Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2016, 03:54 PM   #76
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpdriver View Post
very nice!...what made you decide to go with the Ocean Motion/Closed loop on this one?
I don't particularly like the look of pumps in the tank or having the cords dangling in there either.So I am hoping to get get a better result this way.Since I have been diving, I now have a better appreciation and understanding of how and what the current feels like,blasting with the biggest shiniest pump all the time is not the way to go.Strictly my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 09:31 PM   #77
jrpdriver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
I don't particularly like the look of pumps in the tank or having the cords dangling in there either.So I am hoping to get get a better result this way.Since I have been diving, I now have a better appreciation and understanding of how and what the current feels like,blasting with the biggest shiniest pump all the time is not the way to go.Strictly my opinion.
Fair enough, I personally think that the wide surge (almost top to bottom in a reef tank)that big power heads create while pulsing in wave-creation pattern, are more like the natural current in the shallow reefs, but I certainly appreciate what you are saying about a natural looking environment without visible pumps and cords.

jrpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 07:52 AM   #78
Apotack
Registered Member

Great job on the rock, it's going to look amazing

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 02:48 PM   #79
Editour2
Frank

Tagging along....so far so good !!!

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 04:32 PM   #80
geckoejon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
This is the company I got the levelers from:
www.levelingmounts.com. International Equipment Components.
My levelers are rated at 3000lb.
fantastic build!

may i trouble you for the exact levelers you used? i have a friend that is a welder by trade, and will fabricate a stand for my new 220g build. i need to make drawings, and come up with materials. i'm going cross eyed looking at all the levelers on that site. lol

i'm curious how you attached the levelers to the tubing?

Current Tank Info: 220g mixed reef & a red sea reefer bad fish tank :0)
geckoejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 04:42 PM   #81
fixmgood
Registered Member

I would be happy to help you, but first I need to know what size square tube and the wall thickness,your buddy should be able to give that to you (gauge size).

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
Unread 05/31/2016, 05:47 PM   #82
fixmgood
Registered Member

I spent literally the whole weekend with my wife trying to get the rockscape done.It was an extremely trying time.I guess we are nearly done.I have no idea how many times my wife tore the thing apart as in her eyes it was not right......oh well.Cleaned out and replaced filters for RO/Di unit and on Sunday morning started making up 250 gallons of water,I am now itching to get water into main display,which will still take another two days.I feel that the post office is moving faster than I am.

Unread 05/31/2016, 06:21 PM   #83
silentstorm
Registered Member

Wow... thats quite a come back! ... I wish you all the best going forward. Very Inspiring

I hope nobody was hurt in that tank disaster .. I cant imagine the force with which the glass pane would've fell out..

silentstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 12:15 PM   #84
TheAquatect
I Could Stop If I Wanted

Love how you came back from that disaster! Were your floors wood? Did you end up re-doing them with tile or something more water resistant? I am planning on doing tile on our first floor because of the tank. IMO, its only a matter of time before spills happen.

Filtration: NYOS Quantum 220
TheAquatect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2016, 02:38 PM   #85
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAquatect View Post
Love how you came back from that disaster! Were your floors wood? Did you end up re-doing them with tile or something more water resistant? I am planning on doing tile on our first floor because of the tank. IMO, its only a matter of time before spills happen.
When the tank came unglued,we had just completed a remodel of the downstairs.I pulled up the tile as I found it cold and hard,so no.After they tore out the new floor I replaced it with the same wood floor

Unread 06/05/2016, 12:20 PM   #86
fixmgood
Registered Member

Almost there finally.

Unread 06/06/2016, 05:13 AM   #87
breck
Registered Member

Love the rock setup. What did you use to hold it in place?

breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 03:22 PM   #88
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breck View Post
Love the rock setup. What did you use to hold it in place?
The left side base structure is held with Marco cement,I am going to do the same with the right side,which is still loose. The middle section is just balancing at the moment.I am going to make a base and acrylic rod to support the rock on the left,and the rest probably putty. The two islands,the top pieces need to be solid but able to move as I have a closed loop buried in there which will need to be adjusted. As soon as it is complete, hopefully in the next few days I will post a few more pics.Thanks for the interest.

Unread 06/11/2016, 11:18 PM   #89
fixmgood
Registered Member

I have finally started filling the tank whooooohoooooooo..... Should be done by late tomorrow or early Monday.

Unread 06/12/2016, 06:44 AM   #90
Hatonhed
Registered Member

That is the biggest challenge of a new tank, the whole waiting for it to fill process! Congratulations on the new tank

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon display with 20L sump
Hatonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 01:28 PM   #91
kutcha
Registered Member

looking great that old tank what size was it and what was determined to be the reason the front panel blew off?

kutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2016, 09:54 AM   #92
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutcha View Post
looking great that old tank what size was it and what was determined to be the reason the front panel blew off?
The old tank was the same size 96x36x30.Silicon failure.

Unread 06/21/2016, 03:53 PM   #93
Germanwerks
Registered Member

looking good ivan!! any updates?

Current Tank Info: 300 gal , 180gal sump
Germanwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 08:04 AM   #94
reefpimp#1
Registered Member

Looking good, I'm interested in your filter system. I'm building about the same size tank right now also. Was curious what others are running on this size tank.

reefpimp#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 09:44 AM   #95
fixmgood
Registered Member

It's been a while since I updated the post.Rock work finally got done added a sand bed,not very deep as my wife does not like a lot of sand,and of course I have to go along with that,did I hear whipped.Of course once I got the tank filled and added salt,there was the inevitable dripping from some of the pipes,I thought I had them all sealed on installation,I guess not,so I went through and resealed them all again,not so easy when all are in place already,managed to crack a few bulkheads that go through the wall,that was fun.
I added some bacteria and a fish fillet and let the cycle begin.I have also added some live rock to the sump.
I am really impressed with the Synergy overflow,it seems to be working like a champ and really quiet,I am equally impressed with the Red Dragon pumps,the noise is undetectable.I have three Sea Swirls plumbed as returns and they supply a nice flow pattern to the top of the tank.Closed loop also appears to be working great,rather difficult to tell as there is only rock in the tank.

Unread 06/23/2016, 09:53 AM   #96
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefpimp#1 View Post
Looking good, I'm interested in your filter system. I'm building about the same size tank right now also. Was curious what others are running on this size tank.
Thanks. You are going to have to be more specific.
The tank is plumbed outside into a 200 gallon sump,that was converted from my old tank.I installed some baffles and a space for 3 filter socks.I have a space on he far end for a refugium. My skimmer is gravity fed from the tank overflow.I plan on keeping the system simple as I think we get caught up in all the gizmos that are out there, in order to keep us in the poor house.

Unread 06/23/2016, 10:04 AM   #97
reefpimp#1
Registered Member

Got a pic of the sump? That's pretty much what i wanted to know. I'm running one overflow thru filter pads and other I'm gonna try to feed to my skimmer, then they'll hit fuge then overflow to return pump. Just not sure if it's gonna work with skimmer. I have a aqua medic T5000 twin that's 6'6" tall. Not sure if overflow will work cause of height.

reefpimp#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 10:39 AM   #98
fixmgood
Registered Member

Hope this helps,I will be happy to answer any other questions.

Unread 06/23/2016, 10:53 AM   #99
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

Looking good Ivan

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 04:20 PM   #100
fixmgood
Registered Member

Just got back from Reefapalooza New York. Had a great time got to talk to a lot of vendors and hobbyists,lots of cool new stuff. If you have never been to a RAP show put it on your list.
My tank is still cycling and I had no drama with it while I was gone. Never had to worry about it for the past 2 years or so, now every time I leave the worry starts up. Oh the joys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk