Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Maverick2009
Moved On

Solid Vodka Dosing Pellets

Has anyone ever used these? Looks like an easier approach to dosing.

Maverick2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 08:13 PM   #2
elijaher
Registered Member

Have you chek out this thread? http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=solid+vodka

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Maverick2009
Moved On

Yep, read that the other day and it made me want to try it. It kinda looks like an easier Zeo system.

Maverick2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2011, 10:23 PM   #4
kingfisherflesh
Registered Member

Been reading through a lot of these threads recently on here...anyone know of one that has a lot of mixed, long term experiences with them?

There is one for ecobak, but its not very well organized, and is lacking pictures, and specific numbers/values on results.

Some things have sounded really positive, while others sound downright depressing.

kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 08:09 AM   #5
bradleym
Registered Member

There's a Q&A happening locally next month with a guy whose been trying it. I can't say what or where though because he's not with SLASH. If an officer or Mod wants to promote it they can but I'm neither. But if you look around RC you may find it on your own.

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 10:47 AM   #6
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

I've had some BRS pellets going on two months now. I never had the bacteria bloom which seems to plague a lot of new pellet users, but my nitrates and phosphates weren't sky high to begin with. My nitrates have gone to ~0 (<5 on API kit), and I think my phosphates have been dropping as well (haven't tested them in a couple of weeks). It's hard to say if my SPS growth has taken off with such a short sample period, but polyp extension does look pretty good so far and I can definitely tell some things are starting to grow again - I had a few pieces with a lot of die off and can already see where they're starting to grow back from a few surviving patches.

I also feel like I've been able to feed more heavily without impacting NO3/PO4. Whether my improved SPS luck is due to lower NO3/PO4 levels or more food or both is hard to say, but I would at least venture to say that the pellets have been beneficial for my tank so far. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Current Tank Info: 144 gallon half cylinder, 40 gal sump, mixed reef, 2x250W MH
jjwill_sdsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 12:15 PM   #7
tall_jason79
Registered Member

Any issues with clumping? I noticed while reading through numerous threads is that many people experience the bio pellets clumping together. This lead to many people "shaking" their reactors to get the clumps to break apart. The smaller pieces then travel to the display and in many cases causing cyano to form? What reactor are you using with your current set up?

tall_jason79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 01:13 PM   #8
soh15
Registered Member

I have been using 500ml from BRS in a BRS reactor. Love them. Water is very clear, NO3/PO levels down to 0. They will clump if set level after they start to work (30days). I found if you tilt the reactor at a small angle they will roll like you need them to, They make a loop/ circle. Had some cyano at first but dialed the maxjet1200 back a little and no more cyano. Tank is a 120 with 40gal sump. Corals look great, better then ever, really color up. Key for me was a slow tumble and wait... I am using GFO with them also.

soh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 02:07 PM   #9
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

Yup, I'm using the BRS reactor with the special insert as well. I haven't noticed any clumping yet... Do they normally float to the top? I have mine running off of my manifold so I'm not sure how much flow I'm running through them, but they've been tumbling nicely. I also have the outlet from the reactor running to near my skimmer intake, so I'm guessing that might help to reduce the risk of a cyano outbreak.

Unread 01/27/2011, 06:46 PM   #10
tall_jason79
Registered Member

my skimmer is external so i thought i could T the skimmer feed and dump the reactor directly to the skimmer. Any thoughts?

Unread 01/29/2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Aqua Man 07
fastest reefer on 2wheels

so if you use the pellets do you still use carbon or gfo

Aqua Man 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2011, 06:36 PM   #12
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Man 07 View Post
so if you use the pellets do you still use carbon or gfo
I'm still using both right now. I don't think there's any problem with carbon, but I think I have heard some suggest to stop GFO at least to start with... something about needing at least some PO4 to get the bacteria started and populating.

Unread 01/29/2011, 06:43 PM   #13
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall_jason79 View Post
my skimmer is external so i thought i could T the skimmer feed and dump the reactor directly to the skimmer. Any thoughts?
That sounds reasonable to me... I'm assuming you mean the skimmer will receive a mixture of some unfiltered water and all of the return from the reactor.

I have heard suggestions that some of the bacteria coming out of the reactor might serve as good coral food, but I'm not 100% sure how much weight there is to that claim or whether plumbing the reactor outlet directly to the skimmer could skim out all escaping bacteria anyway... but just something to think about.

Unread 01/29/2011, 07:56 PM   #14
tall_jason79
Registered Member

well from what i have read you want the output of the reactor to drain next to the skimmer to pull the bacteria that has escaped to prevent a bloom of sorts?

Unread 01/29/2011, 08:42 PM   #15
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

Yup, I think you definitely want the majority of your reactor output to go to your skimmer. I'm just unsure if you want 100% to go to your skimmer, or if a little slipping by might be good. My skimmer is in-sump, and I just have the reactor outlet hose pointing to within a couple inches of the skimmers intake, but I'm sure there's a fair amount that doesn't get sucked in. I haven't looked enough at people's experience with externally fed skimmers and pellet reactors to know how most are doing it...