Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2017, 05:42 AM   #1
waynefort
Registered Member

povidone iodine and hydrogen peroxide reefsafe?

Hello, i want to asking about this two product for aquarium uses as some of specific aquarium treatment product is unavailable for now and i thinking about using few buck chemical in pharmacy instead a specific aquarium product can be beneficial or otherwise. Firstly is iodine, did povidone iodine safe for dipping coral ? I looking for a commercial product but our lfs are run of these product for now, i has read a product description in seachem website said their product contain iodine, and about the hydrogen peroxide, i heard from some people say this substance are good a remove algae and cyno, i also wonder if peroxide are safe to treat coral which smothed by filament algae?

waynefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 09:05 AM   #2
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Generally speaking, using a commercial coral dip to eliminate pests is much preferred over a do-it-yourself chemical mixture. In theory the correct amount of hydrogen peroxide and/or iodine in a coral dip would be OK for certain coral species, but there isn't much difference between effectiveness and toxicity. Not only that, but coral dips are designed to remove animal pests, such as flatworms, coral-eating copepods, etc...

I'm not aware of a product that would be effective at killing nuisance algae that wouldn't also kill the coral. A better method would be manual removal of the offending algae, including creatures in your tank that will eat pest algae, such as certain herbivorous fish, snails and crustaceans, and careful control of water parameters to prevent the re-growth of those algae.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 03:59 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that using Povidone would require a lot of care. I went with a commercial product (a SeaChem dip) for dipping new corals. Some people do use Lugol's solution as a dip, and there are instructions for its use in various places. I'd try one or the other, but someone might have experimented and found a safe protocol for using povidone.

Last edited by bertoni; 10/03/2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 12:05 AM   #4
immortl
Registered Member

If you search for peroxide dip you ought to find a good bit of info, I did a while back when I stumbled across the concept.

In my case it worked pretty well. Based on what I read, the concentrations used varied. I can only speak to my specific experience. I use a 50/50 mix of 3% peroxide solution (from what I recall this is rather high concentration) and tank water and dipped my, at the time neglected, sun coral in it, swirling it around, for 2 minutes. I did this once every 3 days or so for 3 treatments and the algae receded and was gone. Sun Coral did not appear any worse for wear.

Thanks,
Joe

immortl is offline   Reply With Quote