Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Robatusan
Registered Member

Help! Have to shut down my tank for two weeks!

Due to a family emergency I have to leave town for maybe one or two weeks and I may not have anyone to look after my tank. Fortunately there's no live stock as I am nearing the end of my fishless cycle. Ammonia still is at 0.1 according to my Red Sea test kit. (Side note: the Seachem Ammonia Alert in-the-tank-stick-on-hangy-doodle is saying ammonia is at a safe level. Not sure which one to trust.)

Tank specs: Biocube 32, 30 pounds reefsaver dry rock (hopefully becoming alive,) 20 pounds live sand, Colbalt Neotherm 100 watt heater, Sicce Voyager Nano 2000 power head, Intank media basket with filter floss only, Tunze 9001 skimmer. I recently purchased a Tunze 3155 Osmolator which I may have time to set up before I leave, but I'm not sure if I should just set it up and hope the best while I'm away.

Questions: Should I just shut everything down? Should I keep the power head and/or heater running while I'm away? Keep the skimmer running? How will this affect my cycle which I'm almost 2 months into and don't want to disrupt or have to start over again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Robatusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 03:00 PM   #2
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Easy. Leave it running. No question. Turn off the skimmer so it doesn’t overflow. It would be preferable to set up the ATO but honestly my biocube goes through just a couple of cups a week so if you don’t it’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 03:01 PM   #3
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Consider it free cycling time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 03:18 PM   #4
jayball
Registered Member

Agree, Kill your skimmer, leave your powerhead on. You have had it running for 2 months so you should know how much you evaporate. Calculate how much is going to evap and make sure your return will not go dry if you top off as much as you can before you go.

Aside. If you have had the thing running for 2 months the cycle should have been finished, or at least ready for some livestock, if you had fed the tank in the first place. You may be getting a false positive on the test. have you had any algae blooms yet? Typically it comes in waves of diatoms, then cyano, then green hair algae. If you have not had any of those you may want to drop a little food in before you go to help kick it off.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 03:24 PM   #5
alanbetiger
Registered Member

Agreedyou should be good to go with some livestock when you return

alanbetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Robatusan
Registered Member

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll turn off the skimmer and keep everything else running.

Robatusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 05:12 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

turn off the lights too. No need to waste the electricity. Depending on type, it might help cut down on evaporation too.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote