Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2017, 02:15 PM   #1
gtguy256
Registered Member

Mp40 placement

I have an acrylic aquarium 32" wide x 24" deep x 30" tall. It has a center overflow on the back wall. The rock work is very open and maybe comes up 20" high. I do plan on adding more rock for height. I am asking for suggestions on placement and settings for two mp40. thanks.

gtguy256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 02:37 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

I placed mine on a shelf in the garage after I got my Gyre 250's.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Potatohead
Registered Member

On each side, one towards the front and one towards the back, maybe 10" from the top.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 11:20 PM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
On each side, one towards the front and one towards the back, maybe 10" from the top.
^This

Also, I would sync them and run in lagoon.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 12:30 AM   #5
nycman
Registered Member

best position? In the original box and shipped back. too unreliable.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 06:30 PM   #6
gtguy256
Registered Member

How is this in any way helpful?

gtguy256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 07:32 PM   #7
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtguy256 View Post
How is this in any way helpful?
I bought three last summer and they are now all out of the tank. Could not keep either side from falling off. I replaced with Neptune WAVs and so far so good. Much better product.

Aqua UV 28W
Unread 01/15/2018, 11:08 PM   #8
Lsufan
Registered Member

They don’t just fall off for no reason, unless u don’t size them correctly or have a huge tank with really thick glass. A little research before purchasing & they say the maximum glass thickness for each one

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:09 PM   #9
HBtank
Premium Member

IME (people who can’t even keep sides synced) it is usually the wrong spacers, wrong sized pumps for their glass, or upgrading early generation pumps to QD (and Ecotech really should not have done the latter IMO). Bet he really needed MP60s and pushed 40s on thick glass; no doubt there are limitations for very large tanks, or tanks with thick glass for their size ( and people buy the pump based on gallons and not glass)

Anyway, opposite sides is where people generally start (and the random lagoon or reef crest modes), your rock structure will dictate placement on each side, but they need to be down a good amount to avoid pulling air.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 01/16/2018 at 01:25 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:23 PM   #10
MrsReefK
Registered Member

I have had the same experience, it’s on the glass thickness that matters. If you are having issues, it’s likely you have the wrong PH. We run 2 MP 60’s on our 8’ tank and 2 MP10’s in our QTs and another MP10 in our mixing tank and couldn’t be happier with their performance (and ability to stay in place).

As mentioned, most start on opposing sides lengthwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 04:21 PM   #11
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
They don’t just fall off for no reason, unless u don’t size them correctly or have a huge tank with really thick glass. A little research before purchasing & they say the maximum glass thickness for each one
I did the research. I have 3/4 inch glass and Ecotech specifies MP40s on 3/4 inch glass without spacers.

Aqua UV 28W
Unread 01/16/2018, 04:38 PM   #12
nozleman
Registered Member

I have 4 mp40 on my take with 3/4 glass. They have worked perfect for 3 years and sps calcium reactor beating them up! Sounds like operator error for sure!! Maybe a little time with research might help you!

nozleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 06:26 PM   #13
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman View Post
I did the research. I have 3/4 inch glass and Ecotech specifies MP40s on 3/4 inch glass without spacers.
The maximum on their tolerance, no wiggle room on materials or installation error, you break out the calipers on your tank? Perfect alignment? No films or weirdness from algae w/e? Some other magnet nearby? Etc. etc.. etc

MP60s make more sense on 6 foot tanks and 3/4 glass so you are not pushing the upper range, that way you don’t end up as that outlier with some set of conditions or problems that make them operate oddly in your tank. That is like their sweet spot and they would have been perfect.. and saved money/time and been happy from the start.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 01/16/2018 at 06:45 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:40 PM   #14
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

If in a smaller tank under 36" wide place in the back corners. If your tank is longer than 48" then place on opposite ends of the tank. Sync them together and run in reef crest or gyre mode.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 09:43 PM   #15
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
The maximum on their tolerance, no wiggle room on materials or installation error, you break out the calipers on your tank? Perfect alignment? No films or weirdness from algae w/e? Some other magnet nearby? Etc. etc.. etc

MP60s make more sense on 6 foot tanks and 3/4 glass so you are not pushing the upper range, that way you don’t end up as that outlier with some set of conditions or problems that make them operate oddly in your tank. That is like their sweet spot and they would have been perfect.. and saved money/time and been happy from the start.
Yes, correct, and helpful. MP60s would have been a safer bet. BTW the Neptune WAVs I mount on the back wall and angle them. You can get more metrics from them (temp, slippage, and flow).

Aqua UV 28W

Tags
ecotech, flow, mp40, power head