Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Leopard wrasse

I got a leopard wrasse about 3 weeks ago and he is doing fine but isn't really eating pellets yet but he ate a couple the other day any tips on how to get him to eat the pellets. also if you have or had a leopard wrasse in the past leave your experiences here!

Joshua I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 01:14 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If the tank has sufficient pod population they dont need pellets,etc...
Is it out actively hunting?...
Its likely fine and will eat pellets when needed..

Unread 06/21/2018, 01:16 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

By far my most favorite reef safe fish. I had a pair (sadly the female passed a couple weeks ago) that rid my tank of a flatworm infestation in short order.

Try soaking the pellets in Selcon, or even in with some frozen spirolina or something to make them a bit more enticing. Use very small pellets too. For a long time mine would only eat the NLS .5mm. He's now big enough that the 1mm are perfect.

Like mcgyvr said - if it is out cruising the reef, it is almost certainly eating while picking at the rocks. My is out on the prowl all day every day.

If you don't yet - you MUST put a cover on your tank! Eggcrate squares are way too big - they'll slip through them first try. The 1/4" mesh from BRS and a DIY top is your best option for that IMO. It will also benefit from a few inches of fairly fine sand to sleep in.

hth

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 01:28 PM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

Sadly I lost my leopard and all my fish to ich! One of the best fish I've ever had, you could set your watch to her on her sleeping habits. 1/2 before lights out she would dive into the sand. The second the lights came on, she was out hunting.

As billdogg mentioned, try soaking in selcon. Mine just started eating pellets one day when she saw the rest of the fish eating them.

As long as it's out cruising around and pecking at the rocks, it's eating.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 02:39 PM   #5
d2mini
Registered Member

They have tiny mouths. Hopefully those are tiny pellets.
I feed mine Larry's Reef Frenzy or Rod's Food. They have a mix of particle sizes.
You could also supplement with some Cyclops.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Mine used to eat only pods and colonista snails. Now she eats everything, including hikari jumbo sized mysis. It just picks one and smash it to the rocks until it breaks into smaller pieces that it can ingest. So yeah, they have small mouths, but they are also resourceful when happy. The trick is to have enough micro fauna for the first 6 months or so, until they get accustomed to prepared foods.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 08:12 PM   #7
mfinn
Registered Member

I don't think I've ever seen any of my leopard wrasses eat pellets. At least not 2 in a row.

Unread 06/21/2018, 10:20 PM   #8
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I set my 90 gal. up for leopard wrasses and Mandarins. One of the outflows is in the far end at the bottom. I simply squirt food into the pump intake, and it flows across the tank bottom. Now, if I can only find a leopard wrasse....

I'm surprised leopard wrasses eat dry food.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 12:10 AM   #9
Joshua I.
Registered Member

the pellets I'm using are small and she is out hunting actively I have pods in the tank and small snails and it will eat any kind of small frozen shrimp like brine or mysis but I'm going away for a week coming up and am not sure what to do any advice? Also should I get another someone said they would do better in a group and would you guys recommend getting pods from algae barn but mind you I don't have a sump

Unread 06/22/2018, 01:26 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post

If you don't yet - you MUST put a cover on your tank! Eggcrate squares are way too big - they'll slip through them first try. The 1/4" mesh from BRS and a DIY top is your best option for that IMO. It will also benefit from a few inches of fairly fine sand to sleep in.

hth
+1 on the cover and1/4 inch. I had 1/2 inch over the center section of my tank and 1/4 on the two sides. My Red Head Salon was found one day on top of the 1/2 netting.

Yes, all 3 sections are now 1/4 inch.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 01:33 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

I have had success converting fish to pellets by starting (in TTM tank!) feeding Mysis and (if you can find it) Cyclopeas nand slowly adding pellets to the mix.

All my Wrasses are eating my homemade frozen and if I go away I set up the auto feeders to feed pellets. I have never seen my Possum eat prepared foods so (S)he must be finding enough to eat.

I don't have Leopards but have been considering a couple. Maybe they are just more difficult to convert?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 01:55 PM   #12
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Check these out.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hcs3/index.php

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2369454

HTH.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I have had success converting fish to pellets by starting (in TTM tank!) feeding Mysis and (if you can find it) Cyclopeas nand slowly adding pellets to the mix.

All my Wrasses are eating my homemade frozen and if I go away I set up the auto feeders to feed pellets. I have never seen my Possum eat prepared foods so (S)he must be finding enough to eat.

I don't have Leopards but have been considering a couple. Maybe they are just more difficult to convert?
I find them very easy to convert. All my leopards converted to pellets and flakes without any special attention. The issue with them is; first to find healthy specimens, and second to have enough macrofauna to sustain it for above 3-6 months until it starts eating prepared foods. Mine are like pigs, they eat so much and so fast that I feel like other fish sometimes dont have time to eat enough. They also steal food from corals and feeding sticks .

Overall, it think most leopard wrasses arrive to shops in such a poor condition that they are beyond recovery. If you find healthy one, I think they are very hardy and easy to take care.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Well good news I saw her eating the pellets today! Thanks for all the advice guys.