Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2007, 11:26 PM   #1
myst
Premium Member

Yellow Wrasse reef safe?

I also have a baby Blue Tang, clown goby, and a pair of black & white clowns, with some soft corals.

myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2007, 06:47 AM   #2
RokleM
Registered Member

I've heard mixed reviews on their aggressiveness, but I can state mine is very coral friendly. He's actually the primary inhabitant of my frag tank.

Not a great picture, but here's my Yellow Corris Wrasse hanging out in the frag tank (right side).

Unread 08/28/2007, 07:34 AM   #3
prugs
Moving Out

I have a model citizen as well. A very beneficial cleaner of nasties.

Current Tank Info: Getting rid of the last equipment :{
prugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2007, 09:01 AM   #4
myst
Premium Member

Thanks, mine seems to be doing well, nipping at the rocks all day long and has also eaten the mysis I fed the tank.

My specimen has 4 black spots from the front of the top fin to the tail, is this a different type? Most of the ones I have seen only have 1 spot.

myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2007, 12:03 PM   #5
RokleM
Registered Member

Mine has 3, maybe 4, and also has a white underside. There are so many names for this fish (and I've seen two different species call it), it's hard to tell. I'm no expert on this one ;

Unread 08/28/2007, 12:59 PM   #6
copps
Premium Member

These are two different fish, neither of which are in the Coris genus. That is a long misused common name for these guys. Unlike Coris genus wrasses, these guys stay small and are ideal for aquariums. I believe the sometimes "not reef safe" designation on these guys comes from them sometimes posing a danger to small ornamental shrimp, but I've never seen this behavior.

The one I have (and prugs' above) is Halichoeres chrysus from the Western Pacific mainly. The one with the white underbelly that RokleM shows is the closely related Halichoeres leucoxanthus from the Indian Ocean (although their distribution overlaps with H. chrysus in Indonesia). Both are identical in behavior and everything else.

Smaller specimens have three spots (four if you include their eye) that they will lose as they mature... same fish though.

Anyway, here's my guy from last year when he was a little guy... thus all the spots, with my female Centropyge colini in the background...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2007, 02:43 PM   #7
xxtriggermanxx
Registered Member

Not to steal the thread, but copps do you have a more recent picture ? I hear the head of this fish will start to change and have a striped look to it. is this true?

xxtriggermanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2007, 02:57 PM   #8
RokleM
Registered Member

Mine has a very faint rainbow of what I'd refer to as "pastel" colors. They are primarily on the cheek per say (start right behind the eye and go straight backwards).

Unread 08/28/2007, 03:22 PM   #9
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxtriggermanxx
Not to steal the thread, but copps do you have a more recent picture ? I hear the head of this fish will start to change and have a striped look to it. is this true?
No recent shots, but this is true. On these two species it's just as Rokle states... very faint... even in the most stud of males... Another very close relative in the same genus that enters the hobby from Kenya is Halichoeres iridis, commonly known as the radiant wrasse... same habits as these two species but the body is red and the face is yellow with a much more pronounced facial pattern, even on small individuals. The price tag is higher because plane tickets for fish from Kenya are expensive, but it's still in the $50 range... Here's a recent shot of my friend Sanjay's radiant wrasse... a stunner!

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 08/28/2007, 04:36 PM   #10
thor32766
Registered Member

have a friend with one who has been a model citizen.

click on my red house to see my tang compound!

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon in Wall!
thor32766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2007, 09:02 PM   #11
Akrite
Registered Member

I've sen these fish alot and always wanted one.

Akrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2007, 09:15 PM   #12
LukFox
Registered Member

My LFS has a full grown adult in their frag tank with really bright and distinct facial markings like that of the radiant wrasse posted above. I once had a mid-sized one that was beginning to get its mask until my radiant wrasse decided she didn't want him around anymore.

LukFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Bret61081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
These are two different fish, neither of which are in the Coris genus. That is a long misused common name for these guys. Unlike Coris genus wrasses, these guys stay small and are ideal for aquariums. I believe the sometimes "not reef safe" designation on these guys comes from them sometimes posing a danger to small ornamental shrimp, but I've never seen this behavior.

The one I have (and prugs' above) is Halichoeres chrysus from the Western Pacific mainly. The one with the white underbelly that RokleM shows is the closely related Halichoeres leucoxanthus from the Indian Ocean (although their distribution overlaps with H. chrysus in Indonesia). Both are identical in behavior and everything else.

Smaller specimens have three spots (four if you include their eye) that they will lose as they mature... same fish though.

Anyway, here's my guy from last year when he was a little guy... thus all the spots, with my female Centropyge colini in the background...

I hate to steal the thread but how long have you had the colini angel and hows it doing! Ive always loved this fish but they dont have a very good track record....expecially for the price!

Bret61081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2007, 08:44 AM   #14
650-IS350
Registered Member

The yellow coris ( bananna wrasse, canary wrasse ) is being used by a lot of zoanthid keepers now to control a lot of pests such as nudis and a bunch of other zoanthid eaters.

I also plan to get a pair myself.. plus the added color in my tank too.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2007, 09:51 AM   #15
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bret61081
I hate to steal the thread but how long have you had the colini angel and hows it doing! Ive always loved this fish but they dont have a very good track record....expecially for the price!
I've had this pair since last year that I received from Frank Baensch of www.rcthawaii.com. This is the pair he spawned back in 2005 and remains the only C. colini ever successfully spawned in captivity (male is on the right). This species is widespread but uncommon throughout its range and found in deep water. Most wild collected individuals do not adapt as a result of improper collection and handling. These guys were properly collected in Fiji and continue to thrive. It's a very unique dwarf angel relative to others... sort of like the Paracentropyge subgenus...

Sorry for the mini jack!

Unread 08/30/2007, 02:26 PM   #16
u418936
Registered Member

I've had a yellow coris wrasse for a couple of years. He never bother corals, but as he's grown, he's developed a strong taste for small hermit crabs. His small snout is perfect for digging crabs out of their shells. Luckily, he doesn't bother big crabs or snails, so I haven't had to remove him from my aquarium.

u418936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 11:29 AM   #17
karl
Registered Member

I was looking at a Halichoeres leucoxanthus (white belly according to copps) at the store on Monday. what a beautiful fish, but particularly because of the spots...how long before they loose their spots?

karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:15 PM   #18
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
I was looking at a Halichoeres leucoxanthus (white belly according to copps) at the store on Monday. what a beautiful fish, but particularly because of the spots...how long before they loose their spots?
This thread is four years old. Might have a hard time getting the original posters to respond. Wish I could help you.

Advice to new hobbyists: listen to people that have a tank you would like to have one day, not to those with a high post count.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon in-wall (build thread is my homepage).
frankpayne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 03:32 PM   #19
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
The spots will get progressively smaller and go away at around four inches or a little more give or take... still a beautiful fish though... Oh and the Centropyge colini pair mentioned above four years ago is still spawning nightly for me!

Unread 02/18/2011, 06:39 AM   #20
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Halichoeres leucoxanthus

anybody know of this species being kept successfully in a group/harem ?

will mature individuals bother emerald crabs?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2013, 06:40 PM   #21
incloud
Registered Member

Anyone know if the yellow coris wrasse will get along with a six line wrasse. I saw one today and after reading up on them, would love to add one to my reef. My six line is very mellow and has only shown short aggression toward a cleaner wrasse I had. It slowly starved I think because it just disappeared. Thanks for any input. Really like this fish.

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2013, 10:10 AM   #22
prugs
Moving Out

Sixline's are just plain evil IMO. It will most likely kill the yellow wrasse.

Current Tank Info: Getting rid of the last equipment :{
prugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2013, 07:09 PM   #23
Laddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incloud View Post
Anyone know if the yellow coris wrasse will get along with a six line wrasse. I saw one today and after reading up on them, would love to add one to my reef. My six line is very mellow and has only shown short aggression toward a cleaner wrasse I had. It slowly starved I think because it just disappeared. Thanks for any input. Really like this fish.
This is a relative question, as in a 300g I would have no problem mixing a wrasse or two, but in, say a 75g you're asking for trouble in my opinion.....one will probably jump.

Hobbies: I enjoy moving water from point A, to point B, back to point A

WANTED: True ATL Appleberry Palawanensis Frag, PM me.

Current Tank Info: Current Build: 180 Reef; 55 holding tank
Laddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 01:29 PM   #24
jerseyboy
Registered Member

the one with a white belly is a different species. I have heard it called a merinque wrasse

jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 01:31 PM   #25
jerseyboy
Registered Member

I have a yellow coris 3 1/2"-4 1/2", 8 lined wrasse 2" and a hogan wrasse 2" in a 110 gal and have no problems with aggression

jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote