Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Bob818
Registered Member

media reactors

Hi I was looking to get a phosphate and carbon reactor for 450 g total water volume system. I was gonna go with the geo 4"x18" would this be big enough.My other options are deltec or myreef creations. Deltec seems alot more expensive though. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Bob818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I would get a GEO 6x24". The 4x18 is too small.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Bob818
Registered Member

Thanks but I can't seem to find any sites that sell the 6x24 though. Anyone know of one?

Unread 08/19/2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I found the 6x18 which would still be nice. I thought he built the 6x24's too, but can't find one. If you are not in a hurry shoot him an email and see if he can build one for you custom

618:

http://www.aquacave.com/geo-618-media-reactor-2141.html

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Bricky
Registered Member

Check out Precision Marine while you're shopping around. I just picked up a SR55 which holds nearly 5.5 liters of media. Great price and quality craftsmanship.

I too looked at the deltec, but too expensive for a tube of acrylic. Considered the Geo, but liked the PM better.

Good luck.

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 06:42 AM   #6
mike660r
Registered Member

I had a GEO 618 once and it was to large. Once you filled it with a lb of GFO it still had 3/4 of the chamber left. I went with some smaller BRS stuff this time. I'm not sure if there are going to be any downfalls to this yet or not. Here is what I just added to my 500g system.

mike660r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricky

I too looked at the deltec, but too expensive for a tube of acrylic. Considered the Geo, but liked the PM better.

Good luck.
What about the PM did you like better?

The PM looks like a tube with a couple 90 elbows on top...like a giant TLF reactor...while the GEO is true bottom-up feed with a double union ball valve to control flow...

The SR55 is only rated at 250G...

Just curious...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Bricky
Registered Member

I like the fact that the PM reactor is similart to the TLF reactor. I also like screw off top and having the input/output on top ( this way the reactor doesn't drain when the supply pump is shut off). At the bottom of the reactor there is a vacuum formed plate that evenly distributes the incoming water too. That was something I wasn't expecting to see when I picked up this reactor.

If you fill this thing with GFO then you've got quite a big tank, at least bigger than 250 gallons. I also believe in 1-2 cups of carbon per 100g of water. I've got 900 gallons and could easily fit the necessary carbon in this reactor.

I'm personally using the reactor for Elos' Filtra M and will only use 4-5 liters of media and so this reactor fit my needs.

Hope my thoughts are useful.

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Vertex has a new media reactor out. I like the design on those.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Bob818
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Unread 08/27/2009, 10:57 AM   #11
vegaskid11
vegasreefers.com

Next Reef has some nice large reactors. I bought one of there dual chamber monster reactors and had them split them individually for me at there shop so they are individual chambers. They work great. I can fit 3 pounds of GFO in them if I wanted to. Of course I would go broke trying to run that amount.....

vegaskid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2009, 12:14 PM   #12
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

I went through several before finally settling on the Warner Marine media reactor. It has it's built-in pump and without that center tube, you can just drop in whatever you want in media bags. Much easier to maintain, clean, and change out the media.

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2009, 12:58 PM   #13
tylorarm
Premium Member

I have My Reef Creations media reactors, seem very well built. They go all the way up to 8"x22", more than enough. Can buy direct from their website.

tylorarm is offline   Reply With Quote