Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2020, 07:30 PM   #1
scotbehot
Registered Member

Smile Looking to stock my 125

All,

I had a bit of a break from the hobby, but am now looking forward to jumping back in. Right now I am thinking fish only and eventually looking towards some of the easier corals (until the addiction takes over). I am planning to convert my 125 back to salt. This is what I was thinking about stocking it with. I would love any and all feedback to include order of introduction and any compatibility concerns people might foresee.

Thanks

My list:
1 Powder Brown tang (favorite fish)
1 Kole tang
3 to 5 Ignitus Anthias or blue green chromis
1 pink spotted goby
3 pearlscale butterflies
2 ocellaris clownfish and one bubble tip anemone.
1 blue spotted or Valentini puffer
1 coral beauty or flame angel
3 to 5 camel shrimp or sexy shrimp
1 chocolate chip starfish
1 red linckia or Red Sea star.

Obviously A clean up crew once the tank is ready. Was looking at the reef cleaners package.

I am a big fan of the color variety of a lot of these fish.

Last edited by scotbehot; 04/06/2020 at 07:57 PM.
scotbehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 10:18 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

People will tell you the Powder Brown really needs at least a 180 gal, but I think you'll be fine. The starfish you have picked out typically don't survive long-term.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 06:07 AM   #3
scotbehot
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely look at some other starfish.

Unread 04/07/2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Don't get inverts above what food your tank can NOW provide. Hermits and snails at first. DOn't know this puffer's habits, but the ones I know would have lunch on fish fins. And butterflies are notoriously hard to feed and prone to die on you. Be sure your tank is providing what they graze on. For the rest, granted you have good swimming space, I'd start with the easiest, proceed to the next, and install your bossiest fish last. As your tank matures you may be able to feed the more delicate ones.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 10:05 AM   #5
scotbehot
Registered Member

Definitely plan on taking my time and assuring there is enough food for them to eat. The puffers I chose were listed as peaceful and do not get anywhere near as big as say the dog face or Stars and Stripes. I really appreciate the advice on the order of species introduction. Thanks.

Unread 04/07/2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Mmmm, wait. Peppermint shrimp, not camel shrimp if you have corals or anemones. Camel shrimp tend to pick at and annoy same. Peps can be a pain, but generally no worse, and will go after all but one aiptasia if you have any turn up. I swear the creatures 'farm' the last one to get tasty babies.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote