If you're going to get a chocolate chip or red knob star any how I would supplement with clams on the half shell, mine were always rather fond of them. So hopefully that would quell the stars urge to consume an anemone, but, they do graze almost constantly and I'll never forget the mat of florida ricordea that my chocolate chip star mowed down over night. I've never had a magnifica myself but have always admired them and if I had a couple of healthy and happy ones I wouldn't risk putting something in the tank that may predate upon them.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Jeff000
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
Definitely a real risk. If you're going to get a chocolate chip or red knob star any how I would supplement with clams on the half shell, mine were always rather fond of them. So hopefully that would quell the stars urge to consume an anemone, but, they do graze almost constantly and I'll never forget the mat of florida ricordea that my chocolate chip star mowed down over night. I've never had a magnifica myself but have always admired them and if I had a couple of healthy and happy ones I wouldn't risk putting something in the tank that may predate upon them.
I've had the chocolate chip in there for like 8 months.
It's a baby blue chocolate chip, never even occurred that it could eat an anemone.
No corals in the tank, I knew they like soft ones for sure.

It and the red knob I wanted were to add some color since I don't have corals, love my large angels too much.

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote