Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Sand Beds & Refugiums
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2000, 04:17 AM   #1
Flame*Angel
Premium Member

I've been reading a lot of posts about refugiums here and have noticed that many of the experts recommend them too. I'm planning a 120g with a Lifereef sump below in the basement. Someday, when my tank is very stable and mature I'd like to have a manderin dragonet and I've heard that these can benefit from a refugium.

Do many of you run a refugium? Would you say it's helping your tank overall? Also, how complicated are they to run? In "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner he mentions a sandbed, live rock and plant growth with maybe a few cleanup crew type critters - all under a grow light.

Would this need a pump? I don't understand how it would be connected to the system, before or after the protien skimmer.

Unread 09/18/2000, 07:24 AM   #2
Staceon
Premium Member

Good morning FA,

The term "refugium" seems to throw off some. The idea is two parted, one for extra food the other for export functions. A "refugium" can be anything, from a simple bredder box in the back corner of the tank, to a gravity feed tank located above the display. You can basically use anything that will hold water.

The export function is where hobbiest use macros and sometimes LR. These two will help to aid in conversion/uptake of nitrates.

The extra food comes from the fauna that will grow undistrubted from predators. So you pod pops have a place to multiply and hopefully leak back into the main system for extra food(they can also help in export).

There are all kinds of different fuges, from in-tank, gravity feed, in sump, to hang-on.

Dont know if this helps you or not, but hopefully might stir up so more questions.

Here is one link for more info:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/V.../refugium.html

Unread 09/18/2000, 08:02 AM   #3
smpolyp
Premium Member

It is glad to see that you are planning your tank out better than I did. I din't even think about a refugium when I started up my 230. I ended up not having any room ,but for a 20 gal tank. It still has alot of life and I enjoy it alot. It has alot of bugs and the Halimeda has just about taken over the whole tank.

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:10 AM   #4
DougL
Registered Member

Flame*Angel;

The link Staceon provided is IMHO the best refugium page out there. It even links to my more modest attempt at an explanation.

I run a refugium and see great benefits.
Lots of Export from macro and micro, lots of nutrient recycling and tons of life.
I would not run another system without at least a little one.

HTH;

DougL

------------------
Email: dougl@speakeasy.org
Alt email: douglxyzzy@netscape.net

Homepage sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/homepage

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:12 AM   #5
salttess
Registered Member

Can I ask where you guys buy the plants for the refugiums? and what kind they are? TIA

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:18 AM   #6
Staceon
Premium Member

salttess,

I use a variety of different macros...I got them all here:
www.inlandaquatics.com

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:25 AM   #7
Flamin`Angel
10 & Over Club

Hey Flame,
Flamin`here lol
Try out http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/refugium.html
After reading alot on this board I am convinced of the many benefits a refugie provides.
Maybe you should consider to make it a place also for a deep sandbed.RDP Reverse DaylightPhotosyntesis could also be helpful.This way you get maximum out of your algae/dsb/refugie,at a resonable cost!!
I plan to do this,but feel free to ask away.
Best Regards
Michael

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:25 AM   #8
RWD
Premium Member

I just set up a refugium on my new 300 reef. The water comes from a corner overflow. The container is a 25(?) gal Sterlite container. I put in 50 lbs of HD sand and about 10 lbs of live sand on top. I also added 15 lbs of live rock and some macro algae I had laying around. It is lit by a 65 watt pc fixture from Menards on a reverse daylight cycle. After only 2 weeks it looks good but it's hard to say if it has any effect on the tank so far. Here's a pic of it:

Bob

------------------
Visit my Reef Site

[This message has been edited by RWD (edited 09-18-2000).]

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:46 AM   #9
salttess
Registered Member

Hey Staceon, thanks I have been searching all over. Can I also put tang haven in there?

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:48 AM   #10
Staceon
Premium Member

Nope thats a www.ipsf.com product...sorry I just re-read your question. Yes you can put that in there. Sorry thought you were asking if you could buy from IA.

[This message has been edited by Staceon (edited 09-18-2000).]

Unread 09/18/2000, 11:51 AM   #11
salttess
Registered Member

Sure appreciate the help!! Tina

Unread 09/18/2000, 12:32 PM   #12
npaden
Registered Member

Flame,
Another vote for the benefits of a refugium for all of the above reasons.
I simply use a 15 gallon tank sitting on a bookshelf next to my tank for a refugium. The hardest part of my set up was finding a tall enough bookshelf with a big enough top to fit a decent sized tank.
Here are some pics of the refugium on my site:
Close up of refugium
Tank and refugium
Full view of tank (all open) and refugium

HTH, Nathan

------------------
Visit my homepage at padens.homepage.com

Unread 09/18/2000, 12:33 PM   #13
npaden
Registered Member

P.S. - I got my macroalgae from http://www.gulf-view.com when I ordered some live rock and sand from them.