Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Civicman86
Registered Member

Need help designing plumbing...

Well Im somewhat new to this. Im very much a neat freak and like to have things look professional. I have done some plumbing on my current 29gallon tank. Ill be tackling a new beast here soon and need your help with it.

I received a 75g from my girlfriend. I dont have the money to set the tank up until I get my own house but I would like to go ahead and get it drilled and plumbing done. Unfortunatly the bottom of the tank cannot be drilled only the sides.

My main question is how would you all drill the tank? I want to have as little hardware inside the tank (i.e. powerheads, etc). This tank will have a sump underneath in the stand. I was thinking 2overflow drains in each corners of the tank. Whats the cleanest way for returns and for maximum flow indside the tank. Clean and un-noticable is what im really going for. I want people to look at the tank and what is inside, not my plumbing and what not.

Thanks in advance!

Current Tank Info: 75G FOWL Build
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 01:57 AM   #2
joelowrider
Moved On

I am not sure how you would plumb the side of the tank but they do sell over flows that hang on the back of your tank so you could still do the sump under the tank

joelowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 02:03 AM   #3
kgross
Premium Member

Do a search for a calfo overflow. That is what I would suggest to you for the overflow.

Kim

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
kgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Civicman86
Registered Member

Thanks alot kgross. Ill look at that up.

joe: On my 29gallon i have the back drilled and have a bulkead with a 90* fitting pointing up, and a strainer in that. It seems to work well but I know a bigger tank will need more than that.

I dont like overflow boxes becuase of the power goes out and im not home the suction is broken and potentially a wet floor.

Unread 05/18/2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Amador
Registered Member

If you use a quality overflow (Amiracle, Lifereef), you never lose siphon during a power outage. These have a compartment that has a constant water level which keeps the end of the U-tube submerged at all times. During normal operation this compartment overflows into another compartment which has a bulkhead that you plumb to your sump.

Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Civicman86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amador
If you use a quality overflow (Amiracle, Lifereef), you never lose siphon during a power outage. These have a compartment that has a constant water level which keeps the end of the U-tube submerged at all times. During normal operation this compartment overflows into another compartment which has a bulkhead that you plumb to your sump.
Interesting. I had alwasy heard you can use a pump to achieve the suction. I will definatly check those out!

Anyone have any ideas for returns? I dont really want powerheads in the tank but I dont see how im going to do without them and still have lots of flow in the tank.

Unread 05/18/2006, 04:56 PM   #7
tptp279
Registered Member

this is what i'm planning for my 46 in a couple of weeks. i'm puttin on just one pump so no powerheads, an iwaki md30 or 40 for the return. I'm Ting it off where one end goes to my aquaC EV120 in the sump and the other into the tank. on the return end that goes into the tank, i am going to check valve it. I'm going to let it rise all the way to the top and T it off so that it goes to both sides, run it down, and put T's and elbows so it points towards the corals to eliminate powerheads. as a precaution i will be using some locline so fish don't swim into the pvc and i will also be drilling a hole in the top of the return so if the checkvalue gives, i own't have to worry about it. another good thing about no powerheads, no skimmer pump, and an external pump is a lot less heat as well as electricity.

No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon rimless :)
tptp279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 10:09 PM   #8
phallock
Registered Member

Civicman, check out this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=473152

This is my Calfo-style overflow:

phallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Civicman86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phallock
Civicman, check out this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=473152

This is my Calfo-style overflow:
Do you have any pics of a full front view of the tank? I like that idea alot.

I have been looking around and I have another idea for my tank. Im thinking of making 7-8 holes in various parts of the tank. I will be for a overflow bulkhead that will go to my sump (I think I will only need one 1'' bulkhead to keep the flow down in the sump). Then I will have a pump that will put the water back into the tank via another hole in the tank. The other 6-7 holes will be used for a closed system. 2 for the pump feed and the other 4 will be used for the returns via a sea squirt 4 way.

Im sure I will modify this idea some but that is one of the ideas I have also thought about. Im really liking the calflo overflow box.