Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/07/2010, 10:32 PM   #1201
elijaher
Registered Member

What are using to measure your salinity?

Unread 04/07/2010, 10:53 PM   #1202
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijaher View Post
What are using to measure your salinity?
My fish guy is doing the measurements with his equipment so I can't answer that accurately at the moment. He can but he's not here.......all of the systems for managing and monitoring the ecosystem have not been acquired yet as we have been trying to arrive at the ideal starting configuration. When the time is right I will be consulting with the group on best options for each management layer. For the moment I am dealing with my live rock period before I can really pause that chapter to continue with the fish room activities.

Peter

Unread 04/08/2010, 08:26 AM   #1203
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

For those that haven't seen David Saxby's tank http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2682

Unread 04/08/2010, 09:08 AM   #1204
PauChi
Registered Member

Wow ... David Saxby does vodka dosing via his Nitrate reactor!! Impressive and I'm sure Peter (nineball) is sure to be up there amongst the Who's Who in the Reef Kingdom !! And to claim that We were part of the build up process too!! LOL

Paul

Unread 04/08/2010, 10:27 AM   #1205
stevek480
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Actually Capn not a bad idea......let me see...........fish food...........light bulbs........salt, yes salt I could probably use some salt!!!

I know you folks think it should be beer, but......................wait for it.................fish don't drink beer!!!!!!

Peter
Well I suppose you could always charge bottles of vodka as the price of admission then!

Unread 04/08/2010, 01:50 PM   #1206
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
For those that haven't seen David Saxby's tank http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2682
Thank you Mr. Wilson.........thats a great review.......and a good reference.
David Saxby is the undisputed father of the residential large coral tank.

Peter

Unread 04/08/2010, 02:15 PM   #1207
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauChi View Post
Wow ... David Saxby does vodka dosing via his Nitrate reactor!! Impressive and I'm sure Peter (nineball) is sure to be up there amongst the Who's Who in the Reef Kingdom !! And to claim that We were part of the build up process too!! LOL

Paul
Paul, it is a fact that everyone that has been participating in this thread(journey) can claim credit to its success. I'll back them personally. I am very proud of this group and I appreciate the phenomenal support. We do have however a lot of work to do before we can make any claim.

Day 6 and the live rock is still L I V E !!!!! It also does not smell bad and the colour is still strong. Arrangements are being made to bring in the third storage tank for the live rock rotation.........this weekend.

Peter

Unread 04/08/2010, 03:19 PM   #1208
mkbtank
Premium Member

Peter,

I love the idea of an interesting, viewable fishroom. What an exciting project this is. I am going tankless right now (a break after 12 years of 20-30 gallon water changes weekly) and have been getting my "Fix" by stopping by my LFS's and reading the boards. Thank you for sharing this build, and for your approach and "wordiness".

See, if I had planned and automated as well as you seem to be, my 300 would still be up! lol

Anyway.. thanks again. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

On another note - I will have to play you some one pocket for frags once I have a tank up again.... No stand in's

Unread 04/08/2010, 04:07 PM   #1209
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauChi View Post
Wow ... David Saxby does vodka dosing via his Nitrate reactor!!

Paul
That's how nitrate reactors work. They need a carbon source like ethanol (vodka), lactose, glucose or ascorbic acid.

Unread 04/08/2010, 04:09 PM   #1210
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbtank View Post
Peter,

I love the idea of an interesting, viewable fishroom. What an exciting project this is. I am going tankless right now (a break after 12 years of 20-30 gallon water changes weekly) and have been getting my "Fix" by stopping by my LFS's and reading the boards. Thank you for sharing this build, and for your approach and "wordiness".

See, if I had planned and automated as well as you seem to be, my 300 would still be up! lol

Anyway.. thanks again. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

On another note - I will have to play you some one pocket for frags once I have a tank up again.... No stand in's
Thank you mkbtank, I am sincereley appreciative of your support and encouragement. More pics to come for sure.........one pocket it is
Perhaps we will broadcast it with the tank in the background!!!!!
Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 05:34 AM   #1211
mkbtank
Premium Member

Ha! Sounds like a plan......

Unread 04/09/2010, 06:16 AM   #1212
ginrin
Registered Member

Congratulations and jubilations on starting and completing one of the best looking vision of art.You not only are willing to learn and be taught but you have surrounded yourself with competent players.I'm sure problems will come and go but your dedication and enthausism will turn them into lessons learnt.
If you ever allow viewing of your masterpiece,please put me on your list of invitees.Keep up the good work and enjoy the process.

Unread 04/09/2010, 01:55 PM   #1213
Antonais1391
Registered Member

reefing really should be considerd a fine art of sorts. the same way painting, sculpture and bonsai are. and hurry up need pics!!

Unread 04/09/2010, 03:18 PM   #1214
elijaher
Registered Member

Peter check out this thread. Aquascaping, Show your Skills.

Unread 04/09/2010, 03:37 PM   #1215
robot2222
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Paul, it is a fact that everyone that has been participating in this thread(journey) can claim credit to its success. I'll back them personally. I am very proud of this group and I appreciate the phenomenal support. We do have however a lot of work to do before we can make any claim.

Day 6 and the live rock is still L I V E !!!!! It also does not smell bad and the colour is still strong. Arrangements are being made to bring in the third storage tank for the live rock rotation.........this weekend.

Peter
long live rock quote pete townsend

Unread 04/09/2010, 06:54 PM   #1216
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Congrats on be voted April's Thread of the Month!

A link to your thread has been added to Reefkeeping Blog's .

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Unread 04/09/2010, 07:48 PM   #1217
nineball
Registered Member

Brian, thank you very much. I was cookin up some new SW for my live rock and felt that I was not doing it alone but that the community that has formed around this thread was there helping John and I get everything ready. The upside is that because of this forum I am doing the right thing. The downside is that I'm convinced that because of this community I'm never going to sleep again. I sort of feel like I've just entered the twilight zone. I smells very very fishy to me.............

But thank you for the honour..........

Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 07:59 PM   #1218
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginrin View Post
Congratulations and jubilations on starting and completing one of the best looking vision of art.You not only are willing to learn and be taught but you have surrounded yourself with competent players.I'm sure problems will come and go but your dedication and enthausism will turn them into lessons learnt.
If you ever allow viewing of your masterpiece,please put me on your list of invitees.Keep up the good work and enjoy the process.
Thank you ginrin. At a point where there is sufficient substance to this dream I will share it with those who might care. I am humbled by your sentiments. If this bar is going to be raised I suspect its going to be a group effort that does it. Welcome to our community.

Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 08:01 PM   #1219
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter. Congratulation.
Way to go!

Unread 04/09/2010, 08:11 PM   #1220
elijaher
Registered Member

Congratulation, Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 08:25 PM   #1221
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonais1391 View Post
reefing really should be considerd a fine art of sorts. the same way painting, sculpture and bonsai are. and hurry up need pics!!
Hey Antonais, fine art takes time pics are simmerin and will be out soon.

Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 08:27 PM   #1222
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Peter check out this thread. Aquascaping, Show your Skills.
Will do elijaher......thank you.

Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 08:38 PM   #1223
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Peter. Congratulation.
Way to go!
Thank you Chingchai, I think everyone who is part of this community knows very well we owe this honour to you. You are the precident to all our dreams for this hobby. Thank you for your example, we are all better for it.

Your friend

Peter.

Unread 04/09/2010, 08:39 PM   #1224
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Congratulation, Peter
Thank you elijaher. Everyone deserves credit.

Peter

Unread 04/09/2010, 10:55 PM   #1225
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Brian, thank you very much. I was cookin up some new SW for my live rock and felt that I was not doing it alone but that the community that has formed around this thread was there helping John and I get everything ready. The upside is that because of this forum I am doing the right thing. The downside is that I'm convinced that because of this community I'm never going to sleep again. I sort of feel like I've just entered the twilight zone. I smells very very fishy to me.............

But thank you for the honour..........

Peter
It's well deserved! Now let's see some water in that tank .

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Closed Thread