Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2016, 06:07 PM   #1
jcs11236
Registered Member

BK Mini 160 and sump flow

Looking into upgrading my return pump to a DC. Just curious in knowing if different flow rates thru sump effect skimmer performance. For example: slower flow rate better for skimmer and contact time or faster flow better for turnover rate and new water goin thru sump for skimmer to skim. Or it doesn't make a difference
Please advise
Thanks

jcs11236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 08:25 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Not really. Some say that if your skimmer flows 300GPH (example) any more flow is a waste. At the end of the day, the skimmer can only remove so much dissolved organics anyway.. At the end of the day, set your sump flow for a minimum of 4x the display volume which is kind of a rule of thumb and you will be fine. Personally, I prefer higher flow rates through my sump but I've deigned my sumps to handle high flow rates. At the end of the day, as long as the water is flowing through the sump, the skimmer will remove the dissolved organics. If you have higher flow rates into the sump, you will have more of the dissolved organics passing through for the skimmer to remove faster.. Of course there is a point of diminishing return in terms of how much the skimmer can remove but as I said, at the end of the day, the skimmer will keep your dissolved organics consistently low regardless of the flow rates provided the flow isn't trickling into the sump and organics getting trapped in the display.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote