Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2020, 05:33 PM   #1326
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You should! I think a lot of people would be interested in what you're doing.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2020, 10:46 PM   #1327
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The back wall is getting pretty jungle-y. Lots of algae diversity. It's chaos. I want it to get shaggy before I add the next fish. I still prune it but it spreads. I'm going with it! Plus I'm still favoring some of the greens to spread, like the turtle weed, aka maiden's hair. I'm very much enjoying my fake wall. It's a living puzzle that should keep me occupied for years!

My string of pearls plant is recovering well, putting out new pearls. I noticed two frags still growing from where I removed it. Over time, I'm spreading this plant around.

I'm still hoping my disappeared ulva intesinalis pops up again somewhere. My other ulva did that. If not, I may try another one, and try a different location.

I think I'll give the red macros a good pruning this weekend. While I'm at it, I'll relocate some the caulerpa verticillata (petticoat) to the seagrasses and maybe some more on the back wall. Of all the caulerpas, this may be my favorite. It's so delicate and moves pleasingly in the current.

Not much growth with the new codium and tufted joint algae. They don't look to be dying either, so I'll reserve judgement. A little more time might help.

The mangrove trees have put out new leaves, and gotten taller. I'd estimate they're six to seven inches from the water surface. I keep wondering if they're going to make it, and they keep growing.

The manatee grass is gradually growing taller. I think I have a good spread of plants now. I'll have to get some pics this weekend.

Unread 03/21/2020, 08:32 PM   #1328
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 03/21/2020, 08:35 PM   #1329
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 03/21/2020, 09:51 PM   #1330
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Snapped a few pics:

The whole enchilada.

Tufted Joint Algae or Cymopolia barbata.

Artsy.

Seagrasses with other green favorites.

Unread 03/22/2020, 07:42 AM   #1331
vlangel
Registered Member

Love the pics Michael. The FTS with the green of the grasses/macros and the reds on the right and the the blue and black & white from the damsels is simply stunning in such a simple beautiful way! Elegant simplicity and yet intricately diverse. I love it!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2020, 07:48 AM   #1332
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! It's coming along.

Unread 03/23/2020, 05:21 PM   #1333
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I doubt it was noticeable in my pics, but I took the scissors to most of my red grapes plants. They were getting kinda ratty and faded. Scroll back up to the FTS and you can see the two front rocks have a lot less growing on them. I expect they'll grow back. I relocated more of the Caulerpa verticillata to the back wall and grass bed as well.

If things keep going as they are, I could reach my vision for this tank pretty soon! All I'm lacking at this point is better plant coverage on the back wall, taller and denser growth of the Manatee grass and a more robust ground cover coverage, between the grasses. That shouldn't take more than a couple of months…

Unread 03/24/2020, 04:54 AM   #1334
vlangel
Registered Member

Michael, that is exciting that you are nearing your finished vision for this tank. One thing I was wondering is did you ever get the wave maker going to give the tank that rhythmic waving of the grasses back and forth? If not is that still part of the final vision?

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 03/24/2020, 07:24 AM   #1335
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Yes, the wave box has been running all along, giving me the lovely back and forth water movement. It's the main circulation pump on a closed loop that I've yet to get running. Just about every solution I can think of requires that I drain the tank, so I haven't done it. I also came to the realization that my main pump is too loud for my living room, so I'm looking at other pumps. Once I have a pump and a solid plan, then I can look at draining down the tank and making whatever mods are needed. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make that happen, but I want to.

As for the vision thing, I was mostly just talking about the plant-scape. I'm getting pretty close to what I want, in that regard. Lots of other stuff to do, like get more fish and inverts. For now, I'm just trying to facilitate plant growth that I want, while weeding out what I don't.

Unread 03/24/2020, 12:34 PM   #1336
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks Dawn. Yes, the wave box has been running all along, giving me the lovely back and forth water movement. It's the main circulation pump on a closed loop that I've yet to get running. Just about every solution I can think of requires that I drain the tank, so I haven't done it. I also came to the realization that my main pump is too loud for my living room, so I'm looking at other pumps. Once I have a pump and a solid plan, then I can look at draining down the tank and making whatever mods are needed. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make that happen, but I want to.

As for the vision thing, I was mostly just talking about the plant-scape. I'm getting pretty close to what I want, in that regard. Lots of other stuff to do, like get more fish and inverts. For now, I'm just trying to facilitate plant growth that I want, while weeding out what I don't.
Thanks for the clarification. Now I remember that I should have known that you had the wave maker going because I asked about you making a video so we all could enjoy that lovely rhythmic motion. Hhhm, we would still enjoy that video.

That make sense that this phase of establishing the plant life is nearing your vision. Everything in its season right? That is how the bio-life that is so integral to your system is established so I should have known that there were more phases to follow, ha ha!

I am not as young as I used to be so you will have to pardon me for forgetting details about your tank. Ha ha, I don't always remember details about my own tank these days!

Unread 03/24/2020, 01:07 PM   #1337
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know what you mean, forgetting details with age. I find I have reread posts so as to not make erroneous points about stuff that wasn't even said! You are hereby pardoned.

Unread 03/28/2020, 09:04 AM   #1338
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Michael,
Take a look @ the Varios line of DC pumps.
They get good reviews & are quiet.

Unread 03/28/2020, 09:23 AM   #1339
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Vinny, I'll check them out.

Unread 04/08/2020, 10:45 AM   #1340
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Healthy greetings, everyone. I hope you all are doing well, being smart and staying safe.

Not a lot to report lately. Ironically, I've been doing less tank maintenance, during lockdown. I did a little export over the weekend. Mostly Dictoya, which has spread itself all around the tank. I'm not trying to eradicate it - just keep it under control. I let it grow a little bigger now, which makes it easier to remove. I remove the ones that are shading or crowding desirable plants. In one spot on the wall, where I removed several plants, some unknown, new ones are popping up. They are small, green and stubby. My first guess was that it is Neomeris Annulata. Now I'm leaning towards it being Codium. Either one would be fine with me.

I'm a little torn between wanting to prune more, and wanting to let the plants get overgrown, in anticipation of getting a new, herbivorous fish. But with the uncertainty of everything, I'm not inclined to go fish shopping anytime soon.

With Springtime arriving, I'm anticipating a growth spurt from the Manatee Grass. In preparation, I'd like to get rid of some of the other plants on the sand bed. This will allow me to see better where manatee grass plants are, and where there are gaps. It'll be a big job and will probably take a few days to do it. It's tedious, back-breaking work. It's going to require some serious gumption. Posting here is the first step. Next, I'll make a list and a plan. Then, there'll be nothing left to do but do it.

Unread 04/08/2020, 04:33 PM   #1341
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Hi Michael; nows a good time to have a hobby like ours, being stuck inside much more than usual.

Heading into winter down under, unfortunately. Getting too cool for the beach now.

Tanks looking good.

Cheers.

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2020, 09:21 PM   #1342
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey Steve! I agree. I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to work on my tank everyday. Spring is my least favorite season here in Colorado. Not enough snow to ski, too muddy to ride my bike. So I'm eating lots of baked goods and getting fat.

The tanks doing well, thanks! Cheers!

Unread 04/15/2020, 09:41 AM   #1343
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sorry that I haven't been around in a while. I have a lot of catching up to do. Work has kept me really busy. I hope you are well, Michael, and everyone else that frequents your thread. I just wanted to pop in and say hey. Once I go back and read the posts since the last time I was here, then I will chime in again.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2020, 09:56 AM   #1344
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey Kevin! Busy time of year for you. I get it. Lucky you, with the recession-proof career! Chime in when you can, and stay safe.

Unread 04/19/2020, 10:45 PM   #1345
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have to admit, I've really slacked on tank upkeep, during this pandemic situation. I'm obsessively following the news, like I might figure out some miraculous solution to it!

Today I did a pretty good export, mostly dictoya. It's not that bad of a plant but it's not green, and I'm trying to limit the back wall to (mostly) green plants. So I remove the plants I don't want, and favor the ones I do. I'm getting pretty decent coverage of the petticoat (verticillata) caulerpa. There's still the feather and fern caulerpas too. Unfortunately, they seem to prefer the sand to the wall. So I'll be going after them next. The job of getting the sand bed cleared is going to take several sessions of hard work. I'd really like to work on the tank for several consecutive days, if I can. We shall see…

Unread 04/21/2020, 11:41 AM   #1346
vlangel
Registered Member

It's weird but I am not working on my tank as much as I would expect to either considering that I have more down time than usual. I think being in the house makes me feel more stir crazy so I have been doing more yard work. Our yard never looked so nice in April! And it has even been unusually cold here for this time of year. Tomorrow morning is suppose to be 27°. Uhhg, I am not a fan, especially since I need to mow the 12 acres at our church since its the only day without all day rain forecasted. I will be layered up for sure.

Unread 04/21/2020, 11:42 AM   #1347
vlangel
Registered Member

Are you folks in Colorado in a stay at home order?

Unread 04/21/2020, 01:28 PM   #1348
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, Colorado has stay at home orders. I work from home anyway, so its not too big of an adjustment for me.

Unread 04/21/2020, 03:48 PM   #1349
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Yes, Colorado has stay at home orders. I work from home anyway, so its not too big of an adjustment for me.
I also do not work and so am home but the 'stay at home order' just makes me feel more confined, especially since we are having such a cold rainy April.

I do some shopping for some older folks (older is relative so they are older than me, ha ha!) but not getting out much beyond that. I am grateful for a suburban home with 2 acres that allows me to stretch my legs a bit.

Unread 04/22/2020, 08:12 AM   #1350
Chasmodes
Registered Member

OK, I've had 5 pages of reading to catch up, and a lot has happened with your tank, all good for the most part. Your last pics are pretty stunning. I agree with Dawn that a video would really be great, but I don't want to pressure you into it. Maybe some day...

I love the new tufted joint algae. It's really cool looking. And moving the turtle grass rock to the wall sounds like a great idea. Last I read, I think, is that it was doing well. Has it continued to grow? Is it spreading on the wall?

One last thought that I had as I read through your exchanges with Steve and ThePurple12 is that perhaps you wouldn't have to dose ammonia and such for plants if you had a large fish bioload. Is that your goal someday?

BTW, I think the Herald's angel would be a great addition. I know that I've said it before, but, I don't think it would decimate your macros. It may eat some, but I'm pretty sure it would just as readily go for added fish food.

Also, I found the mating ritual of your blennies interesting. Have you noticed any fry (fish larvae) at the water's surface?

Have you replaced the blue light bulb? Are the red macros coming back, if not?

One last thing...what do the bases of the mangroves look like? Are the roots sticking out like the larger plants do in the wild yet? I guess that takes a lot of time. But, I'm curious about that.

Again, your tank looks fantastic. Sorry that I've been away so long. I really enjoyed catching up though. Sorry for all of the questions LOL.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass